Tesla Files to use new millimeter-wave radar on FSD cars.

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
And even if FSD worked today... Wouldn't we expect them to be trying to make the cars see better, be safer, continually?

-Crissa
I guess I was looking at it wrong, from the point of view that they still can't make FSD work, and are looking for new hardware to fix the problem. Musk has said that using Lidar is stupid, but other manufactures are all using it.

But in reality, what you say is true, let's make it better no matter what. :)
Sponsored

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
How many YouTube videos have you seen with people who have the beta and don't even need to do anything from work to their home and back? I have seen several and it looks like all they need to do is decide how the rollout is going to happen and go from there
The BETA videos I have seen show that there is still lots of work to do. I would say FSD is helpful, but not yet a functioning system (Except on highways).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The BETA videos I have seen show that there is still lots of work to do. I would say FSD is helpful, but not yet a functioning system (Except on highways).
No argument there but I want to focus on what they can do in another year or so when our trucks start rolling off the line, especially when Dojo starts getting involved! I have been impressed with the progress they have made with a tiny group of beta testers in just a month or so. If they even just open up to a broader beta testing group maybe they can get to the first or second ‘9’. Wouldn’t that be cool?

There are several things going on with the ‘Lidar crowd’. One is a focus on high resolution maps and rules. It just doesn’t scale well. It’s not Lidar alone.

I like the idea of vehicles communicating with each other and maybe Starlink will be put into the CT. Wouldn’t that be cool?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I have been impressed with the progress they have made with a tiny group of beta testers in just a month or so.
So... you would say it’s been a month or so? Tell Elon so he can realize a month or so has passed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So... you would say it’s been a month or so? Tell Elon so he can realize a month or so has passed.
Did the FSD beta start at the same time he said that? You are funny but we have already agreed that ‘our’ definition of “or so” is probably different than his.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Did the FSD beta start at the same time he said that? You are funny but we have already agreed that ‘our’ definition of “or so” is probably different than his.
Thinking back I think FSD beta came just about the same time as the month or so comment. But I could easily be miss-remembering.

And yes, our definition does seem our definition is different than his. Which is why someone could let him know. I’m sure there is something larger going on though so I doubt he will respond just cause we want him to. But one can dream.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There are several things going on with the ‘Lidar crowd’. One is a focus on high resolution maps and rules. It just doesn’t scale well. It’s not Lidar alone.
Let's keep in mind that this announcement concerns a sensor that will send information to the AI algorithms - not about the AI itself. The premise is, of course, that if you give the algorithm better data, it can do a better job.

Millimeter pulse compression radar promises higher resolution imaging than is possible in the lower bands i.e. resolution that is closer to Lidar's resolution without the cost and with the ability to see when Lidar can't (fog, smoke,,,).

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Meh, this is a very small development..... :ROFLMAO::cool:

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Does anyone else’s brain hurt after reading all these post? It just need to work, we all don’t need to know how it works. Where’s my CT at, if I whistle real loud can it come to me?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag

Last edited:

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
This just advertises that you don't understand. Why do you want to do that? That really puzzles me.
No he's saying it's a really small development joking about millimeter waves That's why you got the glasses and stuff It was a funny joke because it's small

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Based on those FSD beta videos I’ve seen, I expect my Cybertruck to drive me home when I pick it up at the factory In 2023. They’ve made great progress.

I would also expect the hardware to be better at the time I pick it up than it currently is now, and get better as soon as I leave the factory. That’s how Tesla operates and I can live with that.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No he's saying it's a really small development joking about millimeter waves That's why you got the glasses and stuff It was a funny joke because it's small
Oh, he make yoke!

Post gone.