Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I feel vindicated ^-^

It's still years out, though, and no telling what regulations will change in the meanwhile. As discussed earlier in the thread, there are a few (specifically pedestrian safety) that haven't been nailed down that were supposed to be.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Hey folk,

That is some good news? :)
Wow : Elon claims he “ Didn’t realise that was possible “

What that, truck licenses exist !
That truck licences may be required to drive the Cybertruck in Europe ! A C1E truck license !

That that’s all that’s needed, that the vehicle itself need no longer do anything to pass Euro regs. !
That he’s overcome what he previously said was “impossible to pass euro regs”.

That some people will go through the process of 3 mths or so to earn a truck license and pay approx $5 k for it, accept the Truck licence limitations of 50mph in most of Europe and other restrictions, in order to drive the Cybertruck . . . . if Tesla can get it homologated in Europe !

(Especially as some people, in this case is likely a common giant Icelandic person, who can lift a small car over his head, and he “drives” his current pick up from the back like a wheel barrow ;) . I think his perception of small may be very different from most Europeans, and Euro regulators !)

And “if” that’s all that’s needed, its all good now, the Original Cybertruck will be homologated for the Euro and associated markets !

Elon is a very nice man who is extremely busy, with many and varied issues to focus on.
Its quite understandable when he is being polite and attempting to be obliging, holding someones hand who is having difficulty coping with what the Wolverine Cybertruck is and why it was created and necessary in the first place.

But Elon could actually be giving rise to confusion, unintentionally !

Either way, If one wants to now take that to mean that the original Cybertruck is coming to Europe and associated markets, then its absolutely great if it actually is. . . . . .
And it will be homologated and sold alongside the Wolverine Cybertruck that has already been announced is coming.

Lets see, he has now miraculously done the impossible ! When he overcomes his own statement, “its impossible to meet all the euro regulations . . . .”

It seems TWO Cybertruck's will be revealed in the next month or so, both have been absolutely confirmed as coming, by Elon.

Some markets will be spoilt for choice, a long bed (6.5ft ) and a short bed Wolverine Cybertruck :)

Last edited:

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Will you eat your words when that doesn't happen?

-Crissa
So you think that the Wolverine Cybertruck is a fiction created by Elon, to deceive people like myself and others. (many who have tweeted their delight at its imminent arrival)

With further deceptions by Elon claiming "its impossible to meet the euro reg's . . . . "

In that case Elon and Tesla would be very bad people . . . . . . .

We would call them a word that starts with a letter from the first 3 letters of the alphabet and ends in unt :ROFLMAO:

But lucky for all of us who look forward to the Wolverine Cybertruck, and for Elon, we know him to be not only very intelligent, very accomplished, a very genuine man, he is a very very nice man.

P.S. He's not an Aunt or a Bunt, or anything else ;)

Last edited:

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
You are a very dishonest person, aren't you? Why did I bother?

-Crissa
Did you just try to pull a Trump on me, with his non sensical bizzare and utterly baseless
"Obamagate claim" ! With zero attempt to hide your own stupidity without the flimsiest pretence of an explanation behind the claim. :ROFLMAO:

Like when the reporter asks, can you tell us "what Obamagate is about", you respond with, "Obamagate, its been going on for along time . . . . . . and its a disgrace that its happened . . . . you know what the crime is . . . . . all you have to do is read the papers except yours."

Some of you Americans have absolutely lost the plot, you gaslighting, moronic, bleach injecting, fairy floss hair, orange people are ridiculous. I honestly can not stop the cycle of feelings at the situation, and by extension my concern for all humanity, it is hysterically funny, horrific and sad all at the same time !

P.S. Right now I'm pissing my self laughing at you, and your absurd baseless claim :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Yep. Still dishonest.

Look, the Wolverine isn't going to be even teased for another year, at least.

-Crissa
See now, you believing that the Wolverine isn't going to be revealed for another year is called an opinion. Nothing dishonest about that. And nothing dishonest about your opinion.

Now if the opinion was baseless, unreasoned, and in fact in conflict with other evidence we at worst could call it stupid. If it was reasonable, but not accurate, we would call it wrong, but not dishonest, its not a dishonest opinion, unless you new the opposite to be true and you were attempting to deceive.

