Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And since I plan on doing very little autonomous driving, perhaps the wheel is a better option for me. Even though I *want* to love the yoke.
Keep in mind that Franz was very careful to avoid spoilers.

The yoke is ideal if you have progressive steering. But Franz wouldn’t broach that subject because it is an unannounced feature.
Sponsored

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
They are not tight lipped about CT, we are being led by carrot dangling. I’d prefer no yoke when I’m out in the mountains when your steering wheel violently moves because of ruts, but you still need something to grab, a yoke would be stupid for that. FSD really sounds cool, but when I’m out hunting and fishing hard to get to areas, I doubt that option would be useful in anyway. Mid gates only seems cool if you want to camp inside the vault for the extra room. I wouldn’t put lumber inside the cab for any reason, it’s dangerous and tacky, plus it would damage the inside of a luxury interior. Quad steering is cute, but not as practical as it’s made out to be. I want to see the CT out doing things they claim it can, even a crap manufacturer Rivian showed off how it worked and went to events to demonstrate its abilities, and let people crawl all over them. Tesla should be confident of the abilities of the CT, and not be afraid of people ripping off their ideas… it’s supposed to be better than everything out there so what if they check it out.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They are not tight lipped about CT, we are being led by carrot dangling. I’d prefer no yoke when I’m out in the mountains when your steering wheel violently moves because of ruts, but you still need something to grab, a yoke would be stupid for that. FSD really sounds cool, but when I’m out hunting and fishing hard to get to areas, I doubt that option would be useful in anyway. Mid gates only seems cool if you want to camp inside the vault for the extra room. I wouldn’t put lumber inside the cab for any reason, it’s dangerous and tacky, plus it would damage the inside of a luxury interior. Quad steering is cute, but not as practical as it’s made out to be. I want to see the CT out doing things they claim it can, even a crap manufacturer Rivian showed off how it worked and went to events to demonstrate its abilities, and let people crawl all over them. Tesla should be confident of the abilities of the CT, and not be afraid of people ripping off their ideas… it’s supposed to be better than everything out there so what if they check it out.
Yoke makes sense if it’s steer by wire and progressive steering.

Which kind of makes for an interesting question. If it’s steer by wire and you are wrestling a rut, how much feedback do you get? Anyone who’s done even light off-roading has felt the wheel jerk and fight you. That feedback is important. It’s like braille for terrain.

Rivian and Tesla have different philosophies and needs about launch. Rivian needed that promotion to get buzz for their truck. They even put out a bunch of trucks for the press and took them on a road trip. They absolutely needed that press in order to fill up their order books so when they IPO’d at the end of 2021 they could maximize the amount of revenue it generated.

Tesla does not need buzz for the Cybertruck, it is self-serving buzz. They don’t need to hand build a bunch of prototypes for the press to play around. They don’t need to fill up their order book. They aren’t worried about fund raising.

Tesla is just focused on getting to production right now which is what they should be doing.

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
Yoke makes sense if it’s steer by wire and progressive steering.

Which kind of makes for an interesting question. If it’s steer by wire and you are wrestling a rut, how much feedback do you get? Anyone who’s done even light off-roading has felt the wheel jerk and fight you. That feedback is important. It’s like braille for terrain.

Rivian and Tesla have different philosophies and needs about launch. Rivian needed that promotion to get buzz for their truck. They even put out a bunch of trucks for the press and took them on a road trip. They absolutely needed that press in order to fill up their order books so when they IPO’d at the end of 2021 they could maximize the amount of revenue it generated.

Tesla does not need buzz for the Cybertruck, it is self-serving buzz. They don’t need to hand build a bunch of prototypes for the press to play around. They don’t need to fill up their order book. They aren’t worried about fund raising.

Tesla is just focused on getting to production right now which is what they should be doing.
Good points. Thanks

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yep, good points.

Software can emulate everything. But do we want our car to feel like a horse ? :D

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I installed a yoke steering wheel in my Tesla Model Y because I wanted to try it. After using it for two weeks, I noticed no difference in how I drive compared to before. I don't even realize that I am using a yoke now. When I think back to my drive this morning, I don't even remember using a yoke at all. From what I can see, most people who dislike the yoke haven't even tried it.

I believe that any other task, even off-roading with a yoke, would have the same result. While my Model Y is not designed for off-roading, any technique I had prior was quickly adjusted for and became muscle memory.

I suspect that the learning curve for using a yoke off-road or towing is similar in length and difficulty as learning to avoid getting spoke-whipped by a rut or lining up a hitch for the first time. I also wondered about feedback for the CT off road and I can see some kind of adjustable clutch-motor combo in the steering system for forced feedback.

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I installed a yoke steering wheel in my Tesla Model Y because I wanted to try it. After using it for two weeks, I noticed no difference in how I drive compared to before. I don't even realize that I am using a yoke now. When I think back to my drive this morning, I don't even remember using a yoke at all. From what I can see, most people who dislike the yoke haven't even tried it.

I believe that any other task, even off-roading with a yoke, would have the same result. While my Model Y is not designed for off-roading, any technique I had prior was quickly adjusted for and became muscle memory.

I suspect that the learning curve for using a yoke off-road or towing is similar in length and difficulty as learning to avoid getting spoke-whipped by a rut or lining up a hitch for the first time. I also wondered about feedback for the CT off road and I can see some kind of adjustable clutch-motor combo in the steering system for forced feedback.
My concern is i support my arms on the steering wheel especially on longer drives such as resting my right wrist on the 12 o'clock position or resting my left arm on the window sill and holding the steering with a couple of left hand fingers.

The yoke (and i have to try it to be sure) seems like it forces your arms and hands in a more sporting non relaxed position while not allowing certain positions as can be had with a regular wheel

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
My concern is i support my arms on the steering wheel especially on longer drives such as resting my right wrist on the 12 o'clock position or resting my left arm on the window sill and holding the steering with a couple of left hand fingers.

The yoke (and i have to try it to be sure) seems like it forces your arms and hands in a more sporting non relaxed position while not allowing certain positions as can be had with a regular wheel

One of the reason for the yoke is for safety reasons.

You should not rest your hands at 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock or 13 o'clock positions because if the airbag deploys it will very very likely break your wrist, possibly break your arm and your hand will seriously smack you in the face too.

I will not post pictures here of injuries suffered by airbag deployment because many are very gruesome and it will be just after breakfast where some of you are.

Even if you are parked out of traffic lanes the airbags can deploy if a vehicle hits yours.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
It felt just like when I switched from driving manual to automatic, and my foot would search for a clutch at every stop. The Y has a big old window sill for your elbow. So, now I rest my left elbow on the window ledge with a couple of fingers on the top left corner of the yoke, ready to push downward for steering if need be. My right elbow is either on the armrest or my lap, and I have a couple of fingers on the bottom right corner of the yoke, ready to push up for steering if necessary. Or, I have both hands on my lap and my fingers/palms resting at the bottom of the yoke.

Then, when anticipating a maneuver, my hands naturally pop to the 9 and 3. There's no sloppy arm crossing, uncoordinated hands, or anything else.

Of all things in the adjustment period only 2 stood out to me:
1) the phantom top of the wheel grab in tight rapid maneuvers, and
2) where to rest my arms/hands.

After a few days –for me it was definitely by the 3rd week– my brain simply worked it out without me even noticing. Now, I whip and switch the same as ever.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If we feel the need to rest our arms, its usually when we are in 'cruise' mood, and likely we have been cruising.

If so, driver assist would be helping, and there is less need to put your arm on the wheel as before. We will find another comfortable position. Probably.