Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
The removal of the steering wheel will have to take place over time. Just trying to imagine it is a bit scary to me, even if the functionality was still there. I’ve lived my entire life with a friggen steering wheel in the car, and then suddenly nothing? Culture shock!
Autopilot was somewhat scary the first few times I used it but after about week it was something I enjoyed.
Sponsored

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
The yoke wheel seems to be the single most complained about part of the CT by people who intend to buy the truck so there is no way Tesla will keep it, even if Musk did originally want it for production. It's gonna be hard enough to get the camera side mirrors in the final version, much less the cool, but pointless yoke wheel.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
The removal of the steering wheel will have to take place over time. Just trying to imagine it is a bit scary to me, even if the functionality was still there. I’ve lived my entire life with a friggen steering wheel in the car, and then suddenly nothing? Culture shock!
I feel like this is going to be similar to a clutch. As soon as I get in a vehicle and there's no clutch I have a mini panic attack then immediately feel disappointed.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would really appreciate a full steering wheel. More control in driving situations. let’s have less of this immature design flaws... I mean ground breaking stuff.

Reactions: CTM

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I don't think it’ll happen in the Cybertruck, but I’d like to see a joystick in the center console.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I doubt that it will come with a yoke. From what I am told the M3 (or Y) prototype had a yoke as well. If it is to be I will dig it. People are just so resistant to change.

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the Cybertruck will probably have a steering wheel that resembles the one in the Corvette C8. It won't be a yoke, but it may not be totally round in shape.

2020-zerv-pre-reveal-c8-1562954683.jpg
this design appears to offer the 6 o’clock handhold, and that is fine with me. I fully agree with what the OP has explained, I want to hold onto the bottom of the wheel while my other hand is free to do other things. I was the one who posted the previous steering wheel post a few months ago.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
To be street legal a manufacturer cannot have a “butterfly” shaped steering wheel or a fighter jet like joystick. A vehicle must have a circular wheel at least 13 inches along its outside diameter.

I am confident the Tesla designers won’t disappoint us with the production steering wheel. It needs to be match the brutalist theme of the exterior. I can’t wait to see what they reveal.

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I expect it to be like my P100D wheel, only larger

Tesla Cybertruck full steering wheel? 69D5FE05-5A18-4C98-8C49-930E43106674

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
I would like to see a Joystick style controller, like one used in many aircraft. Sandy Munro showed a concept he proposed years ago.
A 'Joystick" would make driving so much easier: Forward/Reverse with speed and braking and then simply left/right. Have it easily moveable to use either with left or right hand as conditions or long distance relief may suggest.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hmmm. A steering wheel is required to be street legal if the vehicle is steered by linkage / assisted linkage... Not sure a wheel is required if it is a drive by wire system... If the system is speed sensitive steering then it is possible that the yoke steering never goes beyond 180 degrees....

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I would like to see a Joystick style controller, like one used in many aircraft. Sandy Munro showed a concept he proposed years ago.
And if the driver has no Right Hand what's next doc. That's why the round steering wheel suites the majority of drivers.

One co-worker has no right arm, (shark bite) and another friend of mine has severe RA (Rumatoid Arthritus) and her hands are not the greatest due to joint degeneration but she can still drive her modified Honda Minivan because of the shape of the wheel, it's a lifesaver. Eventually, she may be a good candidate for FSD. It will extend her independence.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
And if the driver has no Right Hand what's next doc. That's why the round steering wheel suites the majority of drivers.

One co-worker has no right arm, (shark bite) and another friend of mine has severe RA (Rumatoid Arthritus) and her hands are not the greatest due to joint degeneration but she can still drive her modified Honda Minivan because of the shape of the wheel, it's a lifesaver. Eventually, she may be a good candidate for FSD. It will extend her independence.
Joy stick in the middle could be used by right or left handed people, depending on where you sit.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Hmmm. A steering wheel is required to be street legal if the vehicle is steered by linkage / assisted linkage... Not sure a wheel is required if it is a drive by wire system... If the system is speed sensitive steering then it is possible that the yoke steering never goes beyond 180 degrees....
Is the CT drive by wire?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
After all this talk I decided to see what the regulations are. Is it NHTSA 203? Did you all know that the NHTSA has issued an NPRM on changing requirements for self-driving cars?
Sponsored