Is Rivian R1T a better work truck than Cybertruck?

alexbeau

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicles
Current: F250 Super Duty - Future: Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Youtuber
Country flag
Imagine comparing a think that exists with a thing that doesnt.
They have sold what, 25k of these things? Might as well not exist lol. Nobody is buying these for work. They are buying it to drive to their house in Tahoe.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
bahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Mike Menyan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
manager
Country flag
I can't get rid of an association with a Swiss knife when talking about Rivian cars. I don't think that these cars are direct competitors to Cybetruck. These models have different audience to focus on. I am very excited to see the final version of Cybetruck, hope it will live up to my expectations. And hope that there will be some suitable cars on sca.auction after Cybertruck gets finally released.

Last edited:

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Didn’t I just read that Rivian will drop (has dropped, is dropping, etc.) the “and turn” because “it might damage the trails”??? Oh, and then a comment about “most drivers might not be able to control the truck during the turn” ??

I think there will be a number of corporations that buy the CT. Not only for the vault and the security, but for the ADVERTISING! Especially for the first few years, this thing will turn heads. And if your company logo is on the side or the tailgate, that’s marketing.

Chris9702L

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
No way the Rivian will be a better work truck. Watch the video about the Rivian and the F150 work truck comparison on the “Now You Know” YouTube channel about 6 months ago. The father and son duo bought both trucks and have an extensive video on the subject. Example - the F150 can run a full on welder while the Rivian can’t.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yeah, he was saying it from the pure square shape. He's not always right! That's why he gets experts and techs to work for and with him.

-Crissa
and his experts are often dead wrong. Cory did a solo set of predictions a month or so ago that just didn't make any sense. It is sad when people become celebrities without demonstrating any particular expertise and then try their hands at forecasting. It is their right, but reputations can be destroyed faster than they are built.

Anyway, it is indeed odd that we are rehashing an argument that was presented 3 years ago. It isn't even a discussion between the R1T and the Cybertruck since the latter isn't available. There can be few that would argue that the R1T is better than the Lightning as a work truck; it is really more of an adventure vehicle but it has all kinds of issues that need to be worked out before it can compete in that category. The Cybertruck might compete better with the Lightning but it will certainly be compared with other full-sized pickups rather than adventure vehicles.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Didn’t I just read that Rivian will drop (has dropped, is dropping, etc.) the “and turn” because “it might damage the trails”??? Oh, and then a comment about “most drivers might not be able to control the truck during the turn” ??
This is what they claimed the reasoning is.

I think the reality is they did this like 50 times and it worked once (you can see the tread all torn up in the video). They used that video to make a promo shot, but have not since been able to repeat it.

Connecting the Dots did a video where he claimed the Cybertruck would be able to do a “better” version of the tank turn, but I don’t buy that either. Unless you happen to be:
  • In a nearly flat open field.
  • On a surface with poor traction.
  • Don’t care if the truck wanders a bunch or lurches sideways half the time.
  • Don’t care if you are tearing up the trail and your tires while you are doing it.
  • Have lots of time to try it over and over again before success.
It’s a stupid feature with no real purpose. Even if it worked **exactly as advertised** 90% of the time, it would still be worthless because it has too much potential to get you even more stuck than you started.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No way the Rivian will be a better work truck. Watch the video about the Rivian and the F150 work truck comparison on the “Now You Know” YouTube channel about 6 months ago. The father and son duo bought both trucks and have an extensive video on the subject. Example - the F150 can run a full on welder while the Rivian can’t.
It's the one thing they're really good at.

and his experts are often dead wrong.
Yeah, I don't trust their predictions or their interviews. Too much BS.

But when he's got the machines in front of him, he calls it what it is, and that's the good stuff.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But when he's got the machines in front of him, he calls it what it is, and that's the good stuff.
Munro is weird to me.

They are **really really good* at some things. Easily the best source around when talking about simplifying assembly and design and cost estimates. If they just stuck to the stuff they are good at, they would be A++. And they are A++ in their bailiwick.

The problem is they produce a lot of other content where they are outside their bailiwick and publish it all under the same umbrella and push it as if they have the same expertise on that topic.

Maybe they should label some of their videos as “Beta” content. I don’t know, but its very frustrating watching a video of theirs and seeing them just flat wrong on stuff knowing people will be quoting it for weeks to come.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Munro is weird to me.

They are **really really good* at some things. Easily the best source around when talking about simplifying assembly and design and cost estimates. If they just stuck to the stuff they are good at, they would be A++. And they are A++ in their bailiwick.

The problem is they produce a lot of other content where they are outside their bailiwick and publish it all under the same umbrella and push it as if they have the same expertise on that topic.

Maybe they should label some of their videos as “Beta” content. I don’t know, but its very frustrating watching a video of theirs and seeing them just flat wrong on stuff knowing people will be quoting it for weeks to come.
A lot of these YouTubers are doing that; they have a following in their niche expertise and they are clearly trying to expand to get more viewers (and make more money). I do not blame anyone for wanting to 'expand on a good thing' but if I feel like someone is only in it for the money then I'll drop them like a hot potato. Munro, as you and @Crissa say, is the best at what they started out doing and that is tearing down vehicles and reporting on their manufacturing efficiencies (or lack thereof). Anything else is really a waste of my time. I also don't appreciate it when YouTubers get advertisers. If they have the viewers then they are being paid and the advertising just lowers their value to me.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Having performed tank turns in real tanks, they destroy the surface they are on. It actually digs a hole bigger than the tank. A wheeled vehicle will be less abusive to the surface but will still be something you don't want done on your lawn.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Having performed tank turns in real tanks, they destroy the surface they are on. It actually digs a hole bigger than the tank. A wheeled vehicle will be less abusive to the surface but will still be something you don't want done on your lawn.
Real truck drivers just make a J Turn to flip their truck around in a tight spot.
Sponsored