The sweet sound of an engine

Doggiewumpus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor CT reservation
Country flag
The reason that people like the sound of a V8 is because they associate it with speed and fun driving. There’s nothing inherently pleasant about that noise. If your refrigerator made that noise you’d be on the phone with the appliance repair company.

If people are young, they’ll quickly associate speed and fun driving with the hum of an electric motor. If they’re old or have a neophobia personality they probably never will. I’m sure when cars first came out some people always missed the smell of horse poop and the sound of clomping hooves and others quickly learned to love cars.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Or turn the CT into Grand Theft Auto. Set the sound into ice cream truck music so the kids will come out into the streets to get run over.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
My wife's Model 3 is a 2018, I don't think the backing sound came until 2020?
Agreed my wife's has a 2019 and all you really hear is gravel under the tires. No external speaker was installed. Not much of an issue, sometimes you just need to be patient for those not paying attention.
That said when you take off there is a very faint whine that may notify those around but by then you're gone!
I find it very interesting that when stomping on it there's no ruckus. In a ICE you'd make all kinds off noise, drawing attention to your exuberant display of lead footedness. In the M3 it's more of a double take, 'wasn't that car just in front off me... how'd it get over there?'

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
My wife's Model 3 is a 2018, I don't think the backing sound came until 2020?
You are correct it would not have it. My friend got his Model 3 earlier this year and it has it. Audible forward and reverse.. different sounds, reverse seems louder. The cybertruck will make noise.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
If the new 2021 Bronco I had a good old V-8 engine option with 3-pedals it MAY have swayed me a away from a Cybertruck. But that’s a BIG maybe.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I hope Tesla starts to come up with a way to modify the sound being emitted. Otherwise I may have to rig something up myself, I love the way the pod racers in Star Wars sound!

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I would entertain the option if Tesla had some serious (maybe Bose outdoor/commercial) speakers integrated facing down under the rear fascia or bumper. Selectable options could activate sounds including a realistic loud V8 rumble with bass idling, or even select engines starting, revving, or whatever. Would be basically another 'party' trick, but I think it would turn heads on occasion while also being a sort of cool 'nod' to V8 engines and race cars from the previous era.

Last edited:

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
There's a new, extremely loud, Mustang in my neighborhood that I can't wait to drag race at the nearby location.

He will probably spin-out sideways into the ditch.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I have read that some jurisdictions around the world (India?) are requiring a noisemaker on electric vehicles when they travel under 25MPH. This projects outside - not inside the vehicle. Not sure exactly what the reason is... to protect blind pedestrians?
Over 25 MPH, the tires slapping pavement becomes much louder and the noisemaker is not needed. Even with ICE, most of the noise at a highway is created by tires, not engines.

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I know that a lot of gear heads love the loud sounds of a tuned ICE. In one of the new member threads I also saw someone mention that:

Personally, I do like the sound but under normal circumstances I actually prefer the relative silence of BEVs.

I really like the idea of being able to drive into the neighborhood at night without waking up the neighborhood. Or to drive through the backwoods and not scare off the wildlife.

But there are even tail pipe modifications people fo to “enhance” the sound of their vehicles.

Are you going to miss the sound of your ICE vehicle? Are you excited by the silence of BEVs? Are you going to enhance your CT to add some sound?

A while back I was thinking it would be cool to have the sounds of horse hoofs on cobblestone that would go from walking to galloping as the speed of the vehicle changed.

And I remember EM making some comment about enhancing BEVs with some jazz music so that blind people would know you were coming.

Anyway, what do y’all want?
Yeah, a good ol' V8's nostalgic, but to really bring it home have it firing on 7/8 just to bring us back to earth!

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I have read that some jurisdictions around the world (India?) are requiring a noisemaker on electric vehicles when they travel under 25MPH. This projects outside - not inside the vehicle. Not sure exactly what the reason is... to protect blind pedestrians?
Over 25 MPH, the tires slapping pavement becomes much louder and the noisemaker is not needed. Even with ICE, most of the noise at a highway is created by tires, not engines.
Like the ringer bells on kids' bikes with training wheels ought to work, or playing cards with clothes pins on wheel spokes! LOL!

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Like the ringer bells on kids' bikes with training wheels ought to work, or playing cards with clothes pins on wheel spokes! LOL!
But many blind pedestrians are also deaf too. What then? Blast a puff of cold air on them? Survival of the fittest?
Sponsored