Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I hope they put a camera in the front bumper ...makes parking a large vehicle much easier, definitely wish my MYP had one
The model 3 already displays distance to obstruction and a red line relative to outline of the car. so it works, but not as nice a camera!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Someone figure out what this is.

1654627543254.png
I don't know what it is but it's visible on the outside shots and they are clearly doing something through the windshield on the driver's side. I think that is why the wiper is short. Looks like another camera?
Edit.... CT comes with hw4 fsd. There must be an additional forward camera.
Tesla Cybertruck New Cybertruck interior / dash photos - June 6, 2022 Screenshot_20220608-213059_Samsung Internet

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I don't know what it is but it's visible on the outside shots and they are clearly doing something through the windshield on the driver's side. I think that is why the wiper is short. Looks like another camera?
Screenshot_20220608-213059_Samsung Internet.jpg
I wonder if it is some sort of feedback on the wiper position. Maybe part of a deicing system?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Screenshot_20220608-213059_Samsung Internet.jpg
That assembly on the windscreen in front of the driver is just a automotive DIN plug that has been taped to the windscreen, probably because it's missing some cable ducting. You can see the cables running into the back of it.

As for the gear on the blacked out area of the front windscreen, it does look like some type of optical sensor arrangement, but it is not visible on the inside pictures, only the connector is.

As for the short windscreen wiper, well from what I can tell that isn't actually a functional wiper, as it doesn't have enough height for the driver let alone enough reach to do the passenger side which needs to be done as well... unless it's a telescoping one.

On the front seat it looks like they have mounted the seat belt pre-tensioner on the seat itself. Does that mean the seats might be removable like in a van? It would actually be pretty cool to have the seats mounted on rails inside the car...would open up a bunch of configuration options, and really simplify assembly.

Last edited:

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe that is a spot they were looking at mounting the rear view mirror? Should be up there, somewhere near the middle… I like the look of the door panels, too.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
The model 3 already displays distance to obstruction and a red line relative to outline of the car. so it works, but not as nice a camera!
Yeah more for curbs or lower objects...overall system works fine for daily use

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
How big is the frame above the front seats? Does the glass roof start further back? I thought is was glass even above front seats... again this is only a proto.. but still..

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
All I can say is I'm glad this is a prototype. Tesla has another 18 months to figure it out before setting up production.

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I just noticed on my last long drive how often I look at my mirrors, specifically without a lane change planned. I hope I can set the A pillar cameras to always show on the instrument cluster, never really saw the redundant info as useful in s/x. I am stoked that this will push them to roll out updates more uniformly now that one is in a mass market vehicle.

I wonder if Elon still plans to have the CT make water from the AC's condensation.

A retractable BAW is genius.

Those are probably painted mX or mY seat risers without the carpet. Why would they work on finalizing seat design when they have so many interior options to flesh out.

Idk, I really like the distance from sensors more then my reverse camera, they just need more of them pointed at low curbs. Feels like a front bumper camera on a truck would need cleaning a lot.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I just noticed on my last long drive how often I look at my mirrors, specifically without a lane change planned. I hope I can set the A pillar cameras to always show on the instrument cluster, never really saw the redundant info as useful in s/x.
Yes, you can do this now in Teslas, I think. They added it to signaling for lane change, and there's a swipe on the screen you can do to bring it up.

-Crissa
Sponsored