O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
just curios.......how long was it between the announcement of Texas being the site for the factory and the time they broke ground?.....doesn't seem like there was a long time.....

seems to me it was a very short time.....but approval of site, land sale, design and permits would take a long time.....just curious
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
just curios.......how long was it between the announcement of Texas being the site for the factory and the time they broke ground?.....doesn't seem like there was a long time.....

seems to me it was a very short time.....but approval of site, land sale, design and permits would take a long time.....just curious
Sounds like they chose Austin in May-July of 2020, they were flirting with several cities prior to that. Likely negotiated tax breaks and were assured fast track permitting in advance of the land purchase.

For building a factory of that size, they moved ***FAST***.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Texas one doesn’t predate the CT, but they are all similar. Shanghai shares that shape and I think was designed well prior to CT launch...
Yeah, but that doesn't mean the Cybertruck design elements weren't in the concept stage.

Elon does like simple shapes: Even the current headlights are these acute triangle shapes with apexes towards the center line but mapped onto the rounded shape.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, but that doesn't mean the Cybertruck design elements weren't in the concept stage.

Elon does like simple shapes: Even the current headlights are these acute triangle shapes with apexes towards the center line but mapped onto the rounded shape.

-Crissa
That implies the Cybertruck is so significant to Musk that he had Tesla build unrelated factories which will be building other cars as an homage to it before it was even announced.

I can see that. He definitely seems enamored with the Cybertruck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was more thinking first-principals: The design criteria which made him choose the headlights on the Cybertruck and the sharp angles on the Tesla logo led him to design the elements on the factories.

And then when they matched, they leaned into the similarities out of style.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounds like they chose Austin in May-July of 2020, they were flirting with several cities prior to that. Likely negotiated tax breaks and were assured fast track permitting in advance of the land purchase.

For building a factory of that size, they moved ***FAST***.
agreed......but they were toying with other sites I think knowing full well they were going to Austin.......I guess design had already been completed prior to may - jul.....I just find it unimaginable that they drew design in 3 months......surely Tesla knew where they were going and just delayed the announcement.....thats all I am saying.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
since waiting on a stainless steel box to come out of the plant, they cannot build it fast enough.

Outside looking in, impressive.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
agreed......but they were toying with other sites I think knowing full well they were going to Austin.......I guess design had already been completed prior to may - jul.....I just find it unimaginable that they drew design in 3 months......surely Tesla knew where they were going and just delayed the announcement.....thats all I am saying.
Factory was probably pre designed and the all they had to do was enter site specifics like water, roads and software spit out the plans.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe?

I think they preferred Austin, but negotiating tax deals and finding property was always going to be a big component of this. No tax deal was going to work if they couldn’t find a location for their campus.

From the sounds of it, the real estate deal went through quite fast and the rest came.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/10/14/crea-deal-of-the-year-tesla-plant.html

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
How long did Randy say he was going to be off till? Two weeks....???? :unsure:
Man this is a long wait for sure.... Hope Randy is recovering fast. We are missing the star of the thread...... :cool:. Honestly this thread is the only reason I visit this website so often.... :LOL:
Wishing all the best to you Randy. (y)

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hey guys! I had technical difficulties when I tried to film Monday (DJI App suddenly kept crashing when I tried to start it), but everything has been resolved and we're good to go now. Here's Tuesday afternoon's footage!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This project at this stage is in need of a schematic breakout by zones. That will geo fence outside bldg progress into narratives people can attach meaningful value.

Inside bldg ditto… with a virtual 2D scheme to relate to operations(Admin, showroom, engineering, logistics, staging, factory floor, casting plant, pre/post prep, paintshop, fit & trim, etc…) no need to film it but an aural walkthru would be useful on some type of repeating schedule.

That is a heavy lift but to this old timers eye the building is looking like April 2023 hand over 100%. Outside the building footprint Oct 2023. Surely that can’t be correct. That’s 12 mos. beyond expectations.

Sure partial occupancy and pilot production are going to be ramping but Tesla is not going to have a factory firing on all cylinders until OCT 2023.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I appreciate the answers.....comedy relief and all but I'm really interested in the design.
Any design engineers on here that can give some insight as to the lack of square corners?
It's not like we got anything else to do until our trucks get here.
Watch @BoomTrooper O.H. shots around those corners cut off. Notice the heavy civil waterworks engineering. It appears that GigaAUSTIN factory footprint literally ran out of land.

Corners were cut to accommodate the factory effluent, site constraints and egress for access around the structure. The tell is that they cut the corners of the building to maximize interior factory floor space to accommodate ”something”. Rather than simply pull the end of the building back keeping it square. Every sq in. was valuable enough to pay the cost of angle forming footings, foundations, exterior walls carried all the way to the roof. Something was worth it over and above architectural aesthetics.
Sponsored