Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe?

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anything is possible, but some things are unlikely, certainly in the short term.

The pickup market in the US is over 3 million pa, Europe around 200,000. I have no idea for Australia but suspect not a huge market even though they love their ute’s.

The smart will figure out the maths, or math in the US. The truculent will continue to argue the toss.

Personally it has been the versatility of a pickup with its tax advantages in the UK but everyone has their own reasons.

We will just have to wait and see....
I would quite like to see the Range Rover EV when it comes out. At least it will definitely be in the UK with or without a FTA
Sponsored

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
Just done a transcription of the gist of what was said on battery day about the non-US version of Cybertruck:-

Question from Ryan MccAffrey {Ride the Lightning podcast}

Curious about Cybertruck – it was interesting to see where you had it on the battery technology front, - I’m sort of curious what you see for it on the production front …. As trucks are so popular in America … Do you see its volume equaling the 3 or the Y in the future … and also were you able to get Tesla’s legally to be allowed to be sold in Texas as part of the Giga-Texas deal?

Elon's Reply

Well its hard to say what the volume would be for the cybertruck – the orders are gigantic so - we have over half a million orders – maybe 600 thou – I dunno – we stopped counting – I think theres room for maybe 250 – 300,000 per year.

Now, We are designing the cybertruck to meet the American spec, cos if you try to design a car to meet the Global – the super set of all global requirements – basically – you cant make the cybertruck – its impossible.

It really is designed for the American market.

The north American market is the biggest market for trucks by far

We’ll probably make an international version of cybertruck that’ll be kind of smaller .. you know – kind of like a "tight Wolverine package” - it’ll still be cooler, but it’ll be smaller cos you just cant make a giant truck like that for most markets – so yeah – but its going to be great ... {then talks about Texas}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With myself living in a small town in the middle of Shropshire UK - surrounded by relatively small country lanes & B roads - I think I'd be more than happy with "Tight Wolverine Packaged CyberTruck"

But the question I then wanted to ask was :-
So where will this Global Cybertruck be made - will Giga-China/Berlin be making them for their local markets - which I reckon would be the most logical approach

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Just done a transcription of the gist of what was said on battery day about the non-US version of Cybertruck:-

Curious about Cybertruck – it was interesting to see where you had it on the battery technology front, - I’m sort of curious what you see for it on the production front …. As trucks are so popular in America … Do you see its volume equaling the 3 or the Y in the future … and also were you able to get Tesla’s legally to be allowed to be sold in Texas as part of the Giga-Texas deal?

Elon's Reply

Well its hard to say what the volume would be for the cybertruck – the orders are gigantic so - we have over half a million orders – maybe 600 thou – I dunno – we stopped counting – I think theres room for maybe 250 – 300,000 per year.

Now, We are designing the cybertruck to meet the American spec, cos if you try to design a car to meet the Global – the super set of all global requirements – basically – you cant make the cybertruck – its impossible.

We’ll probably make an international version of cybertruck that’ll be kind of smaller .. you know – kind of like a "tight Wolverine package” - it’ll still be cooler, but it’ll be smaller cos you just cant make a giant truck like that for most markets – so yeah – but its going to be great ... {then talks about Texas}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With myself living in a small town in the middle of Shropshire UK - surrounded by relatively small country lanes & B roads - I think I'd be more than happy with "Tight Wolverine Packaged CyberTruck"

So where will this Global Cybertruck be made - will Giga-China/Berlin be making them for their local markets - which I reckon would be the most logical approach
Don't u also drive on the wrong side? of the road?

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don't u also drive on the wrong side? of the road?
In your opinion ?

I have a theory....

When you drive a left handed vehicle you steer with your left hand and play with your shiny tesla screen with your right.

Since most people are right handed you are thus using your weakest hand to steer when taking one hand off the wheel.

Therefore driving on the left with a right hand drive vehicle makes much more sense.

Of course this will all become irrelevant with FSD, however, it is all you lot over there and across the channel and pretty much everywhere else that are wrong up till now. ?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
In your opinion ?

I have a theory....

When you drive a left handed vehicle you steer with your left hand and play with your shiny tesla screen with your right.

Since most people are right handed you are thus using your weakest hand to steer when taking one hand off the wheel.

Therefore driving on the left with a right hand drive vehicle makes much more sense.

Of course this will all become irrelevant with FSD, however, it is all you lot over there and across the channel and pretty much everywhere else that are wrong up till now. ?
Are you right handed? Have you tried texting with your left hand while driving?

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Are you right handed? Have you tried texting with your left hand while driving?
I will concede that as my mobile is mounted in the middle (I don't have Android play) that unlocking with my thumb is somewhat impossible.

OP
OP

Laurent

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Elon's Reply

Should we understand "it really is designed for the American market" as it will be still possible to get it in Europe?

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
? My left hand is all thumbs!

I'm going to operate the centre screen like Jerry Lee Lewis playing the piano !

Using my left foot is as dextrous as using my left hand :ROFLMAO:

P.S.
I cant wait to see some more details about the Wolverine Cybertruck.
I hope they reveal it before the Hummer ev is revealed on the 20th of October.

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
Should we understand "it really is designed for the American market" as it will be still possible to get it in Europe?
Couldn't be clearer (y)
I'll even put the good bit in bold this time
" We’ll probably make an international version of cybertruck that’ll be kind of smaller .. you know – kind of like a "tight Wolverine package” - it’ll still be cooler, but it’ll be smaller cos you just cant make a giant truck like that for most markets – so yeah – but its going to be great "

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
I don't want a much smaller CT. Slightly, ok. But not much smaller. We have big trucks in Europe! Also: this is not a ciry car. It's an off-road beast: why bother about narrow streets? CT can drive through walls! Please le me sign a petition to import CT to Europe. I preordered one: so, what the hell did I preorder then?

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
...I preordered one: so, what the hell did I preorder then?
I don't think anyone will get the truck exactly as seen at the launch as there's always going to be changes when under proper production.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can you go and get full sized American trucks in your country new, yes or no?

If yes, no worries, it will probably get there eventually.

If no, well, big American trucks aren't sold everywhere.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Laurent

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So There was an interview with Elon Automotive News back in august of this year where Elon clearly says that the CT does NOT comply with a lot of specifications in Europe. He says that Tesla can make a smaller CT that will comply with the EU specs in the future. He also says that there is a slight chance of getting that EU will get it classified but at the end the truck is only designed for North America.

I like that he is saying that there is a sligt chance to get an EU pass for the truck. Slight chance what do you think it is? 10%, 50%???

You hear the podcast here: Interview Elon Musk Automotive News August 3, 2020
Also Reddit thread: Reddit: CT notcoming to Europe

/Laurent

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So There was an interview with Elon Automotive News back in august of this year where Elon...
That's cute, but nowhere does he say it can't comply with the same rules that other big trucks do.

We know there are places you can't buy/sell full-sized trucks on the retail market.

And there are a bunch of rules the prototype violates in the US currently, most notably the lights and mirrors.

Saying 'I can't sell this everywhere' is not the same as saying 'this won't be sold anywhere'.

And, as I've pointed out, there's barely a release year for the Y in places like the UK, let alone the Cybertruck. Let them fill their orders and build their factories before panicking.

-Crissa
Sponsored