Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Any idea how something like the Cybertruck would fare in a crash test - do cars still have to have crumple zones over there - just wondering if bulletproof s/steel would absorb frontal energy by deformation?
Of course it will have crumple zones. That's just a matter of building in failure points. The amount of pressure in an accident is massive!

-Crissa
Sponsored

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Just wondering now that Elon has confirmed "its impossible" for the full size Cybertruck to pass Euro Regulations and be homologated for sale in the general market there
(and related markets, like Australia)

Will the Hummer EV to be revealed in 3 weeks, make a point of and announce that it will meet
Euro Reg's and be sold in Europe ?

Will people wait for the reveal of the Wolverine Cybertruck ?

Will the Hummer ev reveal, influence the timing of the Wolverine Cybertruck reveal ?

Can we expect Tesla to reveal the Wolverine Cybertruck soon ?

(VW scheduled the announcement of the new ID4 the day after battery day, coincidence !
It sold out in a day.)
___________________________________-

POST EDIT

Just putting in the following for the people who wallow in that river in Egypt, "Da' Nile" ;)

Your comprehension needs serious help, or more likely you have some peculiar prejudice to the smaller Cybertruck that’s in the works, and now Elon’s given a definitive cool name to it. :cool:

Here’s what ELON said specifically. From Q & A of the presentation at Battery Day 22/9/2020.

Elon Musk : " We are designing the CT to meet the American Spec,

Cos if you try to design a car to meet the Global spec . . . the super set of global requirements, it basically . . .

YOU CANT MAKE THE CYBERTRUCK, ITS IMPOSSIBLE . So it really is designed for the American market. . .

And then I think for . . . we’ll probably make an international version of Cybertruck, kind of smaller,

like a tighter Wolverine Package.

It’ll still be cooler, but it’ll be smaller cos you just can’t make a giant truck like that for most markets, so yep its gonna be great. "

Last edited:

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
Will people wait for the reveal of the Wolverine Cybertruck ?
Only problem with waiting is working out what car to get for the next 3 yrs - my estimate of it arriving in to the UK.
Been weighing up Model3 vs Polestar2 vs Hyundai 45 - Currently Polestar 2 just ahead

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I think there's a good chance the Wolverine Cybertruck will be produced at the same time as the full size CT.
So maybe the wait won't be too different.
But we'll all have to wait for the Wolverine CT reveal to see for sure.
Most peoples place in the queue is after 2023 anyway too . . . unless you ordered in the first 4 days.

P.S. At least you have a back up plan, although your alternative choices are quite a deviation from a 231.7 inch pick up truck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just wondering now that Elon has confirmed "its impossible" for the full size Cybertruck to pass Euro Regulations...
No, he said it was impossible in some places. Which is normal.

Will the Hummer EV to be revealed in 3 weeks, make a point of and announce that it will meet
Euro Reg's and be sold in Europe ?
Why would they do that?

-Crissa

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
P.S. At least you have a back up plan, although your alternative choices are quite a deviation from a 231.7 inch pick up truck.
Yeah, but there again, for some reason I've never considered the Cybertruck as a Pickup Truck.
Pickup trucks just aren't that big a thing over here - although, I probably see 3 or 4 a day when in town.
The majority of students at the local agricultural university generally drive regular saloons & Land Rovers (when they're not self isolating)

Reactions: Geo

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Only problem with waiting is working out what car to get for the next 3 yrs - my estimate of it arriving in to the UK.
Been weighing up Model3 vs Polestar2 vs Hyundai 45 - Currently Polestar 2 just ahead
I have the same issue. For me the criteria is as much as where the vehicle is made as the specification.

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
I have the same issue. For me the criteria is as much as where the vehicle is made as the specification.
I'll bite ...... So where would you like it to be made?

I could be wrong, but guessing that as like me, your in the UK so you'd also like to wave the flag & buy a British car.

Most of my vehicles have been UK built -
Austins, Morris's & Triumph's in the 70's
Dutton Phaeton & Langridge Navajo in the 80's (British Kitcars)
Renault, Citroen's (x3), & Honda in the 90's (....I strayed)
Then BMW MINI (x3) & LandRover for the last 20 years (All British built)

After the electronic steering rack failed on the Evoque (ffs - who designs a ÂŁ3000 rack), I just started researching what were the most reliable cars in the UK today - It was the Hyundai i10 at the time.

So I decided my next car would have to be heavily weighted towards "Reliability"

Therefore:
Priority 1 - An all electric car
Priority 2 - Must not look boring
1+2= Cybertruck!!
... but that's at least 3 years away...so present contenders ... & I just don't care anymore where they're designed or built
VW - id3/id4 - Audi e-tron - (too boring)
BMW i4 - Jaguar iPace - Porsche Taycan - (too expensive)
Polestar2 - Hyundai 45 - Tesla Model 3 (a little bit boring) - Ford Mach-E = The Present contenders
:cool:

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'll bite ...... So where would you like it to be made?

I could be wrong, but guessing that as like me, your in the UK so you'd also like to wave the flag & buy a British car.

Most of my vehicles have been UK built -
Austins, Morris's & Triumph's in the 70's
Dutton Phaeton & Langridge Navajo in the 80's (British Kitcars)
Renault, Citroen's (x3), & Honda in the 90's (....I strayed)
Then BMW MINI (x3) & LandRover for the last 20 years (All British built)

After the electronic steering rack failed on the Evoque (ffs - who designs a ÂŁ3000 rack), I just started researching what were the most reliable cars in the UK today - It was the Hyundai i10 at the time.

So I decided my next car would have to be heavily weighted towards "Reliability"

Therefore:
Priority 1 - An all electric car
Priority 2 - Must not look boring
1+2= Cybertruck!!
... but that's at least 3 years away...so present contenders ... & I just don't care anymore where they're designed or built
VW - id3/id4 - Audi e-tron - (too boring)
BMW i4 - Jaguar iPace - Porsche Taycan - (too expensive)
Polestar2 - Hyundai 45 - Tesla Model 3 (a little bit boring) - Ford Mach-E = The Present contenders
:cool:
Actually it wasn't flag waving, I have a Nissan and a Toyota. Just like to use my spending deservedly.

I really like the Mustang too, not available yet, so going to lease until the market and range options really opens up in the next 12 to 18 momths.

I hope to see how Nissan's new offering fairs and surely some more big ICE companies have got stuff in the pipeline yet to be announced.

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have loved full size pickups, ever since I lived in the US, for a short spell. They are just not really an option in the UK due to the gas prices and for me taxes as a company car driver.

Once the F150 ev is available, I would definitely consider it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GM's size seems less likely to produce the agility to shift the Hummer if the EU is barring big trucks.

They failed before.

-Crissa

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
" if the EU is barring big trucks. "

-Crissa

So your suggesting, the EU is barring "big trucks" ! ASTOUNDING ! Simply WOW !

With the greatest of respect.
I'd suggest you're wrong, the EU is not barring big trucks.
I'd also suggest that your wrong, the Cybertruck and the Hummer ev (2ft shorter than Cybertruck) are not considered "big trucks" (big by car size standard only, not big at all, by Truck size)

So no, I don't think this is a big revelation, but trucks are very much allowed in the EU !

ASTOUNDING ! Simply WOW !

And once again, for the record, the Cybertruck as Elon has confirmed, "its impossible" for it to pass the EU regs. Is not, I repeat is not, simply a function of its size. It is about ALL the EU reg's in their entirety and NOT, I repeat NOT a function of its size alone.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So your suggesting, the EU is barring "big trucks" !
I'm pretty tired of your straw man arguments and unsupported assertions of fact.

You quoted my phrase. Nowhere did I assert that the EU was banning anything.

You on the other hand, have asserted multiple times that the Cybertruck can't pass some specific regulation and yet never actually point out which regulation it's failing and how that makes it different than an Escalade.

Because Tesla and Musk have never specified anything other than it won't pass in some places. Well, no duh, you can't put it in many places. For example, some prefectures in Japan allow full-sized pickup trucks as farm equipment, but most do not. The EU has the same regard to vehicle size and weight.

And besides, there's not even a target release quarter for the Y in the UK yet. And I can't find one for the EU, either. They have quite the demand to chew through before everyone gets their Tesla.

-Crissa
Sponsored