JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I GOT YOUR VOTE ;) Dude, here's hoping. I'm personally hoping for less insane features, because price will be beckoned with that pile. But, dang that'd be sick!

I wonder what we have zero idea about still. Like what they're legit hiding about it. Mid gate? The above mentions by you? One thing I realized recently was the bed width on at least the launch model was in fact 48" clear inside, given they rolled a quad into the bed. But, we probably should forget all about that truck. Seriously.

I love this stupid ugly truck they're making. It's been a frustratingly long ride, I am ready for my truck.
Which features are "insane"?

Every single one so far has been done before...just maybe not on the same vehicle.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Folded steel exoskeleton style unibody?

Everything in one?

-Crissa
As I said: just not all in one.

Not really folded as much as creased? But Delorean has fairly square stainless steel as well. The exoskeleton thing only applies to the front and rear fenders, the rest is structural pack, castings and cabin rollcage like the MY.

There are also a lot of cascading design features that make things possible. For example thick Stainless skin makes it pointless, rust proof for amphibious, bullet proof, structural. Getting more than one function out of a part is key to improving efficiency and reducing cost.

So really the "insane" features are a result of good design starting with the right base materials, but not just from adding ad hoc components to add features. I think the biggest add on they did which was not included in the original was 4WS, but there are plenty of cars with 4WS too.

It will be a fantastic overall vehicle though. No doubt. 😎

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
As I said: just not all in one.

Not really folded as much as creased? But Delorean has fairly square stainless steel as well. The exoskeleton thing only applies to the front and rear fenders, the rest is structural pack, castings and cabin rollcage like the MY.

There are also a lot of cascading design features that make things possible. For example thick Stainless skin makes it pointless, rust proof for amphibious, bullet proof, structural. Getting more than one function out of a part is key to improving efficiency and reducing cost.

So really the "insane" features are a result of good design starting with the right base materials, but not just from adding ad hoc components to add features. I think the biggest add on they did which was not included in the original was 4WS, but there are plenty of cars with 4WS too.

It will be a fantastic overall vehicle though. No doubt. 😎
I just mean in general features cost. Most notably range. That costs them more than it costs us. They could sale 2 duals for every 1.35 tris at announcement range.
Dah well. 3 more days

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The closer we get to production, the more I'm actually thinking they are sticking pretty much exactly with the concept, with a bit of refinement. I don't think they were talking out of their ass. This is their design. I think the size will be very close to original. The shape is pretty much spot on, and the materials will be the same. They've added 4-wheel steering and a Quad option for sure. Driver display likely, and I think their may be a mid-gate or at least a dropping window.

The price is going up, but keep in mind vs competitors that:
1. It doesn't need paint. (5% of cost?)
2. They don't have dealers. (5-10% of cost.)
3. They are using castings front and back. (5% of cost?)
4. Cheaper battery tech. (5-10% of cost?)
5. No marketing (5% of cost.)

That's 25-35% of the vehicle cost, and I'm being fairly conservative there. That means in theory they could match the value of a 100k Hummer for around $65-75k. I wouldn't worry about extra features when they are ditching a whole bunch of stuff that gives no tangible value to the customer. I expect initial Cybertruck models will be a bit pricey as they ramp up and deal with the demand backlog, but it will settle into an affordable to semi-affordable price before too long, and better value than almost any vehicle on the road.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The closer we get to production, the more I'm actually thinking they are sticking pretty much exactly with the concept, with a bit of refinement. I don't think they were talking out of their ass. This is their design. I think the size will be very close to original. The shape is pretty much spot on, and the materials will be the same. They've added 4-wheel steering and a Quad option for sure. Driver display likely, and I think their may be a mid-gate or at least a dropping window.

The price is going up, but keep in mind vs competitors that:
1. It doesn't need paint. (5% of cost?)
2. They don't have dealers. (5-10% of cost.)
3. They are using castings front and back. (5% of cost?)
4. Cheaper battery tech. (5-10% of cost?)
5. No marketing (5% of cost.)

