Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Colossal, Magnificent, Wonderous, Umwerfend, Stupendo, Thavmásios.............

Tesla Cybertruck Giga Texas - The 8th Wonder of the World 1_642ffbd8-2de1-4089-8bc6-36ac22a13b18_600x600
Sponsored

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I’m actually quite curious why some of it is concrete frame and roof construction and some is steel. Maybe someone more familiar with structural engineering can enlighten me.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I’m actually quite curious why some of it is concrete frame and roof construction and some is steel. Maybe someone more familiar with structural engineering can enlighten me.
...concrete is quicker...
...but if you want large areas of uninterrupted space (no big concrete columns/pilons)...
...then you want steel, which has a better strength to weight ratio...
...both have pros and cons...

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In this case I believe that the huge gantry cranes, their number (two on the north end and three on the south end) the weight they must carry, and the height of the cranes given the size of things they have to move might have disposed the design toward concrete columns.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Different processes have different design needs. The areas with concrete have full height and larger open areas meaning distance between columns much further. One reason could be Semi production requires larger open spaces. Like someone else said, they've installed massive gantry cranes on rails in some of those areas already.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
It's a factory. :rolleyes:
You are correct sir. But it's much more than just a factory... it's a place where dreams are born, where... OK, I'll shut up. It's a factory. A cool, Cybertruck factory. All right, I can't shut up. I love this place 'cause it's gonna make make my CT, it's like Disneyland for Cybertruck owners. We're witnessing history in the making, folks. In the future, like 20 years from now, when they're building Tera factory #77 (on fucking Mars, probably), we'll be able to say, "I was there to see when they broke ground on Tera Austin, the one that made Tesla explode in size and scope. That's why we all live in Cyberhouses with Cybersolar roofs, CyberHVAC and Cyberplumbing"
Sorry, I'm slowly going insane waiting. ?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Two if you have mentioned gantry cranes but I do not think that’s a factor in it needing yo be concrete. Boeing has massive gantry cranes to move huge sections of aircraft and their buildings are steel construction. They are also massive open spaces without columns.

itwill be interesting to see what winds up in those areas.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
The roof structure that is steel is interesting.

Why do the ridges on part of the roof run from top to bottom(looks like to channel water), but on the other half the ridges run sideways?

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Too much to speculate until it's done. Unless someone has access to prints..

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...but if you want large areas of uninterrupted space (no big concrete columns/pilons)...
...then you want steel, which has a better strength to weight ratio...
...Except the concrete pillars are where there are fewer of them!

Which is entirely the difference. The pre-cast pillars are stronger than the smaller pieces of steel they're making the rest of the factory from.

It'll all be steel wrapped in a concretion of some kind when they're done.

Why do the ridges on part of the roof run from top to bottom(looks like to channel water), but on the other half the ridges run sideways?
For a roof that large, it all has to run to a drain at some point. So there are many different sections with isolated drains. You're probably seeing the under-structure of the panels at this point, tho.

-Crissa

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
*not an engineer* but my understanding is that both types of structures involve steel for its sheer and tension value while certain portions are steel reinforced concrete, which has higher compression value and fire tolerance, so for areas with foundries and gantry cranes, etc. but its more expensive and not as ideal for multi-level areas like the steel-only structure

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere but there are a handful of drone pilots putting up some great vids on YouTube regularly as this wonderful thing goes up. I am particularly a fan of Joe Tegtmeyer's stuff - he does a bunch of research and takes the time to share it.

The area that relies more on concrete for structural beams seems to be at the southeast corner, where the die manufacturing, stamping machines, and gigapress machines are located. Many of these machines are on isolation structures (so their force isn't translated to the rest of the factory). Not sure why, exactly, but they've called for a lot of concrete pillars there and more steel in the sections devoted to paint, GA, battery manufacturing, etc. The die-making and stamping machine sections, in particular, seem to call for more open vertical space and there's a massive bridge crane structure involved, so I would speculate that it was thought better/faster/cheaper to use concrete pillars here, and steel elsewhere.

As for the roof, they appear to be laying rebar and pouring concrete over the whole thing, much as they are on the floors below. So you will see bare metal on each roof section until the concrete is poured over it. Apparently (absent plans) the drainage begins with the slope of the roof. The photo at the top of this thread (thanks, TruckElectric!) appears to be a north-to-south shot. Generally speaking, water will drain first to the east or west, depending on where you are standing. The rest isn't obvious yet.
Sponsored

Last edited: