Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Hey, just saw this and wanted to share:

Tesla Cybertruck Full Self Driving (FSD) gets closer to reality as Teslas can now autostop at traffic lights and stop signs. Screenshot_20200425-015236

Okay. I was thinking this would also automatically go through green lights. It doesn't... yet. But, with this release pushed out to the community, it won't take long for Tesla to gather enough data to make the move to seeing green!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
All those people that said not in their lifetime need to die pronto.
Let the bodies hit the floor let the bodies hit tha.... FLOOOOORRRRRRRR!

At the speed Tesla advances im shocked it wasnt sooner actually!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Just say where you want to go. Your Tesla will drive you through city streets, across highways interchanges, go around slow cars and exit all on its own.

You just monitor.""

There is a wee bit of Muskovian shall we call it "enthusiasm" in that. Here's what the release notes say:

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is designed to recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs, slowing your car to a stop when using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer. This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, blinking yellow, and off lights. As your car approaches an intersection, your car will indicate the intention to slow down via a notification, slow down, and stop at the red line shown on the driving visualization.

To continue through the stop line, push down the gear selector once or briefly press the accelerator pedal to confirm that it is safe to proceed. As with all Autopilot features, you must continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action, including braking because this feature may not stop for all traffic controls. This feature will be conservative, slowdown often at first, and will not attempt to turn through intersections."

Note especially the bolded parts of the second paragraph.

OP
OP
TyPope

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Just say where you want to go. Your Tesla will drive you through city streets, across highways interchanges, go around slow cars and exit all on its own.

You just monitor.""

There is a wee bit of Muskovian shall we call it "enthusiasm" in that. Here's what the release notes say:

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is designed to recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs, slowing your car to a stop when using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer. This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, blinking yellow, and off lights. As your car approaches an intersection, your car will indicate the intention to slow down via a notification, slow down, and stop at the red line shown on the driving visualization.

To continue through the stop line, push down the gear selector once or briefly press the accelerator pedal to confirm that it is safe to proceed. As with all Autopilot features, you must continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action, including braking because this feature may not stop for all traffic controls. This feature will be conservative, slowdown often at first, and will not attempt to turn through intersections."

Note especially the bolded parts of the second paragraph.
Darn. I misread that. I knew this release was out and when this "new" news hit, I thought they had solved the greenlight/redlight thing... I'm sorry to clog up the forum with poor research.

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Darn. I misread that. I knew this release was out and when this "new" news hit, I thought they had solved the greenlight/redlight thing... I'm sorry to clog up the forum with poor research.
The FSD visualization has shown stoplight color changes since an update earlier this year, they probably need more data from a safety and regulatory standpoint before they can allow the vehicles to automatically respond. It’s impressive what they’ve been able to accomplish thus far and will only get better.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
.... I thought they had solved the greenlight/redlight thing...
It isn't something that they will ever 'solve' but rather something to be improved upon. A recent video with the head of their AI group has him talking about stop sign recognition being 99.5% accurate after billions of miles of analyzed data. That sounds pretty good until you realize that it means that in approaching 1000 stop signs (at 5 a day that's a bit over 6 months of driving) the car will miss 5. As I recall the FAA wanted 5 nines reliability before declaring GPS reliable enough for approach navigation. So yes we are closer but it's going to be some time before we are "close enough".
Sponsored