John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Having a full-length, eight foot bed on Cybertruck would be awesome.

I often use a 6.5’ bed (Silverado) and always wish I had 8’ instead.

Our garage is 24’ deep, so extra length would be okay ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It's going to have a flip stop on the gate as well as the ramp, so it's basically like having an 8 foot bed.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I have no need for an 8-foot bed, but if it were an option I would consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
IMO a flip stop at 8’ that secures full sheets of plywood, 2x4s, etc gives the best of both worlds. A cool feature would be lights on the top of the gate that would eliminate the need to attch red flags to materials, but in the big picture it’s also introduces something else breakable to a rough, high traffic area. The juice might not be worth the squeeze on something like that.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
See, here's the thing, I've been driving my '03 F150 supercrew for 18 years, so I'm used to having a 6.5 foot bed. Anyway, I'm gonna have a SS lumber rack, so for anything extra long it won't be an issue. Keep it simple...?

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
My truck is a older Toyota pickup longbed, 7ft I believe. I doubt 6 inches less would have caused any problems.
But since I had it set up as a camper for a while an extra foot would have helped.
But for everyday use I'm sure 6.5 is fine.

CyberTrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
Country flag
Drywall comes in sheets. While the most common size is 4 x 8 feet.

I could use a roof rack, but because of the weight, using the bed is easier and safer.

However, extensions braces to the bed would be another possibility.

OP
OP
thejohnllama

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Drywall comes in sheets. While the most common size is 4 x 8 feet.

I could use a roof rack, but because of the weight, using the bed is easier and safer.
Stacking up 4x8s in the bed and actually closing the tailgate...such a happy thought! ? Cybertruck needs to be the ultimate work vehicle. Going big with a 4x8 bed is the way ?

OP
OP
thejohnllama

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
An 8' bed DOES have the advantage when it comes to pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer as you need the extra distance away from the cab.
Good point! I always haul plywood and drywall, but in-laws love their 5th wheel. I just don’t like the two rails on the bed that the 5th wheel attachment adds

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Good point! I always haul plywood and drywall, but in-laws love their 5th wheel. I just don’t like the two rails on the bed that the 5th wheel attachment adds
That's why I used this with my last truck:

Companion Hitch

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The problem with any kind of bed change is that the entire vehicle would need to be re-engineered. The reason that Tesla is going to be able to produce these at the costs they've outlined is that the body for every single truck will be identical. You would literally have to do a ground up redesign and have a separate production line to do CT's with 8' beds. It's one situation where classic body on frame is an advantage and where a Rivian or Nikola truck design will be able to offer something the CT can't.

Personally, even as a truck guy, I'd never buy a SuperCrew with an 8' bed on it unless I absolutely needed it. Too much of a pain to park in crowded lots or go anywhere in the downtown areas.

I think the number of people out there who really NEED 8' beds is pretty limited and it'll be a tradeoff you'll have to make for the CT. The CT design is a lot things, but one thing it isn't is flexible for key body modifications...at least for now.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The problem with any kind of bed change is that the entire vehicle would need to be re-engineered. The reason that Tesla is going to be able to produce these at the costs they've outlined is that the body for every single truck will be identical. You would literally have to do a ground up redesign and have a separate production line to do CT's with 8' beds. It's one situation where classic body on frame is an advantage and where a Rivian or Nikola truck design will be able to offer something the CT can't.

Personally, even as a truck guy, I'd never buy a SuperCrew with an 8' bed on it unless I absolutely needed it. Too much of a pain to park in crowded lots or go anywhere in the downtown areas.

I think the number of people out there who really NEED 8' beds is pretty limited and it'll be a tradeoff you'll have to make for the CT. The CT design is a lot things, but one thing it isn't is flexible for key body modifications...at least for now.
The entire community of RVers will prefer 8' over 6.5' beds... you have to have room there for the trailer to be able to be turned sharp. Also, most of the people who use work trucks will want the longer beds. Most of the trucks I see have the 8' bed around here but this isn't where most people live. So, you may have a point there. But, there are a LOT of people who need/prefer the longer bed.

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The entire community of RVers will prefer 8' over 6.5' beds... you have to have room there for the trailer to be able to be turned sharp. Also, most of the people who use work trucks will want the longer beds. Most of the trucks I see have the 8' bed around here but this isn't where most people live. So, you may have a point there. But, there are a LOT of people who need/prefer the longer bed.
If there weren't a market for it, then the truck companies wouldn't be making them. I totally agree that there is certainly a market for that size. I'm just pointing out that it's unlikely to happen with the CT given the unique design constraints associated with an exoskeleton based system.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag

Hi Todd, if you haven’t already, take a look at the video a professor at a UK Uni that analyses the Cybertruck design, I believe quite well.

I don’t believe a bed change requires a lot of re-engineering at all.

Basically steel plates that are welded in place at the back of the truck are simply sized appropriately, for the desired bed length and then welded in place.

Calculations beforehand determine the (Stainless Steel plate) sizing / reinforcing and the load capacity for a given bed length.

A different bed length does introduce a variation, which means the build process is not as absolutely simple, but it is still quite a small variation that returns exponential value and revenue as over 90% of the existing process and parts are leveraged, of the primary product stream.

This is extremely lucrative and simple, and virtually negligibly cheap for Tesla.
Especially given Munro's assessment to set up Cybertruck production in the first place.

The question is which bed length variation after 6.5ft to do first ?
I'd suggest its going to be a Shortbed, (~ 62" ), given the smaller Cybertruck Elon has confirmed will be 73" wide and they're currently working on. And the statement on the order page for international markets also confirms it.
Sponsored

Last edited: