How big of a price increase would you tolerate?

How big a price increase would you tolerate and still buy a Cybertruck?

• 30% - CT1 - $52,000, CT2 - $65,000, CT3 - $91,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOAR!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Speaking generally, average inflation historically has been 2-3% a year. It has been lower, almost flat in the past 13 years. We are due for inflationary period. That means costs of everything goes up. But I put my money in the hat already. I would feel cheated if they took those prices away from me.
Tesla is a company with a lot of smart people running the show. They know what posting prices and accepting money implies, they (should) know how to manage costs and how to hedge against short term inflation.

This is after all a company which is growing and increasing margins in this current market which is making the companies who have been around for 100 years shut factories for weeks at a time and have been losing double digit sales.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
It looks like I am the only member who is willing to accept 50% increase...
The only chucklehead willing to take more punishment then me. Finally, we meet.

I ran into the wall of diminishing return. When it hits the $90k+ mark I feel like the risk of buyers remorse would be enough to make me uncomfortable to the point where it's guaranteed to happen.

The recipe for disaster is:
excessive anticipation + paying more than I think I should be for what it is + then having it not meet an expectation or having an issue.

The nightmare scenario is I get the CT, pay $90k, we go on a road trip and something dumb goes wrong with it. I can close my eyes and imagine the "You just had to get this thing..." speech from my wife. Ugh.. By wanting a CT this badly I'm already breaking an unwritten rule they taught me in flight school, never fly the alpha model of anything.

So, my decision point is at $89k.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Since it looks like the incentive tops off at $74,000 that doesn’t leave a lot of room for futzing with options or price increases and keeping the 500 mile range.
You forgot to add a price reduction option.
I’m pretty sure anyone who would happily fork over full price will be more than happy to pay less than full price.

Incentives mean a $4000 price increase will mean I pay $4000 less than I’d originally budgeted, but a $5000 price increase would still be a $5000 increase. Hopefully solar plus whatever tires I want cost less than $4000.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Since it looks like the incentive tops off at $74,000 that doesn’t leave a lot of room for futzing with options or price increases and keeping the 500 mile range.

I’m pretty sure anyone who would happily fork over full price will be more than happy to pay less than full price.

Incentives mean a $4000 price increase will mean I pay $4000 less than I’d originally budgeted, but a $5000 price increase would still be a $5000 increase. Hopefully solar plus whatever tires I want cost less than $4000.
I will get some type of deal from Tesla. Mark my words. Maybe just a free pen but, I will get it!

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So, my decision point is at $89k.
I bought my house from my parents and paid on that loan for about 20 years. Our mortgage was about $1085/ month. That’s the biggest single payment I’ve had in my life. We own this house free and clear so it’s unlikely we’ll ever have another house payment. (A combination of luck, stubbornness, and being frugal)

I’ll be damned if the payments on a truck will push that maximum up. I do have a truck fund, but unless the markets truly bless me, that’s not going to nearly pay this off.

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't have alot of price flexibility.

I don't believe they'll raise the price on existing reservations.

-Crissa
when you say existing reservations, what do you mean?....where is the line drawn? I think there are well over 800k reservations, so which ones get increases?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
when you say existing reservations, what do you mean?....where is the line drawn? I think there are well over 800k reservations, so which ones get increases?
When they changed the reservation to no longer selecting the model.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla should discount the price for all reservation numbers below 500,000 due to anxious waiting.

Take that Tesla employees trying to convince us on a price hike. I mean, I’ll pay it but I want a free pen. Fear my negotiation skills.
free supercharging for life.........I would consider that if we have price increase

Mellored

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 -> Cybertruck Tri motor
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Honestly, it depends on how my Tesla stock does.

If the stock doubles, I will be willing to pay double.
If the stock drops, I will probably have to cancel my order.
Sponsored