But since you call me dishonest for simply echoing Elon's statement about
"impossible to meet euro reg's.", and " alternative World Market Tight Wolverine Cybertruck"

You are simply a moron who has a peculiar prejudice to Elon's Wolverine Cybertruck and anyone relaying that statement.

Now with respect to my view about the Timing of the reveal of the Wolverine Cybertruck revealed in the "next month or so", that is when Elon has declared he is revealing the new and many "small" changes to the Cybertruck. So it is a fact that the timing is Elon's not mine. it is a fact at least a Cybertruck will be revealed, and as he has declared the existence of the Wolverine Cybertruck and that it is for the World Market, that it is highly expected that the Wolverine will also be revealed.

But when you drill right down to it, there is the tiniest slither of an opening for it to actually be suggested it is my opinion, that it will be revealed then.
And yes it could be wrong, but there is nothing dishonest about it and how it is arrived at.

I stand by my previous message, if Elon after confirming that for the Cybertruck "its impossible to meet the Euro reg's" and that he has confirmed the Existence of the alternative solution being the "Wolverine Cybertruck" . . . . . .

it would be extremely bad corporate Governance, extremely mindless and unprofessional,
indeed he and Tesla would be labelled a word that starts with a letter from the first 3 letters of the alphabet and ending in unt . . . . if they strung people out for 2 years before they could judge whether they should get there money back and be on their merry way to make another choice.

I am perfectly clear and upfront,
Yep, you are still a moron :ROFLMAO:

Or, along the lines of how Winston Churchill put it :

Madam, I may be drunk, but tomorrow I will be sober, where as you will still be ugly ;)

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I saw a news report that sweden is considering raising the total vehicle weight limit without requiring drivers to move to the class c due to bev being heavier... is Sweden in EU? I cant find the link to the story.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I saw a news report that sweden is considering raising the total vehicle weight limit without requiring drivers to move to the class c due to bev being heavier... is Sweden in EU? I cant find the link to the story.
I saw that. They haven't done it yet, tho, that I know of. No, Sweden is not.

-Crissa

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Basic Dodge Ram runs you around 100.000$ so why would anyone buy it?
Tommi you qouted a price for Finnland. There is a huge tax part (> 20 Grand) in that price.
You can get one new in Germany for 65.000,00€ or 79.223,95 US$

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...searchId=1fda6dc9-d105-edc0-5925-e6216df76927

This is very close to a DB Sprinter VAN LWB. So yes there are people buying Dodge RAM in the EU ......
Even thought they are not offered by the OEM here.:whistle:

To get a CT to Germany I am looking at:
USA price + shipping and ad 10% EU Import tax and 19% German sales tax........
e.g. Trimot with FSD:
78.000+shipping 2000=(80000*1,10)*1,19=104720,00 US$ D elivered D uty P aid German Harbour (Bremerhaven).
At current exchange rate 85.912,81 €

That is the price range I expect TESLA to be close, when they provide EU pricing.
Other wise there will be a grey import market sooner than later.
Especially when (not if) the US$ dips against the €uro.....

Better to roll out the CT and the Wolverine at Giga Berlin and export it. (even to the USA....:ROFLMAO:)
That will safe 10% Tax and shipping for all EU Reservation holders.

Sorry not for the Brexiteers.......

Hi Les,
as far as I know a BEV with a GVWR of 4,2 metric ton (Battery 0,7 mt) would still be driveable with a Class B (Car-) license. That should cover even the TriMot.

In Germany there are a lot of people with a Class 3 (Car-) license, that has been changed into a new C1E EU-Class license....... They can drive up to 7,5 mt plus a havy trailer....
Those licenses are good til 2032 !! No medical needed till then. ?

But I could care less since I am holding a CE license, and have no weight limit at all. ?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Les;

I read the story on Teslarati and InsideEVs.com and now only find it at Teslarati.com

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-welcomed-sweden-market/

Tesla Cybertruck and other heavy EVs could soon find a welcome market in Sweden

BySimon Alvarez
Posted on December 18, 2020

The Tesla Cybertruck, as well as other heavy, sustainable vehicles, could soon find a welcome market in Sweden. This is thanks to the efforts of industry organization Energigas Sverige, which recently requested the Swedish Transport Agency to adjust the maximum weight allowed for vehicles that could be driven on a standard Class B driving license.

