Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No, not in my worst nightmare. It's terribly inefficient.
I think it is less efficient, I’m just not sold on the magnitude here.

Would love to see some more solid numbers on this with someone measuring the actual wattage consumed.

Are you thinking like 5% less efficient? I could buy that, but it’s not saving me much money.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is so much wrong here I don't have the time to fix it now. Let it be sufficient to let newbies know that all of the above information should not be relied upon.
Let me suggest that you pick ONE thing that is wrong in my post and perhaps we can discuss that. The reason I respond to posts here at all is out of fear that newbies will come to believe some of the nonsense that gets posted in these forums so that they can make informed decisions.

If we can pick one of my errors and dissect it a bit then potentially we both and the newbies will learn something.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The reason I respond to posts here at all is out of fear that newbies will come to believe some of the nonsense that gets posted in these forums so that they can make informed decisions.
Yes, that's why I responded to your wall of nonsense. Electricity is already a mystery to most, and seeing BS added is sad. I just realized why everyone was talking about having you on ignore. Being the most ignored person on the forum must be interesting.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Technocrat - Gaslights, equivocates, condescends, ad hominem attacks, or plays semantic games when challenged.

In his defense, I don't recall a time when he gaslighted.

OP
OP
BigAl

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey guys, thanks for all the input... I'm learning a lot. Just trying to do it one time and get it set up right the first time. This will be my first EV, then going to purchase the MY for my wife afterwards, so I want to set everything up now rather than later.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, that's why I responded to your wall of nonsense. Electricity is already a mystery to most, and seeing BS added is sad. I just realized why everyone was talking about having you on ignore. Being the most ignored person on the forum must be interesting.
Well I actually have a BS in electrical engineering and a MS too from a very good engineering school. How do you suppose I fooled my employers over all those years?

Anyway, I extend the same challenge to you. Pick ONE thing that I have said here that is BS (and please pick something more meaningful than an omitted decimal point) and let's discuss it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Oh wow. I guess I must have. Sorry for being so wrong an thank you for correcting me.
I'm just glad I didn't have to backhand you again. Even though you told me you like it.

Have we officially killed this thread now? I should go peek in on the 40 pages of key fob size whining on the Jeep forum.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
As noted in the last paragraph charging isn't really any more efficient at 48A than it is at 10A. Another thing to keep in mind is that faster charging is harder on the battery than slower. Thus a battery charged at 10A will have more capacity at the end of 5 years than one charged at 48. Will the difference be significant? Maybe is the best I can say.
Good post, adj, but in thermally controlled batteries, this isn't true. To have an effect it needs to produce more heat than the thermal management system can handle. And the thermal mass of the battery pack itself also puts a lower bound on whether the pack suffers from heating or not.

If we were talking a Leaf, sure, but you could do your weekly charging at a Supercharger and not see charger related battery degradation over the life of a Tesla.

-Crissa

PS, sizing for the generator is why I chose a 30a plug for my charging solution. But if you have a Tesla, you merely need to into the settings to change the peak draw during a charging session to charge at a lower rate. Similarly a Wall charging station can be limited this way.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Several of us have repeatedly pointed out that median miles mean nothing.
Everyone I know (anecdote, yes, duh) has different "average" and "peak" driving. I myself have basically zero normal days and only outlier days. My average miles are well below the national average, and yet a Leaf or Smart could not fit my "normal" days which are generally higher miles.
You are advertising that you don't understand how to interpret statistics. Please be aware that there are in fact people on this forum who do.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You are advertising that you don't understand how to interpret statistics. Please be aware that there are in fact people on this forum who do.
You are advertising that you didn’t bother to read their posts. Please be aware that there are in fact people on this forum who do.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If I burn 80% of my range on Friday. The fact that I was able to charge 20% per day on Monday through Friday doesn’t help me get to the trailhead on Saturday.

There are many many cases where *average* use is irrelevant.

I think by nature trucks tend to be burstier in nature too. I don’t need a truck often during the week, but needing to drive significant miles in a truck on both days on the weekend is quite common.
Sponsored