Is Rivian R1T a better work truck than Cybertruck?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Sandy Munro thinks Rivian will be a better work truck than Cybertruck.

Rivian R1T is better competitor to F-150/250 series than Cybertruck.

Tesla? Rivian? Sandy's Thoughts on Cybertruck and Electric Trucks
Sandy Munro sits down with us to talk about the advantages of Tesla's Cybertruck and Rivian's R1T pickup versus traditional ICE pickups
Grid Connections
Nov 9, 2020

-------

I think Rivian R1T will not be as good a work truck as Cybertruck
Rivian R1T
Price too high
Shorter range
Lower payload
Lower towing
Cargo bed too short (54 in/4.5ft) - Cybertruck is 6.5ft, Shortest Ford F-150 bed 5.5ft
Less Secure cargo bed storage
Rivian can only seat 5-passengers - Cybertruck can seat 6 workers/passengers
No 5th wheel support (All F-150/250 series can do. With mods Cybertruck too?)
Fragile body - No stainless steel skin like Cybertruck

(edited post after good input from ajdelange )

Rivian does not have
AC outlets for power tools & welders
Air compressor for power tools, cleaning, inflating
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
His mind seemed to be kind of wandering in this video. He likes the things about the CT that someone in the market segment Rivian is targeting would like (hunting, ac outlets for pancakes, the ability to sleep in it in the great out doors). The Rivian will do those things too. It will accept some sort of camper top. It has outlets and, presumably, an electric heater too.

But the CT has more AC (enough for welders and compressors), a longer bed and a bigger battery, tows more and has a bigger payload. It is definitely more suited as a work truck and is marketed in such a way as to include that segment without precluding the "adventure" market. The Rivian is not marketed in such a way as to include the working man (when he is working at any rate).

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
His mind seemed to be kind of wandering in this video. He likes the things about the CT that someone in the market segment Rivian is targeting would like (hunting, ac outlets for pancakes, the ability to sleep in it in the great out doors). The Rivian will do those things too. It will accept some sort of camper top. It has outlets and, presumably, an electric heater too.

But the CT has more AC (enough for welders and compressors), a longer bed and a bigger battery, tows more and has a bigger paylad.. It is definitely more suited as a work truck and is marketed in such a way as to include that segment without precluding the "adventure" market. The Rivian is not marketed in such a way as to include the working man (when he is working at any rate).
Yes, Cyber truck has all those great things for working people & businesses.
I think Rvian R1T is the play/off-road truck because of shorter wheel base & tiny cargo bed.
I think shortest cargo bed on Ford F-150 is 5.5ft.

I was kinda surprised by Sandy's statement but he very clearly said Rivian R1T would be better competitor to F-150/250 series competitors.

97trophy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Country flag
Watch the full interview and not just that short clip. I don't think that short clip does the full interview justice.

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have watched every video Sandy has on Youtube. Not a one has been a waste of my time. The first part of the long video Sandy talks about Dr. Deming at Ford in 1980s and how most U.S. companies management did not get it & even today don't. I never met Dr. Deming but in late 1970s, I was fortunate to work at a manufacturing plant where the company president did believe in Dr. Deming's philosophy. I still use that experience today.

However after listening to the total interview I did not hear anything that would change the context of the shorter clip.

He said from a couple of angles that the competition for business use of F-150/250/Silverado/Ram pickups was Rivian not Cybertruck. That Cybertruck would be more used for hunting, camping, over-landing.

He also thinks Rivian tank turn is really neat and feels tank turn would be really helpful when out on trails and you need to turn around. I can see it could be useful but am very concerned with how it will destroy the road/trail surface. If you are on a trail, some others have been before you or else there would be no trail for you to drive on. Well others will likely follow you too. What ever situation you saw that made you need to do tank turn others might decide the same thing. If many vehicles do tank turns at same spot a deeper and deeper rut will be dug. That rut will be dug at a much faster rate than just normal driving on a trail deepens ruts.

The historical method if you could not turn around is to backup. But backing up any long distance is difficult for most drivers and is slow.
In the future, the better way is to let FSD drive the vehicle in reverse. If the vehicle had another set of FSD cameras & radar on the back, FSD could probably do some pretty fast reverse driving.

Tank turn would have very little use by business because most driving is on paved surfaces where you could not do tank turns. Even if there is snow or ice on the road I think you would still need to worry that the snow/ice layer was so thin that the tank turn wore the snow/ice layer away and all of a sudden the tires get grip on the pavement & destroy the tires or the trucks suspension.

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I was also surprised at Sandy in this video, he went against what I have seen in all of his other videos concerning the CT. IMO the Rivian would make a good every day driver. I did look on Electrify Americas website and their prices are a lot cheaper than what they use to be and much better coverage on the east cost vs Arizona where I used to live

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I missed another important one.
Rivian is only 5-passenger. Cybertruck seats 6.
Whether it is your work crew on Earth or RED shirts on Mars, with Cybertruck, no crew member #6 will be left behind.

Hmm, Rivian R1T web site
https://rivian.com/r1t

Sub-model names Limited, Adventure, Explore but no sub-model named WORK.
Lot of pictures of people at play but not a single picture with working people. No tool belts, hammer, nails, 2x4, package deliveries in sight.

Last edited:

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
People can persuade you to say anything. Maybe Sandy has something against Tesla, the CT, or Elon personally. Who knows. Let people decide for themselves. Do we really have to watch a video today to decide whether we like something or not? Go test drive a Rivian! If you like it, ok. Do you love it? If so, get it. See how it works for you. Enjoy. peace

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Lot of pictures of people at play but not a single picture with working people. No tool belts, hammer, nails, 2x4, package deliveries in sight.
You are applying your prejudices where they don't belong. Rivian has already said it is NOT a work truck, it is an adventure vehicle.

Don't like it? That's fine. But don't get mad at them because it doesn't do what you want when they never implied it would.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I missed another important one.
Rivian is only 5-passenger. Cybertruck seats 6.
Whether it is your work crew on Earth or RED shirts on Mars, with Cybertruck, no crew member #6 will be left behind.

Hmm, Rivian R1T web site
https://rivian.com/r1t

You are applying your prejudices where they don't belong.
Weird reply??

No prejudice here. I am just pointing this out too Rivian fanatics that say Rivian is better work truck than Cybertruck.

Don't like it? That's fine. But don't get mad at them because it doesn't do what you want when they never implied it would.
You are missing the point.

Yes, Rivian does not say R1T is a work truck but some Rivian fanatics are saying R1T is better work truck than Cybertruck.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Weird reply??

No prejudice here. I am just pointing this out too Rivian fanatics that say Rivian is better work truck than Cybertruck.

You are missing the point.

Yes, Rivian does not say R1T is a work truck but some Rivian fanatics are saying R1T is better work truck than Cybertruck.
Sorry, I was tired and do appear to have missed the point.

Since you were OP I thought you were expressing your opinions when I first read the thread.

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
Well, right now the Rivian is by far, head and shoulders above, a better work truck than the Cybertruck. Hopefully the opposite will prove to be true shortly!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Rivian would have to be an outstanding work truck to take away from Ford.. and it isn't. But it is a good everyday truck, that notwithstanding, I have no doubt Rivian has greased a lot of palms for people to say so.

CT on the other hand is a stronger truck. The time will come.

Ford will come through. It's the other manufacturers imo who will be doing most of the bleeding.

alexbeau

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicles
Current: F250 Super Duty - Future: Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Youtuber
Country flag
So it's a work truck with a 54" bed (a shorter bed than the Ford Ranger) and a $73k starting MSRP? I don't know about that.