Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Let's all not forget the reason Teslas are so cool/popular. THEY ARE FUN! if they weren't fun, do you think Tesla would be where it is today? Oh, and how many people would opt for ludicrous or plaid if they new in a future software update that these modes would not be available on public roads? Every time we get in a vehicle we risk out lives and others. I personally appreciate the connection between man and machine, the feeling of power and control are exhilarating. My 69 big block Vette has a manual transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way. Is it dangerous? Yep. But it sure is a blast! Let's just be careful and not let all the power get control of us!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
But I digress. I would just like the reassurance that full control will always be available if I choose, on my terms. Also I'm not a big fan of "features" that remind me of what I'm supposed to be doing unless I set it up to do so.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
But I digress. I would just like the reassurance that full control will always be available if I choose, on my terms. Also I'm not a big fan of "features" that remind me of what I'm supposed to be doing unless I set it up to do so.
Is that because you feel guilty? ? No I'm kidding. Yes motorcycles are dangerous too yet I still ride them!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Dids points are that Freedom is not universal by definition the world around. Gov'ts will have different regulatory constraints like currently EU has GDPR privacy regulations. AND what Dids points imply is that these will be locked down by regulation going forward. SO its important over time as facts are irrefutable evidence. Free market economies will simply " rate" freedoms and insurance companies will charge evidence-based premiums for the freedoms you choose. Essentially, metering usage rather than access to freedom. THAT is ultimate risk of a proprietary software driven-platform that doesn't respect PRIVACY, OWNERSHIP and CONTROL of the software, its use or outputs. Tesla could very well finance and bundle finance terms to mandatory report access to such usage factors. Tesla could insure or sell the access to Third Party insurers equally at profit without owning the insurance platform. Dids does us the favor of academic debate " What is your freedom worth?"

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I guess we have to stand up for what we believe. If they (government regulations, third party insurers or whatever) take away my ability to have fun with my new Cybertruck, then I simply won't get one. Would YOU buy one (and pay extra for performance options) if it was locked in "chill mode" (for everyone's safety) when on public roads? Not me.
Ideally, if Tesla left their software "open source" or at least left it easily modifiable, that would be good enough for me (even though I know that won't ever happen).
Don't get me wrong, we need some regulations or we'd all be driving around in death traps. The thing that breaks my heart is that there are so many people now a days that are so quick to give up their little "freedoms" here and there in exchange for security (either real or implied).
But please, let's keep this about Tesla and Cybertruck. I know, I know, I keep getting off subject. I just want to voice my thoughts on my fear about things like "lane departure warnings". This is where it starts. Next thing you know it's mandatory and you cannot disable it. Oh, and if it's malfunctioning, it won't allow the car to start until you get it serviced and replaced by the manufacturer.
I would love if Tesla had a "legacy" mode the driver could select that made their vehicles behave like normal (maybe so I could still get that "old school" feel once in a while (when I'm feeling a little froggy)). I've never had a Tesla before and I admit I'm a little fearful of all of the automatic warnings and features. That being said I DID opt for full self driving because I think it would be awesome to go kayaking, biking or something and have my Cybertruck pick me up at the finish. Or I could send it to go pick up my Gramma while I'm at work and take her to the doctor, hair dresser, (fill in the blank). But I would not get it if I couldn't disable it.
Now, all of THAT being said, I have recently chosen to give up some of my freedom to keep people safe from Corona virus. I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite, or, am I just striking a balance of what I believe in?
Anyway, let me have control of my Cybertruck when I want it. Let me CHOOSE to hand over control to the machine when I want.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I guess we have to stand up for what we believe. If they (government regulations, third party insurers or whatever) take away my ability to have fun with my new Cybertruck, then I simply won't get one. Would YOU buy one (and pay extra for performance options) if it was locked in "chill mode" (for everyone's safety) when on public roads? Not me.
Ideally, if Tesla left their software "open source" or at least left it easily modifiable, that would be good enough for me (even though I know that won't ever happen).
Don't get me wrong, we need some regulations or we'd all be driving around in death traps. The thing that breaks my heart is that there are so many people now a days that are so quick to give up their little "freedoms" here and there in exchange for security (either real or implied).
But please, let's keep this about Tesla and Cybertruck. I know, I know, I keep getting off subject. I just want to voice my thoughts on my fear about things like "lane departure warnings". This is where it starts. Next thing you know it's mandatory and you cannot disable it. Oh, and if it's malfunctioning, it won't allow the car to start until you get it serviced and replaced by the manufacturer.
I would love if Tesla had a "legacy" mode the driver could select that made their vehicles behave like normal (maybe so I could still get that "old school" feel once in a while (when I'm feeling a little froggy)). I've never had a Tesla before and I admit I'm a little fearful of all of the automatic warnings and features. That being said I DID opt for full self driving because I think it would be awesome to go kayaking, biking or something and have my Cybertruck pick me up at the finish. Or I could send it to go pick up my Gramma while I'm at work and take her to the doctor, hair dresser, (fill in the blank). But I would not get it if I couldn't disable it.
Now, all of THAT being said, I have recently chosen to give up some of my freedom to keep people safe from Corona virus. I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite, or, am I just striking a balance of what I believe in?
Anyway, let me have control of my Cybertruck when I want it. Let me CHOOSE to hand over control to the machine when I want.
That's a tough line to toe, isn't it? I want to be able to choose a safety feature if I want but at the same time, I WANT people to wear seatbelts. If I'm ever in an accident, I don't want someone's death on my hands because they were expressing their right to not wear a seatbelt. At the same time, I don't want to be forced to do the speed limit at all times. Let me decide when it is safe to exceed the posted limits. I suppose we are all hypocrites at some level.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That's a tough line to toe, isn't it? I want to be able to choose a safety feature if I want but at the same time, I WANT people to wear seatbelts. If I'm ever in an accident, I don't want someone's death on my hands because they were expressing their right to not wear a seatbelt. At the same time, I don't want to be forced to do the speed limit at all times. Let me decide when it is safe to exceed the posted limits. I suppose we are all hypocrites at some level.
What if you were forced to do the speed limit at all times but the limit varied based on road surface/ weather and was in excess of 100mph in areas where FSD thought it appropriate? In this scenario little old ladies would not be allowed to turn off FSD and drive 40 mph.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
What if you were forced to do the speed limit at all times but the limit varied based on road surface/ weather and was in excess of 100mph in areas where FSD thought it appropriate? In this scenario little old ladies would not be allowed to turn off FSD and drive 40 mph.
Like I said, it's a tough line to toe. I've seen iRobot. We don't need someone deciding how safe we should be though, I want my neighbors to follow the electrical codes... Don't want them killing my family just because they decide to be idiots.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
My 2 cents is...
pirate code
"Its more of guidelines, than actual rules"