If successful, Energigas Sverige’s efforts could pave the way for regular drivers to operate vehicles that weigh as much as 4.25 tonnes (9,600 lbs). Current driving license laws in the country note that vehicles such as light trucks may not exceed a total weight of 3,500 kilograms (7,700 lbs), and that’s including the weight of their cargo. Vehicles that exceed the weight limit must be driven by drivers with a Class C driving license instead.

Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe? simon-alvarez-avatar-80x80

BySimon Alvarez
Posted on December 18, 2020

The Tesla Cybertruck, as well as other heavy, sustainable vehicles, could soon find a welcome market in Sweden. This is thanks to the efforts of industry organization Energigas Sverige, which recently requested the Swedish Transport Agency to adjust the maximum weight allowed for vehicles that could be driven on a standard Class B driving license.

If successful, Energigas Sverige’s efforts could pave the way for regular drivers to operate vehicles that weigh as much as 4.25 tonnes (9,600 lbs). Current driving license laws in the country note that vehicles such as light trucks may not exceed a total weight of 3,500 kilograms (7,700 lbs), and that’s including the weight of their cargo. Vehicles that exceed the weight limit must be driven by drivers with a Class C driving license instead.

Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe? a-china-cybertruck-franz-von-holzhausen-1-1024x752
(Credit: cybertruckfuture vis Instagram)

This poses some issues for organizations or buyers that are looking to adopt vehicles that are powered by sustainable means. Sustainable vehicles like electric trucks are typically heavier than their fossil fuel-powered counterparts, thanks to their large battery packs. As noted by the industry organization in a post, this issue is also present in vehicles that are powered by hydrogen and biogas.

If the Swedish Transport Agency accommodates Energigas Sverige’s request, vehicles like the Tesla Cybertruck could find some footing in the European country. The Cybertruck is aggressively priced for its specs and performance, which include a 6.5-ft bed and a 3,500-lb cargo carrying capacity. Coupled with its durable steel exterior and its low maintenance needs, the Cybertruck could serve as an ideal fleet vehicle for businesses looking to embrace sustainable solutions.
As noted in a report from news agency ATL, the Swedish Transport Agency is now looking into the organization’s request. Maria Malmkvist, CEO of the industry organization Energigas Sweden, expressed her optimism about the initiative.

“It is very good that the government is now acting on this issue. The current maximum weight for B driving licenses prevents the conversion to renewable. A change in the driving license rules will mean that more haulers can choose light trucks that run on, for example, biogas or hydrogen,” she said (translated).

The results of the industry organization’s request are expected to be reported to government offices as soon as possible, or at least no later than November 15, 2021.

Energigas Sweden’s request to the Sweden Transport Agency could be found below.

Stockholm den 2020-11-17Fredrik Svensson Infrastrukturminister Tomas Eneroth[email protected] Infrastrukturdepartementet0767 99 55 44 103 33 Stockholm

BegÀran om Àndring av Körkortslagen (1998:488) sÄ att viktgrÀnsen höjs för att med B-körkort fÄ framföra lÀtta lastbilar som drivs med alternativa drivmedel BegÀran om Àndring av Körkortslagen (1998:488)

Vi begÀr att Körkortslagen (1998:488) Àndras genom att viktgrÀnsen för lÀtta lastbilar som fÄr framföras med B-körkort höjs för de lÀtta lastbilar som drivs med alternativa drivmedel. Exempel pÄ alternativa drivmedel Àr biogas, el eller vÀtgas. Högsta tillÄtna totalvikt bör höjas till 4 250 kg, dÀr vikten av den brÀnslebÀrandeutrustningen fÄr uppgÄ till högst 750 kg i enlighet med det som tillÄts enligt Europaparlamentets och RÄdetsdirektiv (EU) 2018/645 av den 18 april 2018 om Àndring av direktiv 2003/59/EG om grundlÀggande kompetensoch fortbildning för förare av vissa vÀgfordon för gods- eller persontransport och direktiv 2006/126/EG omkörkort.
Bakgrund och skÀl till vÄr begÀran

Det Àr brÄttom nu om vi ska klara omstÀllningen av transportsektorn. Enligt klimatmÄlen som riksdagen harklubbat igenom ska utslÀppen minska med 70 procent fram till 2030, jÀmfört med 2010. För att nÄ dit krÀvs att vianvÀnder alla tillgÀngliga hÄllbara alternativ, dÀr de fungerar i dag. Inte minst i vÄra stÀder, dÀr Àven luftkvalitetoch trÀngsel Àr viktiga frÄgor. Transporter av gods ökar pÄ vÄra vÀgar och i vÄra stÀder. Dessa bör genomföras sÄsÀkert, effektivt och hÄllbart som möjligt.I Körkortslagen (1998:488) regleras bland annat vem som har behörighet att köra motorfordon samt vilken typoch vikt av fordon som fÄr framföras av en person som innehar ett körkort av viss kategori. I 2 kap. 5 §Körkortslagen (1998:488) framgÄr att den som har ett B-körkort har körkortsbehörighet för 1) personbil medtotalvikt av högst 3,5 ton och lÀtt lastbil samt enbart ett lÀtt slÀpfordon som Àr kopplat till en sÄdan bil. 2)trehjulig motorcykel eller 3) fyrhjulig motorcykel.ViktbegrÀnsningen pÄ 3 500 kg motverkar en omstÀllning till alternativa drivmedel för lÀtta lastbilar. Detta beror pÄ att exempelvis batterier och gastankar generellt sett Àr tyngre Àn motsvarande dieseltank vilket gör att lÀttalastbilar som gÄr pÄ el eller gas dÀrmed fÄr en högre tjÀnstevikt jÀmfört med lÀtta diesellastbilar. Den extra viktsom Àr direkt förknippat med att fordonet drivs med ett alternativt drivmedel innebÀr dÀrmed att fordonet intekan lastas lika tungt som ett fordon som drivs med konventionella drivmedel.En lÀtt lastbil som drivs med biogas eller el tappar av den anledningen cirka 30
–
60 procent av sin lastförmÄga.En aktör som transporterar varor eller gods med lÀtta lastbilar har dÀrmed att vÀlja pÄ att antingen köra flera turermed ett fordon som drivs med alternativa drivmedel för att fÄ med sig en viss last eller att fÄ med större last i enoch samma tur, men dÄ i en lastbil som drivs med konventionellt brÀnsle som till exempel diesel. Flera fordoneller turer för att flytta en viss last Àr naturligtvis inte önskvÀrt, sÀrskilt inte inom vÄra storstÀder och tÀtorter,eftersom det ökar trÀngsel och pÄverkar vÄr miljö.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Thank you Jeff @MEDICALJMP ,
this is basically true fore the rest EU countrys. But every single one has to put EU rules into "local law".
That takes time.....

Funny thing on the side:
In this case it is also fossil fuels (CNG and HÂČ tanks are very heavy) lobby pushing the cart. ;)
And digging their own grave......

btw. in Germany with the old Class 3 (Car-) license you where allowed to drive vehicles up to 7,5 to and a trailer.
A lot of the last miles transportation was done with trucks and trailers (GCWR 15 metric tons), by people with just a car license.
After harmonizing with all EU Countrys the Class B licence is the "standart driving licence". The 3,5 to limit is "a pain in the but".

Today old Class 3 (now C1E) holder are getting older (50+) and retire.
This led to many problems for smale companies and emergency services.
They now have to have, expensive and rare, Class C(E) drivers, even for simple transportation needs.
The change to BEV will increase this dilemma.
IMHO they should raise the allowed weight with Class B substancially (GCVWR app. 10 metric to), especially if those vehicles are safer than ICE cars.

christianUK

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck on order, 2017 Mustang, 2006 Range Rover
Country flag
Other wise there will be a grey import market sooner than later.
Later rather than sooner. The plug incompatibility (5 pin US vs 7 pin for European Teslas) will mean adaptors needed and no supercharging , Kw limits through adaptors. And then there's the radio bands being different, maps and data potentially not working and the general hassle of having an unsupported vehicle. A few brave people will try, but once they look into it, I doubt it'll have much mainstream appeal trying a grey import
Sponsored

Last edited: