Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100D, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm going by the position of the charger.
I think you have it wrong Crissa. The charging point of the M3 is the driver-side rear light, to which that portion of the car is directly in front of the charger for which the car is parked. The cord is not drawn around the back of the car (as it would have been if they attempted to use the charger on the passenger side). And if it barely reaches as pictured, it stands to reason that if the poster had centered their parking, it would not have reached (as stated).

My assumption is they originally did center their parking, found the cable didn't reach, and had to repark; hence the tweet.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Except they have the charging stand in the middle of the back of their car. It has to reach over the tail of the car to the charge port.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
It looks to me like the charger is between the parking spaces, not directly behind the Tesla.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
What will charging etiquette be? Should you wait while your car charges? Is there an alarm that will sound on your phone when you are topped off if you are out of the vehicle doing other things?
Having been a long haul trucker I have had to deal with knuckle dragging mouth breathers that parked their rigs at the fuel islands while they went in to shop while having no intention of buying fuel. This are not isolated instances I see youtube videos of morons blocking pumps at regular gas stations too.
The Loves truck stop near me has Tesla chargers located next to the Wendys in the store section of the truck stop. Most of the time there are at least three ICE vehicles taking up charging stations.
Do you confront these inconsiderate morons that block chargers with their ICE vehicles or other EV drivers that bogart the chargers while they do other things?
I try not to be confrontational but I have very little patience with idiots.
Thoughts from the faithful?

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
It depends on the signage at the Superchargers. Some allow for limited time general parking while others only allow charging. Yes, you get notifications on your phone when your car is reaching a full charge or for whatever you set the limit too. Some busy chargers will charge an idle fee for when you overstay your charge time. As to non Tesla cars making in those spots it's really up to the location owners as to how they handle the situation. Most don't really care enough to enforce any rules.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
im with crissa, this owner clearly is making the space look larger than it really is...im pretty sure they are parked on the white divider lines to make it appear the space is huge when its prob not. The right rear tire is touching the middle of the wheel stop and wouldnt need to be that far over to charge.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
...she said that if a Model 3 is parked exactly in the center of the space, it will not be possible to charge it, since the cable is not long enough to reach the charging port
I guess I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. The charging stand is centered with the white hashed out area of the parking space. (I'm assuming that the spot the car is parked in is identical to the spot we can see). The charging cable is connected to the charging stand on the side furthest from the car (the right side from our perspective). The charging cable must go from where it's connected to the charging stand to the charge port on the car. According to the article the cable is not long enough to reach the charging port on the car if the car was centered in the spot.

You do see that the Model 3 is plugged into the right most charging stand right? Or are you thinking the charging stand to our left of the car is the charger to be used?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What will charging etiquette be? Should you wait while your car charges?
If you like. The cars have entertainment systems for that purpose.

There are additional fees for leaving it sitting at a charger while not charging.

Is there an alarm that will sound on your phone when you are topped off if you are out of the vehicle doing other things?
Yes. The app notifies you live, so you can tell what speed it's charging at.

Having been a long haul trucker I have had to deal with knuckle dragging mouth breathers that parked their rigs at the fuel islands while they went in to shop while having no intention of buying fuel. This are not isolated instances I see youtube videos of morons blocking pumps at regular gas stations too.
It's pretty obvious when a car isn't charging. There's a cable and lights. In a bunch of states now, a car that's not charging can be towed and it can actually be a finable offense.

I see lots of tow companies taking advantage of this in the future. Go in, say, I need a charging spot, the x color x make is sitting in the way, and hopefully the driver moves it immediately and you don't have to wait for the tow truck.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I guess I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. The charging stand is centered with the white hashed out area of the parking space. (I'm assuming that the spot the car is parked in is identical to the spot we can see). The charging cable is connected to the charging stand on the side furthest from the car (the right side from our perspective). The charging cable must go from where it's connected to the charging stand to the charge port on the car. According to the article the cable is not long enough to reach the charging port on the car if the car was centered in the spot.

You do see that the Model 3 is plugged into the right most charging stand right? Or are you thinking the charging stand to our left of the car is the charger to be used?
I'm not assuming the stall is the same width as the ones next to it, since the info states that only 4 of the 12 stalls is extra wide.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck New Tesla Supercharger in Texas Includes Spaces (Probably) For Cybertruck AF1QipMY8iWfoOyXCwq5LLKq_Ltyv20p1QcGAG3wQ2zw=s773-k-no

looks to me the space itself is the same size but more room inbetween each space...obviously they moved the charger over about 12-18 inches.

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
Why doesn't the article point out how badly the car is parked?

-Crissa
It did, the author noted that the charging cable was not long enough to service at least one Tesla model if it was centered in the parking spot. In other words, it can't be plugged in unless it is way over to one side. (I don't have a Tesla, waiting eagerly for my CT, but that is my take on the story.)

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
The charging handle locks to the car when the doors are locked. This applies to Superchargers and any other Tesla-specific chargers. The standard public chargers that use J1772 handles do not lock to the Tesla. The adapter that comes with every Tesla to use the J1772 handle does lock in, and you can buy or 3D print a simple plastic piece that locks the J1772 handle to the Tesla adapter (see here for one source of many https://teslachargerlock.com/).
Thank you!
Sponsored