That's 25-35% of the vehicle cost, and I'm being fairly conservative there. That means in theory they could match the value of a 100k Hummer for around $65-75k. I wouldn't worry about extra features when they are ditching a whole bunch of stuff that gives no tangible value to the customer. I expect initial Cybertruck models will be a bit pricey as they ramp up and deal with the demand backlog, but it will settle into an affordable to semi-affordable price before too long, and better value than almost any vehicle on the road.
Hence my price estimate of $65k with quad motor, 4WS and 420miles of range.
But no midgate now because of amphibious mode, and no wind down midgate because there is no space below the window to put it because of the midgate crease.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You can't overcome the physics of clearance between the wheel wells though, so 48" is about all you will get. In the back they need around 16" each side for the wheel well, which only gives them 4" to do clearance from the wheel through bodywork to the bed. And they need room for the rear 4WS angle. So I don't know they are doing it even now.
The CT has wheel guards that extend beyond the body. I have never seen a CT in person so I don’t know how far they stick out, and it seemed from looking at pics that the wheel may extend beyond the covers. The steering angle of the 4WS is certainly a valid point but so far the angles I have seen have been very small and maybe not an issue. I would not be surprised to find the CT bed 60” wide.
Tesla Cybertruck 2 Cybertruck Exoskeleton Bodies Arrive at Giga Texas! * UPDATE * Elon Confirmed 018FA583-7D28-47DD-93A8-942A5D8C5707

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
But no midgate now because of amphibious mode, and no wind down midgate because there is no space below the window to put it because of the midgate crease.
You are forgetting that some of the technology they are using will cost less to manufacture. We don’t know how much less but you could guess at another 10% on your numbers.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Doors are sealed. Doors are lower than midgate. If doors can resist water, so can midgate.

The back window is relatively short. It can fit into the midgate with little modification to it's shape, if any. Assuming a midgate is added, the shape would change regardless. The partial access to the vault is not up for debate; Elon already confirmed it. The only question is to what degree. Midgate, sliding window or dropping window. I expect at least dropping window - saw a Tundra with it today - with a high possibility of full midgate to match the Chevy, and because it's cool.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The CT has wheel guards that extend beyond the body. I have never seen a CT in person so I don’t know how far they stick out, and it seemed from looking at pics that the wheel may extend beyond the covers. The steering angle of the 4WS is certainly a valid point but so far the angles I have seen have been very small and maybe not an issue. I would not be surprised to find the CT bed 60” wide.
018FA583-7D28-47DD-93A8-942A5D8C5707.jpeg
Note F150 has a wider bed overall, because it has bed internal wheel arches, which the CT doesn't. Between the wheel wells is probably about the same (50") without allowance for 4WS.

The tyres are higher than the bottom of the bed in highway mode suspension height.
Width measurements includes the guards but not the mirrors. I have my own CAD drawing of the CT and it's impossible to get 60" wide bed, as this would only allow 10" for a tyre on each side including body structure and gap for suspension travel and 4WS turning. The tyres on the prototype are 12.4" wide as they are, so 80" -25" = 55" or only 3.5" left each side for clearance, 4WS and bed wall to get to 48".

To even get this width to work they had to make a diagonal crease in the rear of the CT bed wall, so that the interior of the bed is angled inwards, origami style.

Tesla Cybertruck 2 Cybertruck Exoskeleton Bodies Arrive at Giga Texas! * UPDATE * Elon Confirmed CyberTruckBed vM

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Doors are sealed. Doors are lower than midgate. If doors can resist water, so can midgate.

The back window is relatively short. It can fit into the midgate with little modification to it's shape, if any. Assuming a midgate is added, the shape would change regardless. The partial access to the vault is not up for debate; Elon already confirmed it. The only question is to what degree. Midgate, sliding window or dropping window. I expect at least dropping window - saw a Tundra with it today - with a high possibility of full midgate to match the Chevy, and because it's cool.
Midgate seals would be a pain to keep clear of debris unlike the door seals where it can be designed to drop large bits, especially considering people will load sand, dirt, gravel etc in the bed. Another reason to not have a midgate at all btw. Lights in the top of the tailgate means you can just drive around with the tailgate open for the same length gain and no fuss around making a midgate work with vault cover, let alone making the midgate wall "flat" so you can actually use it properly as a loading floor. That same midgate crease angle is why a wind down window won't work. It would need a major redesign.

Tesla Cybertruck 2 Cybertruck Exoskeleton Bodies Arrive at Giga Texas! * UPDATE * Elon Confirmed CyberTruckBed vM2

This would be easier and cheaper and you can use it as a step. Better than having a steep ramp too.
Tesla Cybertruck 2 Cybertruck Exoskeleton Bodies Arrive at Giga Texas! * UPDATE * Elon Confirmed Tesla Flipstop tailgate feature
Sponsored

Last edited: