Factory pick-up in lieu of delivery [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I hope that whoever decides won't say this, but if I were them, my position would be:

"The plant is for building Teslas. It is not for entertainment, increasing loyalty, saving the customers money, showing how they're built, or whatever reason they have for plant-side pickup.

It would take resources to manage the process. We'd need a transporter to convey them through the plant, and this could disrupt our employees. What if a kid jumps off and gets hurt? What if someone claims lung damage from battery fumes? How do I know one of the riders won't be an industrial spy? If the truck isn't ready for a week what would be my obligation to transport, house, and feed the buyer and family? Conversely, if it is ready but the customer's arrival is delayed, we'd have to look after the vehicle. If buyers insist we adjust the doors or fix a scratch, we'd need a sub-factory just for that. If somebody gets sick on the tour, how would we handle it? If the new vehicle has trouble on the drive home, what if the customer insists we come and fix it?

Handling groups of people can be problematical, and that's not what we're here for. It's a car factory, not Disneyland."
_________

When we visited Hershey PA, we wanted to tour the candy factory. There was a special facility for tours only -- a fake mini-factory set up to show how the real one works. No outsiders ever got into the actual factory.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hiding factory processes from the outside is just bad business.

They say no one wants to know how the sausages are made, but... Those people haven't heard of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Hiding factory processes from the outside is just bad business.

They say no one wants to know how the sausages are made, but... Those people haven't heard of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

-Crissa
Some benefits do have associated costs.

Marcia Litsinger

First Name
Marcia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Nero hybrid, Cadillac Escalade.
Occupation
farmer
Country flag
I would for sure get to Austin to pick up my Cybertruck. We would get to see a bunch of folks on our way back home to Stagecoach Nevada. Haven't had a vacation away from the farm in a few years.

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
I live in NY and i'd for sure consider flying in to Austin and driving back to NY. Would end up being cheaper than delivery, and obviously more fun.
I live in NY also and asked Tesla rep whenI test drove M Y that I could pick it up @ factory.
Irrelevant. You aren't going to Texas to buy the truck. You will have bought the truck already.

-Crissa
I hope that whoever decides won't say this, but if I were them, my position would be:

"The plant is for building Teslas. It is not for entertainment, increasing loyalty, saving the customers money, showing how they're built, or whatever reason they have for plant-side pickup.

It would take resources to manage the process. We'd need a transporter to convey them through the plant, and this could disrupt our employees. What if a kid jumps off and gets hurt? What if someone claims lung damage from battery fumes? How do I know one of the riders won't be an industrial spy? If the truck isn't ready for a week what would be my obligation to transport, house, and feed the buyer and family? Conversely, if it is ready but the customer's arrival is delayed, we'd have to look after the vehicle. If buyers insist we adjust the doors or fix a scratch, we'd need a sub-factory just for that. If somebody gets sick on the tour, how would we handle it? If the new vehicle has trouble on the drive home, what if the customer insists we come and fix it?

Handling groups of people can be problematical, and that's not what we're here for. It's a car factory, not Disneyland."
_________

When we visited Hershey PA, we wanted to tour the candy factory. There was a special facility for tours only -- a fake mini-factory set up to show how the real one works. No outsiders ever got into the actual factory.
Your a stick in the mud and no fun, You shouldn't be allowed to own a CT until u prove you can have fun.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
"This solar array powers a fracking field!"

Uhh... Why did you have to write that three times? What was the point? It's plugged into the grid, not specifically any wells. It powers everything. Literally the solar array has no input on who uses power from the grid. That's how it works.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
"This solar array powers a fracking field!"

Uhh... Why did you have to write that three times? What was the point? It's plugged into the grid, not specifically any wells. It powers everything. Literally the solar array has no input on who uses power from the grid. That's how it works.

-Crissa
It is like that part of the movie when the assassin finds out he has not been working for the good guys and getting his homicidal fix can only be OK if he is taking out his employer. I think the main reason he put it there is to get some drama out of it and to imply no matter how much good you do, as long as the bad guy is there, you never know who you are working for so the only way to be sure is to take out the bad guy. The problem is until we get fusion, battery tech/supply,..... sorted out, we still need the bad guy. The longer we give him protection money (subsidies), the longer it takes to sort out those other things. I still use fuel for my ICE (which I drive very little) and natural gas at home so being part of the problem, I can’t really point a finger at anyone (yet). But I am working on it.
Sponsored