Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If the 4680s are really that much cheaper to produce and the structural battery pack is easier to install, the cost should go down, not up. I would hope Tesla would just replace the current LR model with the 4680 LR with that range and not raise the cost. Their profit margins would be the same (maybe a bit better) and they would have a really compelling product with the longest range in its vehicle class at a fantastic price point. I'll hope against hope for that scenario ;)
As much as I would love this, I really doubt Tesla is going to make any big improvements to the Model Y specs (aside from the switch to 4680 itself) until demand slacks off a bit.

Even so, the Model Y 4680 will be quite a bit nicer. Something like 300 - 500 pounds lighter. If they maintain range, it’ll have a smaller battery pack. It will also almost certainly charge at higher charge rates for longer. The result will be significantly shorter stays at the Supercharger which is a big deal.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One of the major reasons for switching to the 4680 from the 2170 is that they'd maxed out the speed of the physical handling machines for rolling and capping and handling the cells.

Since the 4680 is 5x more kWh per cell, that means each battery takes the place of five 2170s. So a factory that made a billion battery cells would only make 200,000 cars with 2170 cells can now theoretically do a million cars worth of cells.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As much as I would love this, I really doubt Tesla is going to make any big improvements to the Model Y specs (aside from the switch to 4680 itself) until demand slacks off a bit.

Even so, the Model Y 4680 will be quite a bit nicer. Something like 300 - 500 pounds lighter. If they maintain range, it’ll have a smaller battery pack. It will also almost certainly charge at higher charge rates for longer. The result will be significantly shorter stays at the Supercharger which is a big deal.
aside from the battery in the Y, I. would love it if Tesla would add the air suspension.......that would steer me to the Y instead of the CT

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
aside from the battery in the Y, I. would love it if Tesla would add the air suspension.......that would deter me to the Y instead of the CT
That would be a tremendous upgrade.

Air suspension could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They could make the car either more luxurious/ smoother ride while retaining or even improving performance. They could also make a ruggedized/ outdoors edition with adjustable suspension more suitable for light off-roading Subaru style.

(I know… sound like a broken record I do)

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be a tremendous upgrade.

Air suspension could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They could make the car either more luxurious/ smoother ride while retaining or even improving performance. They could also make a ruggedized/ outdoors edition with adjustable suspension more suitable for light off-roading Subaru style.

(I know… sound like a broken record I do)
thats exactly what I was thinking....with 400 plus in range, I could do anything for trips to light camping (Borrego Springs)

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
thats exactly what I was thinking....with 400 plus in range, I could do anything for trips to light camping (Borrego Springs)
The ride in the current Model Y is much better than my 2015 Model S (admittedly without air suspension). I've test driven a few of them in the past few months and I honestly like driving the Y more than the S (which pains me to say). My only beef with the Y: the ground clearance still stinks. I could "get away" with using a vehicle with the ground clearance of a Toyota Highlander. Adjustable suspension would help with that for sure, but I would want the lowest setting to be high enough not to need to remember to use the air suspension when I go "lightly" off-road at our farm. When the CT is home, the S will be in the shop window ;)

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag

I would be OK with that compromise. Just the fact that the length of SuperCharging will be shorter is a huge improvement over my 15 S85D and that is enough to make me want to switch. The easier vehicle entry for a tall guy like me is also something I'm looking forward to in both the Y and the CT. (I just ordered a Y for the wife, estimated delivery: December).

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The ride in the current Model Y is much better than my 2015 Model S (admittedly without air suspension). I've test driven a few of them in the past few months and I honestly like driving the Y more than the S (which pains me to say). My only beef with the Y: the ground clearance still stinks. I could "get away" with using a vehicle with the ground clearance of a Toyota Highlander. Adjustable suspension would help with that for sure, but I would want the lowest setting to be high enough not to need to remember to use the air suspension when I go "lightly" off-road at our farm. When the CT is home, the S will be in the shop window ;)
I aslo have driven the Y and have a 2020 Model S.....we also have a 2019 Model 3......there is no comparison in the S and the Y....Much better in the S.......the Y drives a little like the 3....somewhat hard but does have a good turning radius and pick up.....it will be a hard decision when time comes to get the CT.....if I can get a Y from Texas, I will get that and replace the 3......if and when the truck comes, will have to test drive it to see about letting go of a perfect S......

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
One of the major reasons for switching to the 4680 from the 2170 is that they'd maxed out the speed of the physical handling machines for rolling and capping and handling the cells.

Since the 4680 is 5x more kWh per cell, that means each battery takes the place of five 2170s. So a factory that made a billion battery cells would only make 200,000 cars with 2170 cells can now theoretically do a million cars worth of cells.

-Crissa
That, and the process improvement for manufacturing that will save Tesla a significant amount of time/money. It's an easy decision when it's truly a win-win scenario. I wonder what challenges the structural pack will present that the current pack design doesn't? I imagine it will not be easy to "swap" packs/cells in a structural pack. If designed correctly, it might not matter if the cells are super reliable and don't need any real maintenance/replacement within a reasonable timeframe (thinking 10+ years?)
Sponsored