A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I prefer the look of the CT over the Rivian. If they were equal I'd rather support the manufacturer that forced the EV transition.... hence Tesla.
Most of us are foreward looking enough to understand that Tesla really needs some sound competition. I doubt that this realization would be enough to push me to Rivian rather than CT if I liked the CT better. Fact is their targets aren't quite the same. Rivian's is distinctly less blue collar (as I perceive it, anyway). Only solution I can think of is to order one of each and keep the one I enjoy driving most (or maybe both).
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Living in Norway (which might get the CT as we’re not in the EU and are very EV happy) I’m very concerned with the corrosion resistance as the roads are full of salt all winter here. Would have been more at ease if Tesla called their steel 31x than 30x. Maybe it ends up needing a coat or film to use in snowy environments?

Cold, snowy environments seems to be somewhat an afterthought at Tesla. I’m thinking about the splash guards I got in the mail after a year and that heat pump hasn’t been a thing before now.
I think Elian’s primary focus is lowering manufacturing cost to keep the prices competitive while having a profit margin. The fact that we are all here means it is working. I also think, they slap together the prototype for demo rather quickly to keep folks flocking to Rivian and they are still working the kinks out which is probably the reason we have not gotten the update Elon promised. I am sure by production time, they will figure something out. A rusted body is not as slippery and would mess with the drag and we know Tesla can’t stand inefficiency ;)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Most of us are foreward looking enough to understand that Tesla really needs some sound competition. I doubt that this realization would be enough to push me to Rivian rather than CT if I liked the CT better. Fact is their targets aren't quite the same. Rivian's is distinctly less blue collar (as I perceive it, anyway). Only solution I can think of is to order one of each and keep the one I enjoy driving most (or maybe both).
Or you can drive one of them up on top of the other one and the use the lower one to go where you want to go. That way in every situation you will be able to choose which one you want to drive. Oh, wait, be careful of that overpass or parking structure.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Cold, snowy environments seems to be somewhat an afterthought at Tesla. I’m thinking about the splash guards I got in the mail after a year and that heat pump hasn’t been a thing before now.
All the Tesla's I'm aware of have a heat pump. But it was never before now equipped with valving to allow it to pump heat from the ambient into the car - just the other direction. The new "heat pump" arrangement (what's new is the Octovalve) is just a natural evolutionary step in a car that needs to use every joule of battery energy wisely,

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
All the Tesla's I'm aware of have a heat pump. But it was never before now equipped with valving to allow it to pump heat from the ambient into the car - just the other direction. The new "heat pump" arrangement (what's new is the Octovalve) is just a natural evolutionary step in a car that needs to use every joule of battery energy wisely,
I’m talking about a heat pump for cabin climate purposes (“from ambient to car”) in cold weather. I’m not aware of any other EV sold in Northern Europe that haven’t offered this at least the last five years.

Back on topic, I’m expecting the CT to have this covered, and will have to say the Rivian looks too “decorated” and conservative for me now that the CT is a thing.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The Tesla X an S don't have this. And I'm not so sure about the 3. It was developed for the Y but I'm hazy on the details for sure. Other manufacturers in the US have it but can't remember which one. I am not drawing a distinction based on where the heat goes. I'm talking about the ability to use the heat exchanger in the airstream as an evaporator. The heat so extracted can be routed wherever it is needed.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I viewed my first Rivian pickup in the flesh today. The driver was charging it at a local pre-school in Newport Beach, CA. It had a wrap on it but it wasn’t the typical car manufacturer wrap. I was driving on the other side of the street and could not get my phone out in time to snap a quick pick.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I’m all in on the CT, and live in British Columbia where I do a fair amount of winter driving between Kamloops and the Gulf Islands. I need durability and a bigger bed to carry solar equipment for my company.
.... and you get mild winters in that area compared to the northern half of BC.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last point - I think there is no way that Rivian can match FSD and not charge for it. Ridiculous perspective. If they can buy it from someone, do you really think that cost won't be passed on to the consumer. If they have to develop it, I don't think a meager investment where they are not charging for it can offer similar capability. Just my $.02.
Paul

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Great post as usual. There are definitely advantages to both. For me price is the biggie that put me on hold for CT. I wonder how many people would Jump ship if there was a dual motor Rivian for $50K ? If CT put the mid gate in, I would still stay with CT but there are a few things I would miss about Rivian:

• Spare Tire
  • More accessible bed
  • the storage behind the backseat
  • interior design
I have had many old cars that paint held up on them so that is not a big deal for me. And I wouldn’t use the Tank Turn. I do like the larger bed on CT and the charging network. I am curious if the price was the same, how would they stack up for the rest of you guys?
If Rivian does SOMEDAY offer a dual motor equivalent for approx $50,000, it will sell a ton of them.
Price point is important to at least 50% of buyers, or more. It certainly will be important to all the potential buyers that come after the early adopters.

Maybe I will get both a Rivian (early 2022?) and a Cybertruck (late 2023?). I am wait listed on both.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Last point - I think there is no way that Rivian can match FSD and not charge for it. Ridiculous perspective. If they can buy it from someone, do you really think that cost won't be passed on to the consumer. If they have to develop it, I don't think a meager investment where they are not charging for it can offer similar capability. Just my $.02.
Paul
I don't own a Tesla, so obviously I do not have their current "self driving beta". I do however have several friends that have Teslas and like the driver helper.

Although I think a lot of people are not that interested in FSD. I do think other EV manufacturers will do fine without FSD. Affordability will be one big factor. If the Tesla is $10,000 more because it has FSD, a lot of buyers will be fine without it. Another is just driver preference. Sunroof for some people, for others they can't stand a sun roof. Some love a 3 row SUV, others want a minvan. Cars are a big market - so plenty of room for choices.
Sponsored