Will FSD full self driving get priority on deliveries?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The camera can't see through glasses. It also only currently works for FSD, as far as I know. This is a similar problem for the other driver attentiveness softwares as well.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There is something broken on your vehicle. This is not normal, at all. I would take it to service center. It should absolutely not do this.
And what would you expect the service center to do with the software? They might uninstall and reinstall it but this is clearly not a hardware problem but a situational awareness and evaluation problem. I think we have to wait until V11 and hope that this is forefront on their 'radar' (sorry) and that it gets fixed. Sadly, Tesla has a lot on their plate with phantom braking, with the removal of sensors and not getting Tesla Vision to work for close objects, with summon and reverse summon, and with a host of issues with FSD. I feel a bit sorry for them, and for all of us having to wait around for the software to get good enough to trust with our lives and those important (and less important) to us.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The camera can't see through glasses. It also only currently works for FSD, as far as I know. This is a similar problem for the other driver attentiveness softwares as well.

-Crissa
On my two recent trips where I was using NoAP I am quite certain that the camera was working because I kept my hands on the wheel and responded to the tug requests when made so the only thing I can guess why it suddenly disengaged is that it didn't like what I was doing with my eyes. On the first trip I was actually looking around because it was doing such a good job at driving, and on the second trip I suspect it thought I was drowsy and that might well have been true but I was still alert. Either way the camera would have been necessary to figure it out.

I have no idea what was going on with this woman and am willing to wait until Tesla weighs in, if ever. The local news is still making a big deal about it :-(

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
And what would you expect the service center to do with the software? They might uninstall and reinstall it but this is clearly not a hardware problem but a situational awareness and evaluation problem. I think we have to wait until V11 and hope that this is forefront on their 'radar' (sorry) and that it gets fixed. Sadly, Tesla has a lot on their plate with phantom braking, with the removal of sensors and not getting Tesla Vision to work for close objects, with summon and reverse summon, and with a host of issues with FSD. I feel a bit sorry for them, and for all of us having to wait around for the software to get good enough to trust with our lives and those important (and less important) to us.
I do not think you have a software problem. I have never, ever had any sort of hard braking and I use the FSD all the time. I think you have a hardware problem that is creating a false positive. I am running this same software build on the same vehicle and the problem just does not exist.

I am driving 500 miles tomorrow on FSD (Houston-Dallas-Houston). Will report back if I run into a phantom braking issue, but those have been exceptionally rare in the past and never anything like what you are describing. I believe you are experiencing this, but I suspect there is something wrong with your vehicle.

Also just reading your post above where the system "suddenly disengaged is that it didn't like what I was doing with my eyes." That is also not a behavior that should ever happen. The system will blink red and complain loudly if you are, for example, staring at your screen instead of the road, and it will eventually tell you to "take over immediately" but until you do so, the system should not under any circumstances suddenly disengage. You definitely have some odd behavior happening here.

I will double check 2022.44.25.5 tomorrow and see if something has happened with phantom braking on my car since my last long road trip.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In an optimal world, they'd find out if there was something wrong with their computer or vision that was making it stutter.

Tesla probably should have the computer loge these incidents so the cause can be traced - so the driver can learn what they missed.

Because the only way for 'phantom' braking to go away is for the car to be able to explain what it was reacting to.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I do not think you have a software problem. I have never, ever had any sort of hard braking and I use the FSD all the time. I think you have a hardware problem that is creating a false positive. I am running this same software build on the same vehicle and the problem just does not exist.

I am driving 500 miles tomorrow on FSD (Houston-Dallas-Houston). Will report back if I run into a phantom braking issue, but those have been exceptionally rare in the past and never anything like what you are describing. I believe you are experiencing this, but I suspect there is something wrong with your vehicle.

Also just reading your post above where the system "suddenly disengaged is that it didn't like what I was doing with my eyes." That is also not a behavior that should ever happen. The system will blink red and complain loudly if you are, for example, staring at your screen instead of the road, and it will eventually tell you to "take over immediately" but until you do so, the system should not under any circumstances suddenly disengage. You definitely have some odd behavior happening here.

I will double check 2022.44.25.5 tomorrow and see if something has happened with phantom braking on my car since my last long road trip.
I am using FSD Beta 10.69.25.2. I haven’t done anything to the vehicle since buying it except to wash it regularly. I admit that I do not watch the screen waiting for the various indicators but I do respond to the blue screen. If this is a hardware problem then I will ask Tesla to consider it Thursday when they stop by.

I think a fair comparison would be for you to haven’t in winter conditions but I will be interested in your results no matter what.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In an optimal world, they'd find out if there was something wrong with their computer or vision that was making it stutter.

Tesla probably should have the computer loge these incidents so the cause can be traced - so the driver can learn what they missed.

Because the only way for 'phantom' braking to go away is for the car to be able to explain what it was reacting to.

-Crissa
I couldn't agree more, and since the path planner is [currently] based on rules they should be able to tell which rule [set] fired even if they cannot get the exact data from the scene analysis NN. They will not respond to individual incidents but I can assure you that I reported all of it to [email protected] as soon as we got back.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
For what it's worth, I was in Denver a few weeks ago visiting a friend. We were in his MY and using FSD. It fantom braked on the Interstate. He said, "Oops, sorry, it always does that there, I usually remember and hit the accelerator to keep it from happening".

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
I am using FSD Beta 10.69.25.2. I haven’t done anything to the vehicle since buying it except to wash it regularly. I admit that I do not watch the screen waiting for the various indicators but I do respond to the blue screen. If this is a hardware problem then I will ask Tesla to consider it Thursday when they stop by.

I think a fair comparison would be for you to haven’t in winter conditions but I will be interested in your results no matter what.
Back with my trip report. It is a bit long but will share my experience from today's drive.

I ran FSD on the highway the entirety of the trip (and on surface streets mostly, but that part not relevant). The weather was mostly a light drizzle but there were a couple of times for ~30 minutes or so each time where the rain got too heavy and the system switched from FSD to AP. I left it on AP during those times.

Phantom Braking:
I did not experience this but I DID have what I will call phantom slowing which I will explain below. This happened three times and in every case I just let the car keep going and it was fine. Here is what happened:

On three occasions the car began to slow for no obvious reason (the amount of deceleration is equal to what it does when it goes from, say, a 75 mph zone to a 65mph zone, it pulls off the accelerator and the car slows with regen). None were hard braking events. The vehicle speed dropped as follows:
81 to 70
79 to 68
76 to 70

Each time I let this go and tried to figure out why. I could not. There were two other times it suddenly dropped but both times I realized (shown on the screen) that there was a speed limit change I had missed. In the case of the three "phantom" incidents above, the speed limit did not change and I could not see any other obvious reason for the slowdown.

In all three cases the vehicle drove for another 30 seconds or so at the reduced speed and then accelerated back to the previously set speed.

Other Disengagements:
Otherwise I disengaged three times: once for insane construction traffic that made me nervous, once when I thought it might miss an exit, and once because the vehicle was exhibiting its normal irrational fear of cones and keeping me in the slow lane. Otherwise it drove the entire way on the highway.

Accelerator Interventions:
I have four accelerator interventions where the vehicle was going too darn leisurely for my taste when passing another vehicle.

I should not there was also one other time when it slowed and said on the screen it was slowing for emergency lights that were not there (it was a strobing effect at sunset through the guardrails). Again, did not require intervention from me.

I hope that is useful data. I still have never experienced the sort of hard braking you are describing, but the slowdowns I experienced above are certainly more than I have seen on previous software builds.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Great read..

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Back with my trip report. It is a bit long but will share my experience from today's drive.

I ran FSD on the highway the entirety of the trip (and on surface streets mostly, but that part not relevant). The weather was mostly a light drizzle but there were a couple of times for ~30 minutes or so each time where the rain got too heavy and the system switched from FSD to AP. I left it on AP during those times.

Phantom Braking:
I did not experience this but I DID have what I will call phantom slowing which I will explain below. This happened three times and in every case I just let the car keep going and it was fine. Here is what happened:

On three occasions the car began to slow for no obvious reason (the amount of deceleration is equal to what it does when it goes from, say, a 75 mph zone to a 65mph zone, it pulls off the accelerator and the car slows with regen). None were hard braking events. The vehicle speed dropped as follows:
81 to 70
79 to 68
76 to 70

Each time I let this go and tried to figure out why. I could not. There were two other times it suddenly dropped but both times I realized (shown on the screen) that there was a speed limit change I had missed. In the case of the three "phantom" incidents above, the speed limit did not change and I could not see any other obvious reason for the slowdown.

In all three cases the vehicle drove for another 30 seconds or so at the reduced speed and then accelerated back to the previously set speed.

Other Disengagements:
Otherwise I disengaged three times: once for insane construction traffic that made me nervous, once when I thought it might miss an exit, and once because the vehicle was exhibiting its normal irrational fear of cones and keeping me in the slow lane. Otherwise it drove the entire way on the highway.

Accelerator Interventions:
I have four accelerator interventions where the vehicle was going too darn leisurely for my taste when passing another vehicle.

I should not there was also one other time when it slowed and said on the screen it was slowing for emergency lights that were not there (it was a strobing effect at sunset through the guardrails). Again, did not require intervention from me.

I hope that is useful data. I still have never experienced the sort of hard braking you are describing, but the slowdowns I experienced above are certainly more than I have seen on previous software builds.
Thank you for the great information. I should make something clear about my posts and that is that my car was most likely phantom decelerating and using regen but that is how I brake 99% of the time so I called it phantom braking. In my case it was dramatic enough that items flew and I disengaged , so mine might have done what yours did. Clearly you have a stronger stomach for this than I do. Also, there might have been cases where it thought it saw emergency lights as there were often flashing lights for snow conditions but sometimes there were none.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is why good logging and feedback is so essential. You guys eliminated half the 'phantoms' by finding out the car was identifying hazards and slowing for them. Sure, the hazards turned out to be unimportant...

But doesn't that happen in our normal driving all the time? The car or pedestrian out of place, the road work truck with it's lights flashing but in traffic moving normally... or the car ahead changing lanes or touching the lines rather frequently.

You slow down, look, and then roll past and forget about it.

If you were a passenger and missed it, it'd be a phantom, right?

-Crissa

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
This is why good logging and feedback is so essential. You guys eliminated half the 'phantoms' by finding out the car was identifying hazards and slowing for them. Sure, the hazards turned out to be unimportant...

But doesn't that happen in our normal driving all the time? The car or pedestrian out of place, the road work truck with it's lights flashing but in traffic moving normally... or the car ahead changing lanes or touching the lines rather frequently.

You slow down, look, and then roll past and forget about it.

If you were a passenger and missed it, it'd be a phantom, right?

-Crissa
I really try to let the vehicle make its own corrections and I only intervene when I think its actions will result in an unsafe condition. (Well, except for that slow passing acceleration thing... that totally irks me.)

It would be exceptionally helpful if Tesla could put more visual feedback on the screen. It says "slowing for emergency vehicles" (or some such thing) for example. It would be useful to have similar notifications explaining why it is doing what it is doing more often. I think it would build a lot of confidence in the system. ("Slowing because guy in lane next to you is weaving" etc.).

And, yeah, I know that it is a fundamental problem of these AI models. It is all but impossible to extract from them an explanation of why they are doing what they are doing. But without that, we are left guessing. So we guess that it is braking for something that is not there. Or we guess that it is avoiding cones or we guess that it is going to miss the exit. If you have ever trained a student driver, you know what I mean. You ask them to essentially narrate their thought process. ("Ok, I am going to turn right after that silver car..." and so forth so you can coach them. It builds confidence that they know what they are doing and they are making good decisions.)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I really try to let the vehicle make its own corrections and I only intervene when I think its actions will result in an unsafe condition. (Well, except for that slow passing acceleration thing... that totally irks me.)

It would be exceptionally helpful if Tesla could put more visual feedback on the screen. It says "slowing for emergency vehicles" (or some such thing) for example. It would be useful to have similar notifications explaining why it is doing what it is doing more often. I think it would build a lot of confidence in the system. ("Slowing because guy in lane next to you is weaving" etc.).

And, yeah, I know that it is a fundamental problem of these AI models. It is all but impossible to extract from them an explanation of why they are doing what they are doing. But without that, we are left guessing. So we guess that it is braking for something that is not there. Or we guess that it is avoiding cones or we guess that it is going to miss the exit. If you have ever trained a student driver, you know what I mean. You ask them to essentially narrate their thought process. ("Ok, I am going to turn right after that silver car..." and so forth so you can coach them. It builds confidence that they know what they are doing and they are making good decisions.)
Agreed. As an Ontologist, I was working on integrating deep knowledge models and ML to support “Explainable AI”, and then I retired, so I know that people are working on it but not whether Tesla is. From what I gather Tesla is not keen on deep knowledge models so we should probably not do more than hope for this kind of explanation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You have to build explainability into each level to really have it. It's not impossible, it's just... That takes programmer time.

And I think it's important. It has to know what it's doing.

-Crissa
Sponsored