How long will it take before used preowned Cybertrucks are available to buy?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’ve ordered a tri-motor and a dual motor. Both in the 81,xxxx order #. Planning to purchase both and keep the one I prefer. I’ll then sell the other which will have extremely low miles for the same as I paid. But NO test drives!
Assuming that full self driving is a reality by then, why not keep both? Use the one you prefer and the other one you can use as a paid Robo taxi. Then you can have somebody else make your payments.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Honestly I don't know who buys used Teslas. They hold their value so well that doesn't make sense to buy used.
Yes. But, many people can't afford the new version. So they buy used.

My spouse bought me my 5-year-old Zero for half what the new one cost; and spouse's new (but a year old) Ducati only cost about 20% more than she paid cash for the used bike. :/

I plan to sell my Cybertruck when the smaller version comes out.

-Crissa

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
Same for me, only a smaller one can decide me to sell it

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Consumer demand will keep resale prices high for the first three years or so. If the Cybertruck were manufactured by another car company you would be paying ADM (added dealer markup) to purchase a new one.

AC9140DF-A87B-4722-969A-037C68CDA771.jpeg
Those added markups are too comical to believe, if you hadn't taken the picture I wouldn't believe it, Phantom footprints!?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Honestly I don't know who buys used Teslas. They hold their value so well that doesn't make sense to buy used. Other than not wanting to wait potentially years for something like the Cybertruck to catch up to demand. Of course.
I have several friends that bought used Teslas and they love them. Three of them were Model Ss and they could not afford (or didn't want to) a new one. So they bought them at 3 years. I am assuming that they like the features on the S more than the 3 or Y which they could have gotten new for the same price.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Those added markups are too comical to believe, if you hadn't taken the picture I wouldn't believe it, Phantom footprints!?
Phantom footprints is an added security feature that is harder to remove than a standard VIN. However if you get this done at a shop, it's probably half the price than what that picture was showing or even less. Dealerships have been found to be quite problematic a lot of the time and personally I choose not to trust them, even though i'm sure there are some good ones out there.

I like how Tesla sells their cars since they don't have dealerships that you have to be a negotiator just to get a fair price. Also with Tesla, they have their maintenance schedule; whereas a dealership might have a dealership maintenance schedule that had a lot more service than what is actually required. I was getting some new rims put on at a dealership for my winter tires and they told me my brakes were overdue for being changed, they even told me that they were nearly worn down to the metal. They tried to show me and there was easily more than 50% life left on my brakes since i do 90% of my driving in my car on highways.

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
Assuming that full self driving is a reality by then, why not keep both? Use the one you prefer and the other one you can use as a paid Robo taxi. Then you can have somebody else make your payments.
I appreciate your perspective. It makes sense however I am (at 61) fortunate to have had a successful career and money will not be a factor in my Cybertruck purchases. For the sake of promoting Tesla and the cybertruck I like the idea of renting one out assuming the liability can be delegated although it really comes down to my concern that the rental will be treated terribly and abused hard by people who want without care to see what it can do. I'm hard on my vehicles but I cringe at thinking what could/would be done by somebody hellbent on trashing it!

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I appreciate your perspective. It makes sense however I am (at 61) fortunate to have had a successful career and money will not be a factor in my Cybertruck purchases. For the sake of promoting Tesla and the cybertruck I like the idea of renting one out assuming the liability can be delegated although it really comes down to my concern that the rental will be treated terribly and abused hard by people who want without care to see what it can do. I'm hard on my vehicles but I cringe at thinking what could/would be done by somebody hellbent on trashing it!
The interesting thing here is that from what I understand when your vehicle is entered into the taxi fleet, everything that happens to the vehicle when it is out is recorded, cameras (interior/exterior), sensors, acceleration location, etc. Should someone trash your investment or use it for unlawful activities it would be very hard for them to deny it. I imagine the fine print in the taxi app would make that all well known i.e. 'your trip today will be recorded for quality assurance '.

That said it is a truck and the use case would likely be on the rougher side, ie yard waste, fire wood hauling, etc.

Last edited:

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
Good point about everything being recorded. Except when some A*hole doesn't care! Where I live I'm mostly concerned about it being rented by the off-roading hotheads who push limits with rigs and terrain. They'll want to prove that their jeeps or lifted trucks etc. can beat Cybertruck.

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Phantom Footprints is anti-theft labeling...

“Exclusively designed by 3M for IAS, Invisible Phantom Footprints protects vehicles on six different areas with permanent, tamper-resistant labels. These labels are impossible to remove intact. When an attempt is made to remove one, a phantom image of the unique registered vehicle code number is left on the vehicle.“

C1083C01-FABF-4BAB-8F30-B3AC9F9BCA81.jpeg
That's funny. I work for a car warranty company... And we charge dealerships $100 for a set of 100 of these stickers (6 stickers per set). 3M probably charges slightly more, but it can't be that much more.

Jobenw88

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I'm willing to sell mine (reservation #5394) if you pay me double the price.
How did you get a reservation number I just got a random order number
Sponsored