Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Its a die casting machine, not a press.
It is a press. Thus “Gigapress”.

Its used to smash 2 molds together at massive pressure so they can inject molten aluminum between the molds. But fundamentally the Gigapress is a press.

@TyPope ninja’d me.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
that makes me think they are experimenting
My OPINION.

Experiments are arguably done, given the tooling is there. They may be messing with formula, but the over all answer to the equation that is making the Cybertruck; is done.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There have been at least 3 drone crashes that we know of and only Jeff's that was on the roof.
I doubt Tesla cares about drone crashes which does not impact manufacturing or construction.

If a drone landed on someone or impacted equipment it would be a concern.

The roof one I could see being an issue for example. But a drone hitting a tree in the parking lot… meh.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My OPINION.

Experiments are arguably done, given the tooling is there. They may be messing with formula, but the over all answer to the equation that is making the Cybertruck; is done.
Not necessarily. Sounds like IDRA doesn’t test the press “hot”, they don’t have a forge or the bits to squeeze aluminum into the mold. Tesla hasn’t had a 9k ton press until now. So the actual press in motion with live Cybertruck marrow has never been tested. Cybertruck marrow… marrow hardens into bones right?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
They haven't started the press yet to see it fail.. and I doubt they get floor measurements wrong, only to discover as they are installing lol

Maybe early morning Sun glare?

But I'd say, its privacy.
The Cybertruck giga-casting team will be having a gigapress christening party and they don't want it recorded because the highlight of the party is christening the press by breaking a bottle of champange on the chromed slider followed by the crushing a brand new F-150 between the jaws of the gigapress with the full 9000 tons of pressure while the sound of " IN A GADDA DA VIDA" by Iron Butterfly is pumped in at high volume and the team polishes off a mini keg of Cybertruck IPA, the latest creation of Austin Beerworks. The lead engineer nixed the idea of tying a naked virgin between the press halves but they still don't want the crushing of the F-150 to leak to the press.

(13) IRON BUTTERFLY - IN A GADDA DA VIDA - 1968 (ORIGINAL FULL VERSION) CD SOUND & 3D VIDEO - YouTube

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Smaller size CF wrapped quad motors on all CTs is my prediction. Axial flux motors would be nice.
Could you imagine if they used two rear plaid motor assemblies from model s for the front and rear of the Plaid Cybertruck. I think a 0-60 in the 2.2 range is prob possible for this giant truck. Would be so dope!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Not necessarily. Sounds like IDRA doesn’t test the press “hot”, they don’t have a forge or the bits to squeeze aluminum into the mold. Tesla hasn’t had a 9k ton press until now. So the actual press in motion with live Cybertruck marrow has never been tested. Cybertruck marrow… marrow hardens into bones right?
The giga press has the hot injection parts with it. That is the secret sauce that makes it special. Yes it has 9000t clamping force but it needs that because it injects molten metal at that force. In other words it injects the whole volume of metal at 9000t of force in seconds.
I watched the IDRA videos

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Right, the tool (answer) is picked though, now they have to figure out the problem solving(how to utilize it). I didn't mean they have it all down, they just know generally what they'll use, but now it's the scientific "how" that they are figuring out.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
The giga press has the hot injection parts with it. That is the secret sauce that makes it special. Yes it has 9000t clamping force but it needs that because it injects molten metal at that force. In other words it injects the whole volume of metal at 9000t of force in seconds.
I watched the IDRA videos
What Dennis is saying is they didn't hot test, they didn't cast. And he's right, they didn't hot test the press in Italy.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Jsut as long as they don't try to break it on the window of a Cybertruck. :)
I will agree to buy (at standard price) any more Cybertruck's with broken side windows (not windshield or roof) from future tests done by Franz, Drew or Elon :)

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
The blocked out windows are telling though. Something is going on.

Gen 3 platform IS Cybertruck. Doesn't mean the March 1st event is going to showcase Cybertruck, but they could say that is what they'll use, and they also have a van / R1S on the way on the same platform.

We will see..

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The blocked out windows are telling though. Something is going on.

Gen 3 platform IS Cybertruck. Doesn't mean the March 1st event is going to showcase Cybertruck, but they could say that is what they'll use, and they also have a van / R1S on the way on the same platform.

We will see..
LOL… I think the Cybertruck is a side project. Or rather, off the mainline. For a while I thought they would make the cheaper car stainless. Folded, but Franz seemed to suggest otherwise in his last interview.

Gen 0 -> Roadster
Gen 1 -> Model S/X
Gen 2 -> Model 3/Y
Gen 3 -> ???Gen Cybertruck

~35 days

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
LOL… I think the Cybertruck is a side project. For a while I thought they would make the cheaper car stainless. Folded, but Franz seemed to suggest otherwise in his last interview.

~35 days
can you inject SS into a mold?

:devilish::cool: