Will FSD full self driving get priority on deliveries?

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
@Crissa Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten all about it (has been a long time lol). We are doing the happy dance on the FSD. We do not want to lose our FSD (which we really like on our 2018 Model 3) but we were not willing to fork over the $15k. Fortunately we had locked in on launch day. So woo hoo.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Although I take the whole reservation tab with a hefty amount of salt I suspect the raw reservation number is probably a worst-case scenario. I have no idea about the trim number ā€¦ too many variables, not the least of which are the current trimmpercentages or the conversion of lower trims to upper trims.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
You know... If Tesla decides to prioritize FSD takers as a way to get the largest margins early in the roll out, they could also prioritize the later reservations to get more of the $15k FSD reservers first. :oops:

I never once heard Elon say "first come first served"

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You know... If Tesla decides to prioritize FSD takers as a way to get the largest margins early in the roll out, they could also prioritize the later reservations to get more of the $15k FSD reservers first. :oops:

I never once heard Elon say "first come first served"
We know it's not strictly first come, first served. At a minimum, geographical location plays into it. But, yes, the idea of the pre-orders is to deliver to the earliest orders first, just not in a strict sense due to other considerations that could impact how long it takes Cybertruck production to reach profitability. Closer to the factory is better. People in Australia who reserved during the reveal have a really long wait if they want to take delivery Down Under!

But no, they will not hold back on delivering to someone simply because they had locked in the lower price on FSD - that's just not how Tesla thinks.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When Tesla prioritized fsd it was early on when they had finance payments coming due and they had no cash. With 20 Billion in the bank prioritizing by price isnā€™t required.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
When Tesla prioritized fsd it was early on when they had finance payments coming due and they had no cash. With 20 Billion in the bank prioritizing by price isnā€™t required.
This can be used as an argument for why Tesla should start with Single-Motor 250 mile range CyberTruck deliveries. They use the fewest batteries, are the simplest to build, good for getting the factory ramped up...

Yeah, I don't believe it either.

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
I like to think that the early priority will be on hyper-robust vehicles that have great range, performance, features and towing capability, not to mention build quality. Trucks that impress truck buyers and journalists. Rigs that clearly convey to GM and Ford that this is not a level playing field, and they'll have to up their game to keep playing.

Sure, if they need to, Tesla can play the short game and just go for margins, which might include prioritizing FSD deliveries. Cover those first consumer deliveries with all kinds of awesome sauce, though, and Tesla will be playing the long game. Would love to see that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
...Very important to not get mixed up. Teslas will back down to lower support levels of dumb cruise, traffic aware cruise, autopilot, enhanced autopilot, and FSD. Each one has a different display on the dash but it has wildly different capabilities, and none will override the drive if you step on the gas at the wrong time.

It's just important to know! ^-^ Don't want to expect it to follow lanes when you're only on traffic aware cruise, or stop for slowed traffic with dumb cruise.

-Crissa
I knew what level I was on and that is why I typed which one I was on and elaborated. I was on the dumbest version of AP that only keeps speed and distance, and it was on that mode that we got the dramatic phantom braking. I know that dumb AP doesn't 'do' braking. What it did was to decelerate but when you are driving 70-80 mph on the interstate taking your foot off the gas in a Tesla has a dramatic effect. At the time I didn't want to use NoAP because I have had those and other odd and uncomfortable behaviors on EAP and NoAP (namely when going into and out of speed-change areas the car dramatically reduces speed going in and very slowly increases speed coming out and other drivers don't care for it). By the way, I have all the settings correctly for auto lane changes and I still have to use the stalk to do a lane change on NoAP. I have never gotten it to work. I am on FSD Beta version 10.69.25.2.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I thought that I had a screen shot like yours but after looking all over the place all that I can find is Tesla's confirmation of trim and fsd and not the prices shown in your screen capture. These days I always capture an order page but maybe 3 years ago I wasn't. Bummer.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I like to think that the early priority will be on hyper-robust vehicles that have great range, performance, features and towing capability, not to mention build quality. Trucks that impress truck buyers and journalists. Rigs that clearly convey to GM and Ford that this is not a level playing field, and they'll have to up their game to keep playing.

Sure, if they need to, Tesla can play the short game and just go for margins, which might include prioritizing FSD deliveries. Cover those first consumer deliveries with all kinds of awesome sauce, though, and Tesla will be playing the long game. Would love to see that.
It is interesting that you say that about Ford and GM. If I were Tesla and I wanted to send the message to Ford and GM I would start with the single or dual motor trim with adjustable suspension, 4WS, and all the other goodies that they will have, 'and' at a price that will beat the daylights out of the competition. That said, I expect Tesla to come out with the tri (if it continues to exist) or quad first simply because it will likely be a lower-volume trim that they can handle during their ramp, and also that Elon more or less said that the quad would be first.

UnicornDriver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On our recent road trip to Denver I was using Teslaā€™s AP (cruise control), which is very nice, when at speed and on otherwise clear road we had a radical braking. It was so radical that my things in the car were thrown around. Had we been on slick pavement it would have been bad. Needless to say I disengaged. I tried it again on the return trip and it did the same thing a couple more times. Before getting the Tesla we drove to Denver last year with my Lexus RX. It only modulates speed but it never had any phantom braking and was quite helpful in reducing fatigue. When AP, EAP, and NoAP work they are great but radical braking on an interstate highway cannot continue.

by the way, we have paid for FSD on both of our Teslas and I reserved my CT with FSD at the early pricing so I am a believer, but so far that is it - a belief/faith that they will get it working to a point where I can trust it with the safety of my family. I do not need for it to drive me while I sleep or watch movies but I do need to get where I am going safely.
I drove to Denver a couple of days ago, and the amount of phantom braking was unbelievable. I counted 13 times in a 10-hour drive on I-70 that it slammed on the brakes with nothing around. It happens at home sometimes when I approach an overpass, but never violently like on this trip.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I drove to Denver a couple of days ago, and the amount of phantom braking was unbelievable. I counted 13 times in a 10-hour drive on I-70 that it slammed on the brakes with nothing around. It happens at home sometimes when I approach an overpass, but never violently like on this trip.
Just keeping you awake!

-Crissa

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
There is something broken on your vehicle. This is not normal, at all. I would take it to service center. It should absolutely not do this.
Sponsored