AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3
Country flag
IMHO, wrap is for paint protection or purely cosmetic. One of my primary motivators for a Cybertruck is the SS exterior and I won't clutter it with stick on shite. 😊

Biggest disappointments:

Reduced size = snub nose & smaller frunk
No Middle Front Seat.
Mega Windshield Wiper
No V2G

Unknowns:

My actual delivery date (12/03/2019 Res)?
Price?
Battery size/range?
Steer by wire and if so, emergency backup?
Outlet(s) in Frunk?
110 & 220V output?
Useable radar for collision avoidance, parking/charging?

A price more than 20% higher than 2019 estimates might be a show stopper. I can probably live with everything else.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
black won’t be any warmer than stainless steel in the sun.
If you are talking about hot to the touch, that may be true as the color would have less to do with thermal conductivity than the material and a vinyl wrap is likely less transmissive and therefore cooler. However if you are talking about heat transfer resulting in interior cab temperature your statement is not physically possible. Stainless will absorb about 50-60% of solar energy. if its polished, you can get it closer to 40%. A black finish will absorb about 80-90%. In warm environments, if you need maximum range and charging is an issue i would suggest you do not get a matte black finish. its about the worst choice you can make for heat absorption, which the vehicles climate control system will have to offset by using extra battery capacity. The same holds true for car interiors and window tints/coatings that block light energy from entering the cab in the first place. Teslas heat pump system is incredibly efficient and obviously many people aren't buying a CT to minimize their carbon footprint. In cold climates a black coating will be a better choice as far as energy efficiency goes.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/solar-radiation-absorbed-materials-d_1568.html

SamFromValleyCenter

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll be fine with the Stailess Steel, and that what I'll pay for. I will use it to go off-road, on-road, city, rural and whatever it takes. I will own this truck not the truck own me !

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
bywhmwv-jpg.jpg

This wrap looks cool
I have a buddy thats an aerospace engineer designing missile systems and he was saying that some of the best tech in vehicle skins actually uses texture to create tiny swirls that act like ball bearings along the surface and reduces the drag. If you zoom really close to shark skin it actually looks like a modern military jet or a bat mobile. They 3d printed a fabric out of a shark skin model and it actually improved efficiency in fluid tests by about 6%. So its a 3d printed shark skin wrap for me please.

Tesla Cybertruck Matte Black Cybertruck Finally Appears!! 😱 Driven by Franz Von Holzhausen 1699295778498

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I know that August in AZ feels like plasma on your skin! I’ll put it this way, if you can drive your CT somewhere over Mach 5, I’m certain we can get you the ceramics for your CT.
I just did some math. The approximate terminal velocity of the CT, unpowered, would be just under 500 miles per hour. Not even Mach 1. So I canceled my order for hypersonic airflow heatshield tiles. Bummer. Or maybe I need to keep the order and start researching truck mounted jet engines! like this guy.

Tesla Cybertruck Matte Black Cybertruck Finally Appears!! 😱 Driven by Franz Von Holzhausen 1699297802330

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I just did some math. The approximate terminal velocity of the CT, unpowered, would be just under 500 miles per hour. Not even Mach 1. So I canceled my order for hypersonic airflow heatshield tiles. Bummer. Or maybe I need to keep the order and start researching truck mounted jet engines! like this guy.

1699297802330.png
For hypersonic speeds, you're going to need a rocket. Even afterburners on a jet won't get you there. If you want to stay electric, a rail gun will hit those speeds, just not sure how you could maintain that speed on the road. BUT, imagine the range you could coast!

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
For hypersonic speeds, you're going to need a rocket. Even afterburners on a jet won't get you there. If you want to stay electric, a rail gun will hit those speeds, just not sure how you could maintain that speed on the road. BUT, imagine the range you could coast!
now we're talkin'. Couple hundred thousand pounds of thrust on a 6500 lb vehicle. That should do the trick.

Tesla Cybertruck Matte Black Cybertruck Finally Appears!! 😱 Driven by Franz Von Holzhausen 1699298577571

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
If you are talking about hot to the touch, that may be true as the color would have less to do with thermal conductivity than the material and a vinyl wrap is likely less transmissive and therefore cooler. However if you are talking about heat transfer resulting in interior cab temperature your statement is not physically possible. Stainless will absorb about 50-60% of solar energy. if its polished, you can get it closer to 40%. A black finish will absorb about 80-90%. In warm environments, if you need maximum range and charging is an issue i would suggest you do not get a matte black finish. its about the worst choice you can make for heat absorption, which the vehicles climate control system will have to offset by using extra battery capacity. The same holds true for car interiors and window tints/coatings that block light energy from entering the cab in the first place. Teslas heat pump system is incredibly efficient and obviously many people aren't buying a CT to minimize their carbon footprint. In cold climates a black coating will be a better choice as far as energy efficiency goes.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/solar-radiation-absorbed-materials-d_1568.html

This is a wrap GOING OVER THE STAINLESS NOT REPLACING IT.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
This is a wrap GOING OVER THE STAINLESS NOT REPLACING IT.
right, but its the surface that the light hits that determines how much energy will be absorbed vs. reflected. a white roof goes over the sheathing but it will keep the attic much cooler than a black roof over the same sheathing.

zoomer0056

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
IMHO, wrap is for paint protection or purely cosmetic. One of my primary motivators for a Cybertruck is the SS exterior and I won't clutter it with stick on shite. 😊

Biggest disappointments:

Reduced size = snub nose & smaller frunk
No Middle Front Seat.
Mega Windshield Wiper
No V2G

Unknowns:

My actual delivery date (12/03/2019 Res)?
Price?
Battery size/range?
Steer by wire and if so, emergency backup?
Outlet(s) in Frunk?
110 & 220V output?
Useable radar for collision avoidance, parking/charging?

A price more than 20% higher than 2019 estimates might be a show stopper. I can probably live with everything else.
Wrap is only cosmetic. Only PPF offers protection. However, now there are colored PPF options.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I have a buddy thats an aerospace engineer designing missile systems and he was saying that some of the best tech in vehicle skins actually uses texture to create tiny swirls that act like ball bearings along the surface and reduces the drag. If you zoom really close to shark skin it actually looks like a modern military jet or a bat mobile. They 3d printed a fabric out of a shark skin model and it actually improved efficiency in fluid tests by about 6%. So its a 3d printed shark skin wrap for me please.

1699295778498.png
6% is significant. Better efficiency than wheel covers.
Sponsored