Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's that time of year when we get the mailer telling us what the mix of sources was for our power.

https://3cenergy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/3CE-JointRateMailer-ETOUC-2021-v7ADA.pdf
2021 Residential Rate Comparison, ETOUC*
PG&E3Cchoice
Generation Rate ($/kWh)$0.11101$0.06325
Delivery Rate ($/kWh)$0.17607$0.17607
PCIA/FF ($/kWh)N/A$0.04753
Total Electricity Cost ($/kWh)$0.28708 $0.28685
Average Monthly Bill ($)$122.60 $122.50

Electric Power Generation Mix (% of Total Retail Sales (MWh))

Renewable
• Biomass & Biowaste
• Geothermal
• Eligible Hydroelectric
• Solar Electric
• Wind

Coal
Large Hydroelectric
Natural Gas
Nuclear
Other
Unspecified Sources of Power†

Total
PG&E

31%
3%
3%
1%
16%
8%

0%
10%
16%
43%
0%
0%

100%
3Cchoice

31%
2%
9%
3%
15%
2%

0%
56%
0%
0%
0%
13%

100%

So what's yours? I actually get 3Cprime which is only a cent or two higher than the baseline listed here, which then goes to pay for solar installation elsewhere in the grid (replacing my hydro mix). There's a troubling 13%, but part of that is because our grid is a subset, far away from most generation, a bunch of our energy comes as extra spot-purchasing which may jus be energy credits rather than specific generator purchases. That's why they're putting the biggest battery facility in NA in Moss Landing, which is inside the central coast communities service area.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don't have that detailed a breakdown, but most of our power comes from Bonneville hydro on the Columbia and we pay $0.08 per kWh. I'll see if I can chase down a power bill when I get home tonight.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Elexicon Energy
Generation Rate ($/kWh)8.2¢/kWh Off-Peak Price
11.3¢/kWh Mid-Peak Price
17.0¢/kWh On-Peak Price
Delivery Rate ($/kWh)$0.0122/kWh Transmission
$0.0012/kWh Distribution
Customer charge /month$28.45 per month
Average Monthly Bill ($)$209 Canadian

Power mix in Ontario - in the last hour
Tesla Cybertruck What's your energy mix/price? 1625694260918

(source: GridWatch.ca)

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Elexicon Energy
Generation Rate ($/kWh)8.2¢/kWh Off-Peak Price
11.3¢/kWh Mid-Peak Price
17.0¢/kWh On-Peak Price
Delivery Rate ($/kWh)$0.0122/kWh Transmission
$0.0012/kWh Distribution
Customer charge /month$28.45 per month
Average Monthly Bill ($)$209 Canadian

Power mix in Ontario - in the last hour
1625694260918.png

(source: GridWatch.ca)
You can honestly say, your CT is nuclear powered.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Here is my mix in Wisconsin. This is actual mix in 2020

Renewables5.3%
Coal31.4%
Natural gas/oil32.4%
Other30.9%
Total100%

So during my search for this data I stumbled upon information about a program called Energy for Tomorrow. I remember reading about it a long time ago when I did a similar dive into my utilities website. Basically you can choose to pay a higher rate for your power to have it certified as renewable energy. You can choose 25%, 50% or 100% of your power be certified sourced from renewable. Here's what surprised me, it's fairly cheap. I currently pay 14¢/kWh. Going 100% renewable increases that by 2¢. I just signed up for the 100% plan. My highest electric usage is under 700kWh in a month. So my worst increase will be less than $14.

The 2020 actual mix for the Energy for Tomorrow plan was:

Biomass28%
Solar8%
Wind65%
Total100%

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Reading available online sources, PAN has grid development under study as of 2016 halting license of further renewable energy projects. It has a wind farm that’s added to the mix since this data was published. HYDRO is in the crapper since 2013 AGW.

Unstable daily grid shutdowns are the norm.

Energy sourcePercent of the total electricity generation in PanamaPercent of the total electricity generation in the Americas Percent of the total electricity generation for the world
Fossil34.9757.0165.78
Wind3.384.44.71
Solar0.50.821.93
Hydro61.1522.2116.82
Nuclear015.1710.42
Geothermal00.390.33
figures as of 2016

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I do not have a handy chart of percentages. Coal is down to 53% in my state and wind is growing much faster than solar, especially in the northern half of the state (very flat, good wind).

Renewable resources accounted for more than one-tenth of Indiana's utility-scale (1 megawatt or larger) generating capacity and supplied 9% of the state's total electricity net generation in 2020. Wind energy contributed the largest share at about 7%. The state's first utility-scale wind project, the 103.5-megawatt Benton County Wind Farm, came online in 2008. Today, wind turbines can be seen across central Indiana, and the state has more than 2,940 megawatts of wind capacity.
Source

In the southern half of the state, solar is growing, just not at the industrial scale and amount that wind in the north is.
Lots of info about locations of sources of power here, but I wish there was a bigger push for solar.
Indiana Energy Atlas

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
Here is mine:

Customer Charge$10.00 per meter
Energy Charge (May–October)
July 2021
Base rate per kWh $0.129402
MINUS the PCRF
–​
$0.0320
=​
$0.097402 per kWh
Energy Charge (May–October)
June 2021
Base rate per kWh $0.129402
MINUS the PCRF
–​
$0.0340
=​
$0.095402 per kWh

Sources:
Natural Gas - 47%
Wind - 21%
Coal - 20%
Nuclear - 10%
Solar - 2%
Biomass - <1%

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
I truly hope that these increases come as NO surprise to most of you. As our country continues to move towards renewables and away from fossil fuels, who do we think is going to pay for all the new system installations. Who’s gonna pay to redesign and construct a new grid system because the old one damn sure ain’t going to support the demand of all these new EVs. It’s only gonna get worse, better get that solar system now if ya can. @Crissa, your super good with numbers…at what price for electricity do we all scream “Uncle”??

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I truly hope that these increases come as NO surprise to most of you. As our country continues to move towards renewables and away from fossil fuels, who do we think is going to pay for all the new system installations. Who’s gonna pay to redesign and construct a new grid system because the old one damn sure ain’t going to support the demand of all these new EVs. It’s only gonna get worse, better get that solar system now if ya can. @Crissa, your super good with numbers…at what price for electricity do we all scream “Uncle”??
Renewables are actually lowering the cost of electricity compared to coal and gas. Fossil fuel plants cost hundreds of millions to build and maintain and then you still have to buy fuel to feed them. Solar plus battery storage is already cheaper than coal in many areas.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Renewables are actually lowering the cost of electricity compared to coal and gas. Fossil fuel plants cost hundreds of millions to build and maintain and then you still have to buy fuel to feed them. Solar plus battery storage is already cheaper than coal in many areas.
Would you please show me where you are getting your information from. Shutting down perfectly operating power plants that just spent billions of dollars to comply with the EPA standards to install solar systems that cannot possibly produce the power that the plant was shut down is no where near, and can never be economical to do so. Reference San Juan Generating station in the four corners area and you will quickly understand the size of this facility. Thousand of people out of work and the state is now concerned the power is not going to be available for the consumers. Solar in no way shape or form can compete against a coal fired plant. It simply can’t happen period.

Deleted member 5322

Here is what i got from SMUD CA, kind of expencieve but for CA is fine:
Tesla Cybertruck What's your energy mix/price? 1626932340721

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
@Crissa, your super good with numbers…at what price for electricity do we all scream “Uncle”??
Dude, I pay the highest price anyone has listed in this thread (tho I know San Diego and Hawaii pay higher).

EVs are actually not a big drain on the grid because their power use is counter-cyclical. They're batteries that we charge off peak. And most are smart appliances so they can control when and how much they suck down. They'll actually help the grid.

-Crissa

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Dude, I pay the highest price anyone has listed in this thread (tho I know San Diego and Hawaii pay higher).

EVs are actually not a big drain on the grid because their power use is counter-cyclical. They're batteries that we charge off peak. And most are smart appliances so they can control when and how much they suck down. They'll actually help the grid.

-Crissa
Crissa,
I ment no offense to you, I apologize if you took it that way. I hold the highest regard for your comments on this forum. IMO…when the price per kWh reaches .36 cents, most folks will be trading their EV’s in for ICE vehicles if the fuel prices remain as they are. Your at .28 cents now, I’m at .06 cents and .26 cents, we’re not far off. Doesn’t matter when we plug in our EVs, day or night, the grid can only handle so much. I understand everyone will take advantage during off peak hours, the breaker from hell will trip during the night as well as during the day. We’re talking about an additional load here that the grid is not accustom to. It’s going to get interesting within the next 10 years, I don’t expect to be around then but, my grandkids will be left to deal with the outcome.?
Sponsored