Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The state of California just collects that at registration. That's what the reciprocal deals are about, clearing up the transfer. The seller probably didn't put the right place of sale when they reported it to the state.

We (in California) even have to charge the specific sales tax of their local municipality when we're delivering it to them.

-Crissa
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All this talk about sales tax has me wondering....

In a future where Tesla and maybe a few other car companies dominate the automobile industry by building their own cars and then using those same cars in their own robotaxi networks, does sales tax essentially become a moot point? If Tesla builds the car and then runs the car, a sale never occurs. Now I get that there will still be taxes. But I’m thinking that the taxes are going to have to move over to registration taxes or ride level sales taxes or business taxes. If states go to registration taxes for that revenue then everyone who tries to keep their own personal vehicle is going to get taxed at a much higher rate. Which would further invent them to get rid of their personal car.

I get that all this is speculative but I tend to speculate a lot.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are taxes on services, so that still happens. And since there are more transactions that way, perhaps more local taxes will be recovered.

The registration laws will have to take into account that there may not be an open market for them to value the vehicle by.

-Crissa

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier RWD; 2000 Toyota Echo FWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I know that this is an old thread, but with the recent progress on the 9T Gigapress I am seriously beginning to imagine that there is a small possibility for me to fly down to Austin and drive back to Canada in my Cybertruck before the end of this year.

I shouldn't get my hopes up, though, and just keep expecting it in late 2024.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I know that this is an old thread, but with the recent progress on the 9T Gigapress I am seriously beginning to imagine that there is a small possibility for me to fly down to Austin and drive back to Canada in my Cybertruck before the end of this year.

I shouldn't get my hopes up, though, and just keep expecting it in late 2024.
Actually, on the agenda IS EV buying IN Texas. So, maybe!

Wonder why OP was banned. Didn’t realize that’s as possible. Can I cash in all my Cybertruck points to get someone banned? No one in particular but like just wanna have some power in the world. Never mind.
I just want my truck. And to be left alone. Where’s my truck Elon??

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Country flag
Is there any legal issue preventing us to pick up at factory and drive to home states?

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Is there any legal issue preventing us to pick up at factory and drive to home states?
"Dealer Franchise" laws vary greatly state to state. Not familiar with TX, but some states actually prohibit manufacture direct sales to the customer. You have to have a middleman, aka a "Dealer" involved.

I am sure there is a way around this, some temporary dealer tags while meeting at an offsite (non-Tesla) location and then complete registration in your home state later. Laws need to catch up with the market.

Anyhow, I hope to fly in and pick up my CT in Austin for the awesome road trip home. The cost of the trip might even be offset by saving on delivery fees?

I guess we will ALL find out soon.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I've seen this question raised but not in a thread. If I overlooked it I'm sorry, but are we going to be permitted to take delivery of our CT's in Austin and avoid a delivery fee? I tweeted this question to Elon but haven't seen a response yet. If not, why not? Seems perfectly reasonable to me and easier for Tesla than carting CT's all over the countryside.
When we picket up our Model 3 at Fremont we still had to pay that fee.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Chris9702L

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Have you heard back?

I'm going to guess that this is theoretically possible as Tesla can register a VIN at the DMV electronically, why not another state, i.e. your home state.

(I choose California for the example because that's my home state)
That being said, I'm sure there's a bunch of little things that I think would require the heft of Elon to make it so. For example, the transaction would occur in Texas. Does Texas have a rule about registering a purchase in Texas? If I was Texas, I'd make the rule that says you have to pay Texas fees to pickup a car in Texas. Does California require that new vehicles change hands in the California if its registered in California? These seem like silly rules, but if you multiply it by 50 possible they'll be something weird somewhere. What about tax advantages from the state? I'm guessing that it's a giant thicket of legal and financial issues not worth cutting through.

Btw, there was a bill to enable this in California at the Fremont factory in 2016. That would suggest that legislation is required to make it OK to occur. The State representative who represented Fremont was hoping to encourage this exact kind of thing. It did not pass.
I bought my Honda Ridgeline in California and drove it back to Colorado. I got an amazing deal since I guess the Ridgeline is not well like in CA. I don’t think I paid the taxes on California since they probably would have been enormous.
I plan to do the same with the Cybertruck, pick it up in Austin and drive it back to Colorado.
Sponsored