First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Cool welded logo. I like it!

This has me thinking. I wonder if making a massive 3d printer welder would be a viable way to make a car. Or at least the frame, nah. The more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense. Could be cool for wacky prototypes tho.

Deleted member 3316

This has me thinking. I wonder if making a massive 3d printer welder would be a viable way to make a car. Or at least the frame, nah. The more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense. Could be cool for wacky prototypes tho.
It has been done… in carbon fibre… but it takes too long to print. And it’s difficult to make strong and light

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

3d printing is slow and does not scale. It is fantastic for low volume products and prototypes but not really a scalable manufacturing technique.

One of the things which cracked me up about the Ram concept was the idea that they would 3d print the mirrors for a production vehicle. It just doesn’t make sense, if you make 10,000 identical things, 3d printing is about the last method you would choose.