Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla!

OP
OP

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
I think Diehard, post #9, might be on to something! Nobody knowns how to milk the media like Elon. I'll be waiting for the tweet on the replacement design for the BAW!
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yup, get rid of all that front glass, use 3mm stainless steel with holes for two cameras and interior front would be couple large LCD screens.
I would say replacing it with the modern version of those Japanese train glasses that go from transparent to opaque except with one big front windshield and side windows that turn into high res two sided display. Outsiders see you with a different face in case a traffic camera is taking a photo. AI could keep the cars, dogs and pedestrians and replace the background from this

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678034112424

to this

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678034191332

Although your idea could work too. CT could totally getaway with replacing the windshield and windows with stainless steel. Even if a booboo in OTA kills the screen in the middle of a drive, FSD could take over but if FSD goes crazy too, you will still be OK driving through someone‘s house with CT ripping their toilet door off while they are tweeting in the bathroom. Small price to pay for advancement of technology.

Edit; part time display takes less energy and may be more FED friendly.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I dont see the issue with it, besides huge cost to replace if no one but tesla make them
Reducing parts, increasing efficiency and going to 48V makes a lot of what goes into CT. We may get to buy CT at a good price after all ( kinda like a down payment with the rest due after warranty). Although wiper may not be as difficult to make aftermarket.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Improvement concept: Dual BAWs
Yup, if one BAW is good, BAW BAW would be better. One on each side ( vertical on A-pillars).

Functionally better and the balance of one on each side is a better aesthetic look.

If Tesla doesn't offer a 2nd BAW to make BAW BAW I might have to buy an aftermarket suction cup attaching BAW to put on the right side of windshield.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Notice the wipe residue on the windshield
F575777A-A1D6-44EC-B695-670EF8F19A72.jpeg
The Gigawiper will actually be far better than any wiper on the market. Just look at that windshield! Everything up to Franz's head is almost completely wiped clean. It's easy to forget that anything beyond his head wouldn't exist on a typical car; the Cybertruck has "receding hairline" glass like the Model X that goes far beyond the typical glass and viewing area of a car. The upper part is purely for aesthetics and unnecessary. The BAW cleans the entire driver view, the camera, ABOVE the driver view and almost the entire passenger view. It's mostly only the part above the passenger view that it doesn't reach. It does at least as good as the standard setup:

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! windshield-wipers-1024x683

OP
OP

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
Okay, you all are right, a conventional wiper worked on a 1923 Ford as well.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678067454067

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I really think either the BAW is a Tesla joke on us designed to impress us with the real tech even more this summer. Or designed intentionally so hideous that ensures any owner will take it off after purchase leaving most CTs on the road with the original look.

However since OP asked for Ideas, I would say, replace the BAW with a SAW. A Small wiper that cleans a high resolution front facing camera to be used during the rain. Less drag, less energy wasted and most importantly less exposure to ugly for innocent bystander looking at CT.

Edit: May be it would be better with two wipers and two cameras. Wipers would be out of phase so the resulting image would be clear most of the time (better than BAW). With a wide driver display that can handle stitched view that includes side cameras.
For the SAW are you thinking something like this?
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678069158205

If you are going to use a small wiper, why not just add more.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678069088835

kraal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
I hope the North will receive lots of CTs in the first year because the wiper will probably fail the snow/ice! In the same way, the front camera, near the licence plate will be just unusable! I also expect that it will be inexpensive, it will be a consumable (stones' target).
Then, in 2025 my CT will have several improvements!

Sometimes I think that Tesla is just thinking about deserts and beaches for the CT's usage!!

It won't be easy to find a good solution, because there's no hiding under the hood, because it is flush with the windscreen, then it can't stay horizontal because of the aerodynamics and the aerodynamic noise that it will make!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I wonder how the BAW will deal with this kind of morning:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the SAW are you thinking something like this?
1678069158205.png

If you are going to use a small wiper, why not just add more.

1678069088835.png
I am talking micro wiper. Just big enough to clean the glass in front of that small camera lense. Of course more cameras will give better results in downpour with benefit of redundancy. The cameras will have to be as close to each other as possible to keep the same perspective. The idea is the image from every camera is used right after the wipe and before the next drop hit the glass. Then the image from next camera that is just wiped clean, then the third. If you have three cameras, The chance of having good images to sequence is three times as much. The whole thing could be an inch wide. Something like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678076913187

Alternatively you can have one camera with a rotating wiper: And an image processor that in sync with the wiper and uses only clean images.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678076757127

or some sort of air pressure solution just for the glass in front of camera and wiper as a backup.
Sponsored

Last edited: