Will our cybertrucks be insurable from day one?

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
With Tesla having a reputation of expensive repairs, and just getting a windshield replacement quote on my five year old high-volume Tesla model three for ~$1850…, I’m wondering how insurance companies are going to address rates and coverage for this new platform with no history, new design, massive horsepower, repairability, etc. etc.?
Tesla Cybertruck Will our cybertrucks be insurable from day one? 87AD4AE8-D960-4FAE-B545-B393B263C722
Sponsored

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I have the same questions.
I watch WhambamTeslacam on Youtube and they often tell what repairs cost for some Teslas.
Some of them seem outrageous and often the cars are totaled by the insurance companies.
These are cars that are pretty much like repairing a standard ICE vehicles using traditional body and fender technology.
The CT is a completely different critter. Very few body shops are going to be willing to tackle repairing a stainless steel body.
I have TIG welded stainless steel and there is a steep learning curve. Hiding a repair weld would be almost impossible.
My guess is that anything other than a minor scratch or dent will result in it being totaled.
There is also the issue of under insured drivers.
Cheap fly by night insurance companies have gone bankrupt to avoid paying big claims.
I'm hoping insurance is not going to be a deal breaker.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Back in October the rear side glass on my X shattered. When it shattered, because we were traveling down a highway at the time, the glass left all kinds of scratches and chips along the paint on basically every surface behind and below the window.

While my insurance has covered the repair, it has been time consuming and expensive for them.

First, the window took 3 weeks to even come in, and when it did they also had to replace the window actuator - total cost $2,100 for that portion.

Then came the paint repair, which is actually still going on. It's taken seven weeks to even get a "parts release date" from Telsa on new pieces of window trim, the rear spoiler, and some other trim pieces that were damaged - not to manage the weeks it took to even get an appointment at a Tesla-certified body shop. Total estimated cost provided by the shop for the paint repair/parts - $6,650.

That's $8,950 in damage, and coming up on 4 months of unrepaired car, from a spontaneous window shattering. I'm bracing for the insurance price change this cycle.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm happy with Tesla insurance. Getting in an accident with an exotic vehicle can be a real PIA. Cybertruck will definitely be an exotic vehicle for awhile.

Beware of Geico. My Tesla was hit by a Geico driver and they wouldn't pay what the Tesla certified bodyshop charged.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Beware of Geico. My Tesla was hit by a Geico driver and they wouldn't pay what the Tesla certified bodyshop charged.
Then you gotta sue them which I bet they're expecting you won't bother with 'cause it's expensive and...

-Crissa

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
With Tesla having a reputation of expensive repairs, and just getting a windshield replacement quote on my five year old high-volume Tesla model three for ~$1850…, I’m wondering how insurance companies are going to address rates and coverage for this new platform with no history, new design, massive horsepower, repairability, etc. etc.?
87AD4AE8-D960-4FAE-B545-B393B263C722.png
Tbh, that doesn’t seem that bad. I had a 2017 Honda Civic hatchback and to replace a cracked windshield with an official Honda one (something something Honda Sensing affected by subpar windshields) and the replacement wears quoted at $1,400.

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
I have Tesla Insurance now on 2 Teslas and expect the CYberTruck will also go on that policy. That said, I was rear ended last week and the estimate appointment is next week. The driver who hit me was insured by AAA as was the person who hit her, AAA is "still investigating the accident but Tesla's handling of this "not at fault" claim will go a long way in determining my staying with Tesla Ins.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Insurance on my 2022 Lariat Lightning was $100 a year less than my 2018 Platinum F150 worth about 1/2 as much

I ignorantly took that to be a general direction of the BeV over the ICE, but all this tall has me re-eduMicated

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
No, insurance companies are tired of winning, tired of making money, so they will not insure your Cybertruck. /s

Just kidding, but I see you live in California, one of the lucky states where Tesla insurance is available already.
Sponsored