What steering wheel would you like to see?

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
After watching the few Plaid MSs videos that are now up on the net with ordinary people drving it, I want the yoke in my CT!
:)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's what computers are for.

Also, if you do that and are collided with, you're going to break your arm and suffer aconcussion.

-Crissa

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
All reversing done that way for me. (Assume many others too) I am betting it will not be a yoke. If I am wrong I will let your reservation line placement be after mine.
The CT will probably take the brains out of trailer backing. Have some faith. Or not, if your reservation is earlier than mine.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
All reversing done that way for me. (Assume many others too) I am betting it will not be a yoke. If I am wrong I will let your reservation line placement be after mine.
NICE

Ginger

First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus hybrid
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I love the futuristic look of the CT, but, I also would like to have a regular steering wheel. Love the look of that steering wheel on the Audi. I wish Elon will consider making this an option. If not, any idea how much it would cost to have it changed out after possession, or if that can even be done?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I love the futuristic look of the CT, but, I also would like to have a regular steering wheel. Love the look of that steering wheel on the Audi. I wish Elon will consider making this an option. If not, any idea how much it would cost to have it changed out after possession, or if that can even be done?
The steering yoke is controversial enough that you can pretty much guarantee the aftermarket will have alternative solutions.

So far Elon has expressed reticence to offering alternative solutions.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
After watching the few Plaid MSs videos that are now up on the net with ordinary people drving it, I want the yoke in my CT!
:)
"Ordinary" people as opposed to "extra ordinary" as in..........?

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Then there are "ordinary "S" owners, "extra-ordinary Plaid S" drivers, "ordinary would be single motor CT drivers, extra-ordinary would be dual motor CT drivers, the extra extra ordinary "would-be" tri-motor CT drivers, then the Super extra extra ordinary Plaid Super Plus quad motor CT, and finally, there is the largest group, the "Down-in-the-Dumps Shoulda Coulda Wouldas CT Might have Drivens" if this project goes bust. I've been there with the BD5-D (#335 out of over 6,000 sold). You could pick us out of any crowd. We were the ones pouting so badly that the crows roosted on our protruding lower lips, just before we ate them. It happens. Jim Bede was the Elon Musk of his time for aircraft innovation. $39,900 CT with $100 deposit is eerily similar. The BD5 was a low wing pusher prop, retractable tri-gear high performance aircraft; 232 mph on 70 hp. He even had a "plaid" version, the BD5J, a jet powered pocket rocket which was featured and flown in the James Bond 007 "Octopussy" movie. Like most Teslas, it was out of my league, but the certified production BD5D wasn't. At $4,400 and $400 deposit, it was the "poor pilot's' dream come true in the 70's. I never got to fly mine, but I dutifully forked over $50 to fly the trainer at the Mojave Airstrip in the Mojave Desert, California. Jim Bede went belly up eventually. There are a number of the kit versions airworthy and flying. My nearest dealer finally finished his and promptly crashed it on the maiden flight. Something stupid like not turning a fuel valve on. (Don't do anything stupid!). My point is, Elon is far beyond what Jim Bede was, but Jim Bede was far beyond what everybody else was in the 60's too. If I am not mistaken, Burt Rutan (who helped design the BD5) is also the one who designed the unusual aircraft that John Denver was killed in. We all have hopes and dreams for the CT. I am no different, but Jim Bede also had other aircraft that he designed and sold just like Tesla does cars, so if the CT project doesn't come to complete fruition, don't go jumping out of any high rise windows. I am proof that there is life after huge disappointments if they do befall us.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The opinions of "Ordinary People" don't interest me. How do weird people feel about the yoke?

You can identify them because they have bumper stickers like such:

"Model TARDIS"

"88 MPH"

"My other car is a broom"

"ROCKIT88"

"As You Wish"

If you get the second 88 reference without Google, then you get it.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
…If I am not mistaken, Burt Rutan (who helped design the BD5) is also the one who designed the unusual aircraft that John Denver was killed in.
Don’t blame Burt for John Denver’s death. Denver was flying a uniquely modified Long Eze where the fuel tank selector was behind his left shoulder (the idea for that mod was simpler plumbing). To top it off the knob was stripped so he was using a pair of vice grips to turn it. He forgot to switch tanks and the tank ran dry shortly after taking off so he had to look over his shoulder while frantically trying to rotate the valve with a pair of pliers! That resulted in an unnoticed roll and steep dive into the bay. RIP.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Don’t blame Burt for John Denver’s death. Denver was flying a uniquely modified Long Eze where the fuel tank selector was behind his left shoulder (the idea for that mod was simpler plumbing). To top it off the knob was stripped so he was using a pair of vice grips to turn it. He forgot to switch tanks and the tank ran dry shortly after taking off so he had to look over his shoulder while frantically trying to rotate the valve with a pair of pliers! That resulted in an unnoticed roll and steep dive into the bay. RIP.
I'd like to add that I read it was his first flight in a plane he had just purchased. Here's a memorial near the site where he crashed, in the Pacific near Monterey Bay.
Tesla Cybertruck What steering wheel would you like to see? denvermemorial

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The big thing with John Denver is always do your own pre-flight. If you ask someone else to do the pre-flight for you, you don't know what assumptions they have made or even if they have necessarily *done* the pre-flight.

I would never take off in an aircraft with fuel in only one tank. It's one thing to have an engine die when you are 8,000 feet above ground. It's happened to me. It's a whole other ball of wax when you are 200 feet off the surface.

Fuel gauges lie and your best mechanic makes mistakes. Walk the plane, open the fuel cap and make sure there is Avgas sloshing around in there. There is no substitute.

I'm not panning JD, but ultimately he got into an aircraft without doing his own pre-flight inspection and paid the price.