Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
how do I do that? can someone please tell me.
Hi Scot, you need to go to Tesla.com and log in to your account, a link in the top right of their page. That should bring up your page that has your Cybertruck order. Click on manage. That brings up the page with your configuration. Under learn more, click on the link to edit design. on this last page it shows features. Select Full Self Driving than click on the button edit desgn.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I've heard conflicting info and conjecture, does anyone know...does FSD stay with the driver or with the vehicle?
Makes a big difference:
  1. If stays with vehicle. It is a non depreciating, gaining value option.
  2. If it stays with driver then I've got a chauffer for the rest of my days (as long as I keep buying Teslas)
  3. If tied to buyer and the one vehicle...I'd have to think hard about buying.

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I've heard conflicting info and conjecture, does anyone know...does FSD stay with the driver or with the vehicle?
Makes a big difference:
  1. If stays with vehicle. It is a non depreciating, gaining value option.
  2. If it stays with driver then I've got a chauffer for the rest of my days (as long as I keep buying Teslas)
  3. If tied to buyer and the one vehicle...I'd have to think hard about buying.

As of right now, FSD stays with the car.

Elon did say he would consider FSD staying with the owner. I can't recall if that was via a Tweet, Battery Day or the Earnings report.

I think the issue is that people paid for FSD, then traded or sold the car, BUT the monies paid for FSD where not realized in trade-in values. Even cars traded back to Tesla on a new Tesla did not see the cost of FSD reflected in the value.

My opinion: A Tesla with FSD won't be worth the trade or resale value of a base Tesla, PLUS the cost of the FSD option. A dealer would NEVER do that, and it's been seen that even Tesla isn't doing that. So, Tesla makes out by selling FSD at full cost to the same repeat Tesla buyer. Tesla Wins.
If the FSD stays with the owner, and the owner buys another Tesla, that traded Tesla is worth the base value. The next buyer is very unlikely to buy the FSD for an additional $10k. If they can't finance it with the car, it isn't likely to happen. This is where "renting FSD" will come in. Subscription based FSD will be very popular in my opinion.

I foresee FSDAaS (Full Self Driving As a Subscription) as the only option in the coming years.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As of right now, FSD stays with the car.

Elon did say he would consider FSD staying with the owner. I can't recall if that was via a Tweet, Battery Day or the Earnings report.

I think the issue is that people paid for FSD, then traded or sold the car, BUT the monies paid for FSD where not realized in trade-in values. Even cars traded back to Tesla on a new Tesla did not see the cost of FSD reflected in the value.

My opinion: A Tesla with FSD won't be worth the trade or resale value of a base Tesla, PLUS the cost of the FSD option. A dealer would NEVER do that, and it's been seen that even Tesla isn't doing that. So, Tesla makes out by selling FSD at full cost to the same repeat Tesla buyer. Tesla Wins.
If the FSD stays with the owner, and the owner buys another Tesla, that traded Tesla is worth the base value. The next buyer is very unlikely to buy the FSD for an additional $10k. If they can't finance it with the car, it isn't likely to happen. This is where "renting FSD" will come in. Subscription based FSD will be very popular in my opinion.

I foresee FSDAaS (Full Self Driving As a Subscription) as the only option in the coming years.
In the short term I tend to agree. Longer term though, I believe that FSD will become mandated as a requirement for driving on normal roads and highways because it will become much safer than having human drivers. Once that happens, FSD just becomes another feature of the vehicle similar to seat belts and airbags. In fact if FSD gets good enough and mandated, I can imagine a day when seatbelts and airbags are no longer required.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dear lord.... I just updated mine. I can always remove it. I have it for my Model 3 and it isn't worth it... but I'm hopeful.
I really hope I didn't move my location in the Q. Upgraded from dual to triple.
May Musk have mercy on my soul.
My understanding is that it doesn’t change your reservation number.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In the short term I tend to agree. Longer term though, I believe that FSD will become mandated as a requirement for driving on normal roads and highways because it will become much safer than having human drivers. Once that happens, FSD just becomes another feature of the vehicle similar to seat belts and airbags. In fact if FSD gets good enough and mandated, I can imagine a day when seatbelts and airbags are no longer required.
kudos to the optimism but there is more to safety systems than the driver. You have mechanical breakage (IE Tire going flat/coming off, mechanical breaks of the steering linkage, etc), weather, and other events (say earthquakes, floods, fire) that the safety systems will still be needed for. FSD will potentially reduce many common accidents, but will never prevent them all.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
kudos to the optimism but there is more to safety systems than the driver. You have mechanical breakage (IE Tire going flat/coming off, mechanical breaks of the steering linkage, etc), weather, and other events (say earthquakes, floods, fire) that the safety systems will still be needed for. FSD will potentially reduce many common accidents, but will never prevent them all.
True that. But FSD is only trying to replace the driver.

All things being equal a human driver vs FSD on the same Tesla vehicle will have the exact same maintenance, breakage, weather, etc.

As far as I know, EM hasn't started building general maintenance/repair robots yet. Though it would be interesting to have a Tesla transformer robot come drive out to my house for periodic general maintenance on all my Tesla vehicles. And perhaps someday Tesla will be big enough to implement a weather manipulator.

If you were referring to the eventual drop of the requirement for seat belts and airbags, there are already situations where these are not required to be used. School busses, public transportation, etc. Possibly even things like stretch limos though I'm guessing that is just a case of what the cops don't see, they don't ticket.

The safety systems are not required because they will save all lives. Only because they will significantly lower the financial costs of dealing with lives lost or injured in the normal course of driving. Once the incidence of accidents becomes negligible, the requirements for safety equipment will be dropped because the cost of the equipment will far outweigh the cost to human life and hospital reimbursements. The law is only looking at these things as a financial cost or pressure from outside human groups. If the cost issues are essentially gone, and the human pressures are relieved because there are not enough actual accidents, the laws will change to get rid of the extraneous costs.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
True that. But FSD is only trying to replace the driver.

All things being equal a human driver vs FSD on the same Tesla vehicle will have the exact same maintenance, breakage, weather, etc.

As far as I know, EM hasn't started building general maintenance/repair robots yet. Though it would be interesting to have a Tesla transformer robot come drive out to my house for periodic general maintenance on all my Tesla vehicles. And perhaps someday Tesla will be big enough to implement a weather manipulator.

If you were referring to the eventual drop of the requirement for seat belts and airbags, there are already situations where these are not required to be used. School busses, public transportation, etc. Possibly even things like stretch limos though I'm guessing that is just a case of what the cops don't see, they don't ticket.

The safety systems are not required because they will save all lives. Only because they will significantly lower the financial costs of dealing with lives lost or injured in the normal course of driving. Once the incidence of accidents becomes negligible, the requirements for safety equipment will be dropped because the cost of the equipment will far outweigh the cost to human life and hospital reimbursements. The law is only looking at these things as a financial cost or pressure from outside human groups. If the cost issues are essentially gone, and the human pressures are relieved because there are not enough actual accidents, the laws will change to get rid of the extraneous costs.
I would like to point out the school bus and city buses are not required to have seat belts due to seat belt testing, more injuries occurred when a lap belt is used. If you look at the construction of the seating system they could only install lap belts and not shoulder belts that would of made the difference.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Is It worth $10k?! Bejesus, that's 1/4 the cost of the base. i guess it would be to me, only if i can make money from it.

its a shame tesla is doing what I consider skeevy things, like raising prices on something with no date on when the product will be out.
imagine getting the model S is 2015 with fsd, paying the 6k or whatever it was. and 6 years later not being able to have the product you were told was a year away.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Is It worth $10k?! Bejesus, that's 1/4 the cost of the base. i guess it would be to me, only if i can make money from it.

its a shame tesla is doing what I consider skeevy things, like raising prices on something with no date on when the product will be out.
imagine getting the model S is 2015 with fsd, paying the 6k or whatever it was. and 6 years later not being able to have the product you were told was a year away.
I agree that EM has been overly optimistic with his estimates of when FSD would be ready. But if you think 10K is expensive just wait till FSD is declared to be fully working and legal to use while sleeping. I think I saw a tweet or something from EM saying that fully complete FSD was a 100k product. Not saying that it will be 100k exactly but I fully expect that the price is going to keep rising at each new milestone till it is fully done. If the price gets to 100k then my current 8k price will look very reasonable. And if I can take it with me to my future Tesla vehicles all the better because if the full price is 100k, I fear that all the people wanting to pay the monthly price are going to be loath to pay whatever EM comes up with as an equally valuable subscription price.

But hey, we have 1 to 2 more years till our CT's will even be ready so we will just have to see what happens with FSD in the meantime.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i mean he is correct about FSD lvl 4 or 5 being worth TONS of money. but not really to you or me....to lyft and uber absolutely.

I still would have to rely on a separate company/ service to make use of the FSD. for anything other then my own use, which for me would just be shits and giggles. driving is easy and enjoyable most of the time.

and knowing Tesla, if uber and lyft allowed for FSD cars on their platform, they would want a cut or outright disallow it. hard to say right now though

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’ve been thinking of getting a Model Y and driving it until the CT is available, but I would not do it unless the FSD is transferrable to my CT (which I ordered with FSD). Tesla this loses a sale of a vehicle, and I agree with whoever said that as the FSD prices go up the number of people buying it will go down, and probably exponentially. It is hard to imagine that is what @Elon is intending so he better think about and implement a new FSD strategy and quick.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Reason #3 - My wife would be a nervous freaking wreck sitting in the passenger side. She already freaks out how I drive, let alone a computer driving her...lol.
I asked my wife if she would comment on the computer's driving as much as she does mine. I got a 'look' and that stopped the conversation about FSD for the day.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
yes.... just like every other software made by everyone else.
If this was someone else, how many different tiers or level to the software would there be?
It would not be the 2 to 3 Tesla has had for its driving assistance software.
Stops lights would have been an option, right turns would be an option, left turns would be an option, the number of occupants would be different options... And distance and speed would be different options.

Think about some of the software out there with micro-transactions and requiring a matrix of the features to figure out what level has what options...

So, no, I do not think Tesla is nickel and dime charging. Instead it is the opposite, it is just a few options and that is it.

I mean, they do not even charge per game or app available...

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Having been in a few accidents, some of them totaling the car and I was injured... $10k is less than the medical bills.
Sponsored