Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
i was fully prepared to put down $2500 like they required for the Model Y.. having said that i dont think they should ask people for more money after the fact.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This thread made me do some thinking today. First I was thinking interest free loan to Tesla. So far if there are 700,000 deposits with $100, we are at $70,000,000. Add another zero and were at $700 million. So $100 deposit was an easy decision. But $1000 started making me think. Hmmm What about the Semi? After doing a little research I saw on the reveal video which was posted Dec. 14 2017, they said the deposit was $5000 and the Semi production would start in 2019. Then I saw Tesla increased the deposit to $20,000 fairly soon after the reveal. Tesla has now stated, Semi production at a limited scale will start in 2021. So this made me do some more thinking. You would think in late 2017 when Tesla said they were going to produce the Semi in 2019, they would have been trying to find a location to build them. They sure can't build them in Fremont. So now here we are now, in mid 2020 with no idea of a location for their factory. One other thing I started thinking about today also. Don't you think Tesla would have built a small fleet of the Semi's for them to test by now? Why not build Semi's for them to use between Nevada and Fremont. Seems like a good test. 259 miles between the 2 locations. Both locations could have Megachargers for recharging. They would be getting tons of positive reactions from drivers along the route. It doesn't seem to be happening. So there you have my thoughts for today and why I don't want to see an increase in the reservation fee.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This thread made me do some thinking today. First I was thinking interest free loan to Tesla. So far if there are 700,000 deposits with $100, we are at $70,000,000. Add another zero and were at $700 million. So $100 deposit was an easy decision. But $1000 started making me think. Hmmm What about the Semi? After doing a little research I saw on the reveal video which was posted Dec. 14 2017, they said the deposit was $5000 and the Semi production would start in 2019. Then I saw Tesla increased the deposit to $20,000 fairly soon after the reveal. Tesla has now stated, Semi production at a limited scale will start in 2021. So this made me do some more thinking. You would think in late 2017 when Tesla said they were going to produce the Semi in 2019, they would have been trying to find a location to build them. They sure can't build them in Fremont. So now here we are now, in mid 2020 with no idea of a location for their factory. One other thing I started thinking about today also. Don't you think Tesla would have built a small fleet of the Semi's for them to test by now? Why not build Semi's for them to use between Nevada and Fremont. Seems like a good test. 259 miles between the 2 locations. Both locations could have Megachargers for recharging. They would be getting tons of positive reactions from drivers along the route. It doesn't seem to be happening. So there you have my thoughts for today and why I don't want to see an increase in the reservation fee.
Many speculate they held off on semi and roadster in order to (1) focus on model 3 production (2) Model Y production and (3) Develop better Battery tech allowing them to make the Semi and Roadster meet/exceed Tesla's goals. This is why so many of us are eagerly anticipating "Battery day".

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Many speculate they held off on semi and roadster in order to (1) focus on model 3 production (2) Model Y production and (3) Develop better Battery tech allowing them to make the Semi and Roadster meet/exceed Tesla's goals. This is why so many of us are eagerly anticipating "Battery day".
I could see Tesla thinking the battery technology may change. But 3 years ago they started taking $20,000 reservation fees for a product they said was going to be produced in less than 2 years. Even if battery technology is going to improve, I would think they would be building and testing some Semi's on public roads and started building the factory to produce them already. At the reveal the timeline for production was 2019. That doesn't seem right to hold all that money and just keep moving back production without showing progress. I'm not the least bit worried about my $100. But I don't see any reason to increase the reservation fees.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I could see Tesla thinking the battery technology may change. But 3 years ago they started taking $20,000 reservation fees for a product they said was going to be produced in less than 2 years. Even if battery technology is going to improve, I would think they would be building and testing some Semi's on public roads and started building the factory to produce them already. At the reveal the timeline for production was 2019. That doesn't seem right to hold all that money and just keep moving back production without showing progress. I'm not the least bit worried about my $100. But I don't see any reason to increase the reservation fees.
Do a quick google search, you will find tons of articles including photos of people spotting the Tesla Semi out Testing. Im not saying they should have made people wait, i am saying there is probably a really good reason. Also most of the reservation are from large companies, so they probably are in communication and more willing to wait for a high quality product. Also, i said i dont think they should increase OUR reservation price.. thats stupid.

One of the more recent Semi testing articles:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi-winter-testing/

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
While Tesla probably won't ever increase a deposit requirement, one way to accomplish a check on "real" deposits could be offering something of good value for less than expected price as an "option" for the CT. Lets say something like:
"Reserved your CT? reserve a solar vault and roof cover which will add 30 miles a day of charge for $2,000 now or $5,000 at time of purchase." That may not be a good example though. It should be something that everyone would want and will increase in price if you wait longer to get that. At the same time as offering the 'discounted' solar, Elon would Tweet out that they will prioritize production of the solar versions of the CT.

That way, most would probably rather add the solar option rather than fall further down the line. Just an idea.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I assume part of the giving Tesla extra deposit is to get the ball rolling.
$s are not the problem for Tesla. They don't need to raise more, ie raising deposit. Elon has said many times they can't spend it fast enough. The companies biggest struggle is finding talented workers. They would do much more if they could, but are limited by their work force. Re: CT and getting it going, $'s again are not the problem, it's talented work force and finding the correct location with said talent..

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I assume part of the giving Tesla extra deposit is to get the ball rolling.
$s are not the problem for Tesla. They don't need to raise more, ie raising deposit. Elon has said many times they can't spend it fast enough. The companies biggest struggle is finding talented workers. They would do much more if they could, but are limited by their work force. Re: CT and getting it going, $'s again are not the problem, it's talented work force and finding the correct location with said talent..
Tesla i give you.. Texas.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
here is a different thought....how about Tesla allows us to put money into our reservations and reduce the price of the truck by that amount. So lets say, for example, i put in $50 a month into the account over the next few years that's an easy down payment :)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That’s the length not the width ?
I was gonna give you a hard time, then I saw your location is France. So, it's a good possibility you are more used to working with metric measurements. The length of the bed is 6 1/2 feet, which works out to 78 inches. So 57 inches does seem correct for the width.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I was gonna give you a hard time, then I saw your location is France. So, it's a good possibility you are more used to working with metric measurements. The length of the bed is 6 1/2 feet, which works out to 78 inches. So 57 inches does seem correct for the width.
Once it was beyond 50" since there are no wheel 'bumps' in the bed, I was happy with the width. And I think the length is enough for my motorcycle...