Where will Tesla get 4680 batteries for the CyberTruck in 2024?

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
sing me up for the spaces edition- basement owner, not dweller (although I have one of those)! :)
I have a November 2019 reservation, but not the first day, so I am not sure when I will be offered an opportunity to complete my order. I am in....no matter what they call it.
Fall of 2025 is my expectation/hope. I will wire the money the day I get my email. (As long as it is not over $99,000 base. Have to pay for the FSD as well. Wonder if they will hold the original price for FSD that we committed to).
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The "First Edition", or whatever Elon will call it, is bound to be pricey. Elon is a firm believer in Supply & Demand. The supply with be low, the demand huge, there is no reason Tesla will price the CT at launch to satisfy those living in basements.
Early adoptees almost always pay a bit more. Tesla is likely to release the best versions first. And while Elon is a fan of supply and demand, he also knows to temper that with long-term thinking in mind. He does not want to price early editions so high that they have to dramatically chop the prices as soon as existing reservations go away. He's a very practical thinker and believes in keeping it real. There is not a chance in hell that anyone will have to pay $89K just to own a Cybertruck.

I hope they release a model so bad-ass it can sell in volume for that much but I'm not seeing it. I'm sure you could get the price that high if you include enough optional accessories like quad motors and 500 plus miles of range, solar banks, winches and the like but the last thing Elon is going to do is price the mainstream truck buyer out of the market.

Watch and see.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon is a firm believer in Supply & Demand. The supply with be low, the demand huge, there is no reason Tesla will price the CT at launch to satisfy those living in basements.
Elon has never, ever spiked the price on people who had reservations.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I think the Elecktrek or their source got over zealous with the mention of 4680, because CATL was talking about a structural battery pack like that of the 4680 and density of a similar volume to 4680, not 4680 sized cylindrical cells.

If you go to CATL's website, they never say the Qilin battery is a cylinder. They talk about the cooling in this long thin separator and it is up against the cell... I believe the Qilin cells are polygonal (rectangular box) and not a cylinder. I of course could be wrong, as I am basing this on translated article on CATL's webpage...

There is a different article about how CATL is going to build two factories, one in China, one in Europe, that will each produce 20GWh of batteries that will be cylinders and will sell some (or all) to BMW between 2025 and 2030...

The image on this page also seems to re-enforce that the cells are not cylinders.

But the high energy density claims are for the Qilin battery cell and I have not found anything that says the Qilin battery cell is a cylinder. If someone comes across a source that does not seem to be parroting Elecktrek, I would be happy to be corrected.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Elon has never, ever spiked the price on people who had reservations.

-Crissa
He did *raise* the price on the original Roadster but it was an incremental price raise, not a "spike". He did that because his business partner had been falsifying records about how much the Roadster actually cost to build. Elon knew a sustainable business had to sell products that didn't lose a ton of money and he did the right thing to ensure the survival of the company.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
He did *raise* the price on the original Roadster but it was an incremental price raise, not a "spike". He did that because his business partner had been falsifying records about how much the Roadster actually cost to build. Elon knew a sustainable business had to sell products that didn't lose a ton of money and he did the right thing to ensure the survival of the company.
And it was optional. People could sit on their reservations. He went around, begged them to load up with options and got more investments.

Tesla isn't in that situation now, they have more money in the bank than they know what to do with.

-Crissa

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the Elecktrek or their source got over zealous with the mention of 4680, because CATL was talking about a structural battery pack like that of the 4680 and density of a similar volume to 4680, not 4680 sized cylindrical cells.

If you go to CATL's website, they never say the Qilin battery is a cylinder. They talk about the cooling in this long thin separator and it is up against the cell... I believe the Qilin cells are polygonal (rectangular box) and not a cylinder. I of course could be wrong, as I am basing this on translated article on CATL's webpage...

There is a different article about how CATL is going to build two factories, one in China, one in Europe, that will each produce 20GWh of batteries that will be cylinders and will sell some (or all) to BMW between 2025 and 2030...

The image on this page also seems to re-enforce that the cells are not cylinders.

But the high energy density claims are for the Qilin battery cell and I have not found anything that says the Qilin battery cell is a cylinder. If someone comes across a source that does not seem to be parroting Elecktrek, I would be happy to be corrected.
We don't know what Tesla has negotiated with CATL, LG or Samsung.

We do know Tesla is trying to get as many battery sources lined up as possible.
We do know Tesla is not solely depending on their own battery production to supply every Tesla built. CATL, LG and Samsung make money building and selling batteries. Therefore it is not impossible CATL and the others are building or planning to build more factories. And will supply whatever Tesla asks them to build.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla has already stated they have /will have enough batteries to satisfy their current plans. (did they say for the medium term?)

That would include CT, Semi, Mexico. And all current factories scaling up. imo

They also said they may face another shortage cycle longer term . I guess this may include the new factory perhaps announced later this year, and certainly, the extreme scale rollout of megapacks to 1TW by 2030.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla has already stated they have /will have enough batteries to satisfy their current plans. (did they say for the medium term?)

That would include CT, Semi, Mexico. And all current factories scaling up. imo

They also said they may face another shortage cycle longer term . I guess this may include the new factory perhaps announced later this year, and certainly, the extreme scale rollout of megapacks to 1TW by 2030.
That includes the batteries from other suppliers. Tesla is not right now making all the batteries.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Answer to OP question from 5 pages of words.

Tesla will make them, if not enough then some from suppliers. End result plenty of batteries from somewhere. Close thread! Bye..

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
We don't know what Tesla has negotiated with CATL, LG or Samsung.

We do know Tesla is trying to get as many battery sources lined up as possible.
We do know Tesla is not solely depending on their own battery production to supply every Tesla built. CATL, LG and Samsung make money building and selling batteries. Therefore it is not impossible CATL and the others are building or planning to build more factories. And will supply whatever Tesla asks them to build.
That is all true, but that does not say in anyway that the Qilin battery cell is cylindrical.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
if you watch the Joe Tegtmeyer flyover for June 14 2023 you will see pallats full of structural packs loaded with 4680's 8)

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
if you watch the Joe Tegtmeyer flyover for June 14 2023 you will see pallats full of structural packs loaded with 4680's 8)
Timestamp? I saw some racks but I have no idea what's in em

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That doesn't mean those 4680s have the energy density or energy efficiency Tesla was targeting.

It also doesn't mean there is enough to ramp the CyberTruck as much as everyone hopes. 250,000 to 350,000 CyberTrucks is a LOT of structural packs. Joe's flyover. Were there 20,000 pallets? 10,000? 1,000? 500?
Sponsored