Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
120v/12a gave me a bit of usage anxiety, but I only had that for about a week and we were using the car more as a new toy. I already had a welder outlet, so I just extended that and it's shared (only one can plug in at a time).
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
120v/12a gave me a bit of usage anxiety, but I only had that for about a week and we were using the car more as a new toy. I already had a welder outlet, so I just extended that and it's shared (only one can plug in at a time).
I used 120V/12 amps for almost a year with my Model 3. It's fine if you don't need to actually drive any distance or pre-heat the cabin on a winter morning to defrost the glass and reduce battery wear. I would not recommend it unless you are 80 years old and a big day is going to a doctor's appointment. That's a little exaggeration, but not much. Even just the defroster will draw 4 times as much electricity as the 12 amp outlet can provide, running down your battery unneccesarily before you even leave your house!

It's dumb to charge with 120 volts except in an emergency, get a real EV charging circuit installed, it's easy, we installed three of them at two homes and life is *much* better. That's my experience with a Model 3, a Cybertruck will be that times two! I recommend shooting for at least a 60 amp 240 volt circuit but if your panel has special constraints, 30 amps 240 volt would probably work adequately. Residential electrical infrastructure is under-rated with the world pivoting towards electrical everything faster than you can say, "charge me up".

Gas cans are out, big breakers are in.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I've never used the defroster at all. For half the year, we pre-cool the cabin before each drive, and that runs 4kW-6kW, highest when it's super hot of course. That's much more than the 120v charger provides, but then the pre-cooling only runs for 5-10 minutes.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
For half the year, we pre-cool the cabin before each drive, and that runs 4kW-6kW, highest when it's super hot of course. That's much more than the 120v charger provides, but then the pre-cooling only runs for 5-10 minutes.
???
6 kW for 10 min (1/6 hr) is 1 kWh. 120 V @ 12 A is 1440 kW. Thus the 120V charger will supply the energy necessary to precool your car in less than an hr.

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
120v * 12a = 1440 WATTS, not kilowatts. The maximum for a common outlet is 1800 watts, and Tesla will only use about 80%.

Cooling is using up to 6000 watts, as measured by the home energy monitor.

240v * 30a = 7200 watts

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But of course, the car has a battery. So it can easily run the 6000 watts.

As you pointed out, the 1400 watts from the charger won't cover it... However, if it's plugged in, instead of using 6000 watts from the battery it'll use 6000 watts in minus 1400 watts from the charger = only 4600 are actually needed from the battery.

And if it only runs for five minutes, that 4600 watts is actually only 383 watt-hours. Which is about a mile or two of range. The charger will put that back into the battery in 16 minutes. (383 watt-hours divided by 1400 watts = 27% of an hour * 60 minutes = 16 minutes)

This is all done neatly since watt hours are, well, divided by an hour.

Adding a bit more than twenty minutes to your car's prep time - which the computer in your Tesla will calculate automatically - and the battery will be topped back up before you leave.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
120v * 12a = 1440 WATTS, not kilowatts.
Correct.

The maximum for a common outlet is 1800 watts, and Tesla will only use about 80%.
= 1440W. Correct

Cooling is using up to 6000 watts, as measured by the home energy monitor.
OK
... but then the pre-cooling only runs for 5-10 minutes.
OK
6 kW for 10 min (1/6 hr) is 1 kWh. 120 V @ 12 A is 1440 kW. Thus the 120V charger will supply the energy necessary to precool your car in less than an hr.
= 60*1000/1440 =41.7 min. Correct.

What is it you are not understanding?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A year into it and I still haven’t gotten motivated enough to install a Wall Charger. Still on 120v for the Model Y.

But there will be a wall charger in place well before the Cybertruck gets here. I can deal with +50 miles per day with the Model Y, the Cybertruck will likely be +30 miles per day which is pretty limiting.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
I'm literally going to use the same 26-amp level 2 charger for the CT that I have been using to charge my Nissan Leaf with. Nothing crazy here.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm literally going to use the same 26-amp level 2 charger for the CT that I have been using to charge my Nissan Leaf with. Nothing crazy here.
Assuming it’s a J1772 connector that’s perfect. The Tesla one might be a little nicer if you squint hard.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nio doesn’t have any battery adapter, because they swap your battery, instead.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would be nice if you could have a sheet metal cavity in the truck area to stuff the charging cable and adapter so that it wouldn’t be exposed to the public to steal. Or have it plugged in from the inside of the trunk.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Nio doesn’t have any battery adapter, because they swap your battery, instead.
NIOs have chargers?
https://www.nio.com/nio-power

How would they charge at home otherwise?

It would be nice if you could have a sheet metal cavity in the truck area to stuff the charging cable and adapter so that it wouldn’t be exposed to the public to steal. Or have it plugged in from the inside of the trunk.
How does it get to the wall if it's stuffed inside a steel cavity?

-Crissa
Sponsored