Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350 Tesla 3
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Hopefully none of these will lose their bumper in the rain. I’m about number 35000 in line, I hope I get one in 2022. I certainly wouldn’t take the first batch given Tesla‘s track record. They also Just did away with their 7 day return policy. You’d have to be real brave, rich and or stupid to take a CT in 2021.
Well I’m not stupid or rich so I guess!! I’ll take mine tomorrow thanks,own a model 3 LR and it’s awesome. CT will be too. I ain’t afraid of A little teething pain!
Sponsored

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Where did this come from? AFAIK there is no such spec that requires a specific material be used. ...
They specify no damage to the target bar; so you need a surface with give. Hence having plastic or rubber coatings. They don't require the coating, they require the function the coating gives.

And yes, this doesn't apply to trucks, but people are pretty used to scratchless bumpers in non-commercial vehicles.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
All I see is a hole. I can't tell if it's a plastic hole or a metal hole. Of course it only makes sense that the bumper be made of something that yields. Much less stressful to the car and whatever it hit.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
They specify no damage to the target bar; so you need a surface with give. Hence having plastic or rubber coatings. They don't require the coating, they require the function the coating gives.

And yes, this doesn't apply to trucks, but people are pretty used to scratchless bumpers in non-commercial vehicles.

-Crissa
It states " prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment " not damage to the bumper. Damage is acceptable plastic is NOT required.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It states " prevent ...
...That there are multiple levels of 'no damage' and the current standard says no damage to the bumper itself except a minor dent. But consumers don't like minor dents, these two combined to result in bumpers with plastic or rubber coverings.

-Crissa

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
...That there are multiple levels of 'no damage' and the current standard says no damage to the bumper itself except a minor dent. But consumers don't like minor dents, these two combined to result in bumpers with plastic or rubber coverings.

-Crissa
Please link to your source.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Section six, paragraph 2.

The reason they added the plastic strip to the '73 Nova was to meet this standard. It's why the bumper changed so frequently in that decade as they worked to meet the new standards. And for better or worse, plastic won out with its resilience.

-Crissa
No where on that brief does it state what type of material needs to be used to achieve whatever they claim "no damage" to mean.

Remember we're on this topic because you stated plastic is a requirement for bumpers, because of the "no damage" requirement.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Tell that to M3 owners.
I have an '18 M3, driven through plenty of rain and snow and my rear bumper is still on. Guess mine was a dud if you believe the defect affects all M3's in that age range. I know Tesla admitted to this issue recently, but that doesn't mean every single M3 from these year ranges needs to be generalized as having the problem.

If you really want to nitpick, you can just say "well what about your airbag?!" to every GM vehicle owner over the last 10 years. That's definitely a safety issue as well that took years for the airbag manufacturer to admit to. Oh, and the list of potentially affected cars keeps growing by the way.

Every car has problems, Tesla's are just highlighted and exaggerated to the extreme.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Hopefully none of these will lose their bumper in the rain. I’m about number 35000 in line, I hope I get one in 2022. I certainly wouldn’t take the first batch given Tesla‘s track record. They also Just did away with their 7 day return policy. You’d have to be real brave, rich and or stupid to take a CT in 2021.
From what I have read, it doesn't matter where in line you are, whether 70,000 +/- or 700,000. Deliveries will start in batches based on proximity to Austin and progress based on where you fall in the radius. If #1 is in Maine or Alaska, they could be last to get theirs. Forget Hawaii, they'll find out how long they can float!

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
From what I have read, it doesn't matter where in line you are, whether 70,000 +/- or 700,000. Deliveries will start in batches based on proximity to Austin and progress based on where you fall in the radius. If #1 is in Maine or Alaska, they could be last to get theirs. Forget Hawaii, they'll find out how long they can float!
i dont believe that's true.... take a look at this crowd sourced document of MY owners, scroll to the bottom

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TSLA is up for the week. It's still on the high side as long as it's over 100/share. And I doubt it'll even go below 300 in the next three years.

-Crissa
Sponsored