Tesla Cybertruck Driving assistance features f8a0c3dd556857fffead604bf9a5548d

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
During last year's Autonomy day presentation, or similar, Elon clearly stated that FSD robotaxis would be Tesla leased or rented. Few individuals have deep enough pockets to retain personal liability as owners.
Please, CT drivers, lock out anyone but yourself and spouse (!Hehe) from using it, at your own risk!!!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Tesla Driving Assist is_the_primary motivation behind my CT reservation. Secondarily, Tesla's potential to mitigate AGW. Third, Tesla CT design implies everything about ICE, Big3 and petroleum are so last century. Is it about the pickup truck? No. Like everyone else, I need to get-on with living, the outdoors and lifestyle that supports habitable life.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
This is an important topic and I'm not even sure how I feel about machine control. We discussed it slightly on another thread but no one was bold.
So should you be allowed to turn it off? What if injury rate for occupants is 1/2 if it's on? If you turn it off and injure a passenger are you at fault? What if it's a kid?
What if you are an excellent driver and are 50% better than the machine but a truck hits you and you skid off the road and smash a baby. Are you responsible? With machine control the baby might have been avoided. No one knows you are 50% better because when nothing bad happens no one notices, only the failures are counted.
If overall machine is better should others allow me to turn it off and increase their risk? I'm guessing no because it would be willful harm. A reasonable person would not turn off safety equipment.
Are you giving up liberty? I dont know if you ever had liberty or freedom and I'm betting that quote from Franklin was given in a context that he probably never intended to be used with machine control. ?

It's called " bundling". Tesla have effectively co-opted safety in the name of Autopilot. So effectively, that you can't separate one from the other.

In this philosophical treaty discussion, bundling makes it impossible to separate the two AND not trigger risk.

I like Autopilot. It ranks as one of my main motivations buying Cybertruck. BUT safety isn't the benchmark by which I judged Autopilot as a must have " buy".

SO risk is not the philosophical caveat emptor you make it out to be. Tesla doesn't want the philosophical implications to which you assign to autopilot neither. Should DOT, insurers or lenders ascribe risk, safety and liability it will not be Tesla's determination. Tesla are not in the business of setting policy " how" its cars are driven.

Thank goodness the realm of human understanding, reason and responsibility remain the purview of operating a motor vehicle on public right of ways. Until the day arrives TheBoringCo. opens its tubes to the public, THEN it can set policy how to drive its tollways.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
So it appears most people want the freedom to operate, at least the ability to turn off machine control. This is a slippery slope though... Some machines are inoperable without computer control of some of the aspects of the machine. So what we are really saying is that a human operator mode must be supplied?
I can imagine a transition phase where the left lane is restricted to machine control vehicles at higher speed and human controlled has a lower speed limit.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So it appears most people want the freedom to operate, at least the ability to turn off machine control. This is a slippery slope though... Some machines are inoperable without computer control of some of the aspects of the machine. So what we are really saying is that a human operator mode must be supplied?
I can imagine a transition phase where the left lane is restricted to machine control vehicles at higher speed and human controlled has a lower speed limit.
Even the latest SpaceX Dragon capsule has the ability to OVERIDE computer controls. It will be a long time before us humans give total control to machines.
Sponsored