What CT info would you like to know first?

What piece of CT info is most important to you?

• Total voters

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Yeah… likely not great for a teardrop, but in the cab of the truck or if HVAC gets into the vault should be fine since the truck is heated/ cooled by a much more efficient heat pump.
agreed.
Sponsored

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Any Official information would be nice, like if were ever going to get a CT!
Getting bored of hearsay and rumours
I really can’t understand the lack of any official information from Tesla even if it’s the odd progress update
After all they have got more than a few interested people ( who have been helping fund Mr Musks bloody company 🙄)
Like is there a right hand version Would be a great start.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
If the tonneau is lucky enough to put out 600 watts at an average of 5 to 6 hours of sunlight a day, that's only enough to power a small 1500 watt space heater for a couple hours. You might still want to bring your propane heater. Just don't run it in poorly ventilated spaces.

That's probably going to become a very good rule of thumb for EV camping. Don't use the battery for heating if it can be avoided.
I hadn't thought of heating. That's what a sleeping bag is for, I can't imagine camping much more below -2C or so, ew. No, I was thinking of pretty much everything else. Induction cook top, water pump, lights, etc. If it got cold enough to need a space heater while I'm SLEEPING, yeah, definitely gonna pass out in the truck

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I hadn't thought of heating. That's what a sleeping bag is for, I can't imagine camping much more below -2C or so, ew. No, I was thinking of pretty much everything else. Induction cook top, water pump, lights, etc. If it got cold enough to need a space heater while I'm SLEEPING, yeah, definitely gonna pass out in the truck
You run all that off propane? Either way, electricity is not the solution for heating.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
You run all that off propane? Either way, electricity is not the solution for heating.
I think you might be lowballing what 15 miles / day looks like on the cybertruck. Obviously it will vary greatly from weather, etc. So let's just cut it in half and look at the ball-park estimated numbers, which I hope are also low:
Estimations:
120kWh battery pack for around 285 miles of range (this is a guess!)

120kWh / 285 miles == 421 Wh / mile
(7.5 mile /day) * (421 Wh/mile) == 3.16kWh

3.16kWh / 750W = 4.21 hours
on REALLY cold days, a 750W electric space heater would run on that for 4 hours, in a tiny space like a well insulated Mammoth overland trailer, I'm sooooo happy with that, friend! Just turn it on low to keep the space around 5C and I'm good in a sleeping bag! Reevaluate in the morning. Fortunately when it isn't sunny, it's usually warmer than clear skys at night.

Another way to calculate it is to take the low-end of estimations for what can fit on the truck: 500W of solar. With just 6 hours of charging:
500 W * (6 h / day)== 3kWh / day

Yup, I'm still giddy for that!

And yes, definitely going to run an induction cook top and a water pump on it too! Of course, I plan on adding about 200W of solar to the trailer in addition to whatever the truck has.

Cheers

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A heat pump is more efficient than a resistive heater.

So much so it's more efficient to run a small mini-split off a natural gas generator than to burn that gas for heat.

(But no, the tonneau is not going to keep your toes warm).

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
A heat pump is more efficient than a resistive heater.

So much so it's more efficient to run a small mini-split off a natural gas generator than to burn that gas for heat.

-Crissa
True, mostly.

A heat pump CAN be more efficient than a resistive heater.

Resistive heater is 100% efficient always. (Unless something was done very wrong).
Heat pump efficiency varies based on the temperature differential between where the heat is being pulled from (outside), and where it's being pumped into (passenger cabin).
If it's 60°F outside and you want the cabin to be 70°F, the heat pump will most likely be around 400% efficient. But if it's -20°F outside and you want the cabin to be 70°F, the heat pump will probably be 100% efficient.

The colder it is outside, the more you need something to supply heat. Heatpump efficiently is inversely proportional to heat required. If it's a cool 60°F California Morning, heatpump works excellent. If it's a frigid Canadian winter night, there is virtually no benefit to heat pump over resistive heater.

For most of the US a heat pump is a great idea. This conversation is about camping, and in almost all of those cases a heat pump would work fine. (Not many of you are camping in sub zero temps). When I was a kid, we had an old school bus converted into a camper. It had a propane furnace installed that came from a mobile home. We used it for many years as deer camp (Upper Michigan, November). Running a heat pump off a propane powered generator would not have been the the best setup for that scenario. But I freely admit, my experiences are not typical.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
You know the solar tonneau will add less than 10 miles with a full day of sun right?
15 per Elon's tweet... Almost a full commute for me. It would be nice if it at least cuts the vampiric drain.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, heat pumps require an operating range and are more weather averse. But some are fine at -20F

Still, at the very worst, they're only slightly less efficient.

Just like 'Why aren't all AC units also a heat pump?' The question should be asked, 'Why doesn't this just have resistor coils for instant/backup heating?'

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
IMO this is the big problem with camping in the bed. Adding HVAC to the vault isn’t going to cut it for camping. It works quite well for the cabin because the cabin is fairly well sealed and insulated. Even the cabin glass is designed with laminated panels to insulate it. The vault is not insulated at all. Blowing warm air is damned near like blowing it outside. The vault cover is likely aluminum or steel sheets which have near zero insulation and would likely have a ton of condensation on them if you slept in it with warm air blowing into the vault.

Sounds great… I think in practice it would be a poor experI ence.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
He exaggerates.
Solar capacity is almost always quoted “Under ideal conditions”. If you park the truck in the hot sun angled south in Southern California… Here in Oregon maybe we’d get half that. A third in the winter.

That’s all aside from the point. Going camping and not having the battery discharging every day is what I’m looking for. Going to the airport and returning to a full battery after 2 weeks in Hawaii. 5 miles per day is fine.
Sponsored