Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
So is this another clear Acrylic based coating application?
Sponsored

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
The smell is strong during application, but once ProtectaClear dries, there is no smell and it does not leach into the environment.
Hello thank you for sharing info on your material. I have a few questions. Is this an organic based coating? If so and it is scratched through, would that not possibly allow the now exposed area act as a concentrated anode, and possibly lead to accelerated galvanic action? How does your material mitigate this? Thank you for your insight and offering a possible solution to finger prints. Any insights on how to best apply on vertical surfaces welcomed.

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Call me skeptical. If it seems too good to be true…
I know, we get this all the time! Metal restoration experts who have been doing it for 30+ years being very skeptical of the qualities we preach. But then they try it or come out and work with us and are blown away by the results and longevity. Check out our website and google reviews.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I have, but I’m am a skeptic by nature.

If others members post positive results I plan on giving it a shot after my CT arrives. This appears to be the perfect answer for those that don’t plan on wrapping their CT like myself.

I plan on keeping my alien planet exploration vehicle stay original as the Tesla designers intended😁

54CC7976-4393-40BA-9EBB-0B54AF88C9FD.jpeg

Last edited:

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Looks awesome!! May just save me at least from a $1300 DIY wrap!

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
So is this another clear Acrylic based coating application?
Nope, not acrylic. Acrylics are hard and brittle. Lacquers yellow and chip. Our coatings are all blends of polymer resins in a solvent base. They are thin, lightweight coatings that flex with metal as it expands and contracts with heat. We have four different coatings that are similar in that composition but use different resins and additives.

Everbrite™ has strong UV blockers, anti-oxidants and corrosion inhibitors.
ProtectaClear® (which is best for Cybertrucks) is very thin, but incredibly durable and contains strong corrosion inhibitors.
CrobialCoat®, which is ProtectaClear with Microban anti-microbial additive. All the same attributes but stops the growth of microbes.
Equipcoat® is similar to Everbrite but has VERY strong corrosion inhibitors. It is used for heavy equipment and environments that create strong corrosion. CAT did a 5 year test with Equipcoat and offer it as an add on when new equipment is purchased.

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
I have, but I’m am a skeptic by nature.

If others members post positive results I plan on giving it a shot after my CT arrives. This appears to be the perfect answer for those that don’t plan on wrapping their CT like myself.
Love the crawling pic. How does it do? I heard it was pretty stiff.

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Hello thank you for sharing info on your material. I have a few questions. Is this an organic based coating? If so and it is scratched through, would that not possibly allow the now exposed area act as a concentrated anode, and possibly lead to accelerated galvanic action? How does your material mitigate this? Thank you for your insight and offering a possible solution to finger prints. Any insights on how to best apply on vertical surfaces welcomed.
Thanks for the great question! ProtectaClear and all of our coatings are all blends of polymer resins in a solvent base. They are thin, lightweight coatings that flex with metal as it expands and contracts with heat. If there is a scratch through the coating, there could be corrosion in that area, simply because there is no longer protection. However, there is nothing in the coating that would cause additional corrosion. In fact, our coatings are used in the aerospace industry to combat galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

As for applying on vertical surfaces, you simply wipe on the coating with the applicator provided with each order. You may get drips or sags, but they are easily wiped out while the coating is still wet, or with an additional coat. ProtectaClear self-levels as it dries, so small bubbles, or wipe marks disappear. It is also self-annealing so additional coats, even years later, blend with the original coat to create a stronger layer of protection.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I know, we get this all the time! Metal restoration experts who have been doing it for 30+ years being very skeptical of the qualities we preach. But then they try it or come out and work with us and are blown away by the results and longevity. Check out our website and google reviews.
Jackie, I must say you have been incredibly helpful and patient. Thank you for your contributions.

Can you say if any Delorean owners are using ProtectaClear? My search have not turned up any. Not saying this means anything in particular but just curious if other automotive outside uses are being done.

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
Thanks for the great question! ProtectaClear and all of our coatings are all blends of polymer resins in a solvent base. They are thin, lightweight coatings that flex with metal as it expands and contracts with heat. If there is a scratch through the coating, there could be corrosion in that area, simply because there is no longer protection. However, there is nothing in the coating that would cause additional corrosion. In fact, our coatings are used in the aerospace industry to combat galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

As for applying on vertical surfaces, you simply wipe on the coating with the applicator provided with each order. You may get drips or sags, but they are easily wiped out while the coating is still wet, or with an additional coat. ProtectaClear self-levels as it dries, so small bubbles, or wipe marks disappear. It is also self-annealing so additional coats, even years later, blend with the original coat to create a stronger layer of protection.
Glad to hear that your material is used in the aerospace industry. The concentrated anode issue has nothing to do with your material rather just a matter of galvanic action in exposed concentrated areas. How does your material compare to let’s say Zinc Chromate for dissimilar metal protection ? I realize it is way nicer in that it is clear and most likely less neurotoxic than Zinc Chromate. Is your material an acrylic resin, or what specific resin type? Epoxy? Polyurethane? I take material science very seriously as a dentist and would like to know what it is that I would be applying. Thank you for the kindness of your consideration of my questions.
Cheers

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Thank you Scott! This Cybertruck is like no other (since the Delorean) and metal protection is our passion. So it is exciting to get involved at the beginning of a huge roll out like this.

We ask each customer what their project is specifically so we can ensure they order the appropriate product for their project. We haven't seen anyone mention a Delorean yet. But maybe this will open that window as well!

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Ha
Glad to hear that your material is used in the aerospace industry. The concentrated anode issue has nothing to do with your material rather just a matter of galvanic action in exposed concentrated areas. How does your material compare to let’s say Zinc Chromate for dissimilar metal protection ? I realize it is way nicer in that it is clear and most likely less neurotoxic than Zinc Chromate. Is your material an acrylic resin, or what specific resin type? Epoxy? Polyurethane? I take material science very seriously as a dentist and would like to know what it is that I would be applying. Thank you for the kindness of your consideration of my questions.
Cheers
LOL, yes, it is not at all neurotoxic! In fact, we manufacture these coatings in California and none of them require the Prop 65 warning as none of them contain any carcinogens. All of our coatings are a blend of thermoplastic resins. The coatings are barrier coatings, they simply block the interactions of the other metals.

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
Ha

LOL, yes, it is not at all neurotoxic! In fact, we manufacture these coatings in California and none of them require the Prop 65 warning as none of them contain any carcinogens. All of our coatings are a blend of thermoplastic resins. The coatings are barrier coatings, they simply block the interactions of the other metals.
Ok so a blend of PvC, Polyamide, Polyethylene etc….. so what is the temp of melting of the thermoplastic status post cure that would be of concern? How hot can it get before it is at its transition to tacky etc or damaging it? Thank you!! Cheers

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
You live not far from Sacramento, so you are more than likely familiar with Quick Quack Car Wash. You said “Touchless” car washes should be fine. I wonder if it would hold up to Quick Quack?

If this works advertised and it can go thru something like Quick Quack I am all in. I live in the SF Bay and I am awaiting my VIN assignment.
Sponsored