Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
From OP:

I would hate using pepper spray, horns or guns (don't own one) on a bear.
Wait... I can see not wanting to use guns (might harm the bear and one could accidentally harm a person). I can kind of see not wanting pepper or bear spray (might disable self). But horns? Other than that they might not dissuade a bear, what is the trouble with horns? And do horns actually work on bears?
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are afraid of bears, being in a tent could be more of a danger than the CT.....food is the key......hang it up on a tree limb about 8 feet off the ground sticking out about 6 feet from the tree body......keep it away from the bed down area.....if that doesn't work for you, then maybe you are not of the camping kind.....I camp in the mountains all across California, Utah Wyoming and Montana on a motorcycle with friends.....we use tent all the time.....we have food there too.....fortunately, we have never had any issues with bears.....just howling coyotes....

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
OK, I like the fact that Cybertruck is tough and can withstand bullets and all kinds of abuse, but this scenario makes me a little nervous: Imagine sleeping in the Cybertruck tent and being attacked by a bear. Do you guys think it is possible to close the vault (panic-mode!) while the tent is setup?
Should be entirely possible, but judging by the height the bed shown in the camping picture, you'll just be a little cramped.

Yeah, looking at this picture (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...1-tesla-cybertruck-cargo-vault-above-open.jpg) the only logical way to anchor a tent is using those black slider grooves, which are below the sliding vault, so I don't think it will be possible to 'panic close' the vault due to mechanical interference issues.
If you look at the Tesla gallery photos of the cybertruck you'll be able to zoom in along the left and right sides of the truck from the end of the bed up to the top of the glass. there are a few spots on each side that look exactly like removable covers. I would suspect this would be for roof racks or even the tent attachments. The camping picture also allows you to see through the tent to the other side and it doesn't seem that the tent obstructs the cover from opening and closing at all. This will be great, even if there are no bears, if you are at a public camp area, you can lock anything you have in the bed without taking the entire tent off.

Thanks. I know bears are not dangerous in the way many people think, (I repealed bears from my porch using loud voice), but 'when in the wilderness' + Cybertruck stuffed with food while protected only by a flimsy tent, pepper spray in his eyes (or mine) might not be an optimal method.. I cannot even escape to the main cabin (with current Cybertruck design). Wish I had a super-safe sleeping vault option for those rare but dangerous nature encounters. I am planning to travel Intl, firearms are not an easy option. Cybertruck horn might not be easily accesiible while camping. (imagine trying to honk via Iphone app, please wait -- connection not available, or even worse -- you have a software upgrade! Schedule for later or now?. LOL)
Best way to invite a bear to visit is to keep food closeby. While camping in any area (even without bears), it's smart to have a food bag, toss it over a high tree branch away from the trunk of the tree (animals climb), and have your food hanging high off the ground and not right beside the campsite, I usually do it like 20-30 meters away.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Ground-camped with bear trapsing past my tent during the night from Sierras, Yosemite, Glacier to Canada. They know you are there inside your tent. Get used to it, never gets comfortable. I will get the odd giggle at the co-existence moment then go back to sleeping. Welcome to the natural world.

Its too late in middle of night awoke by bear, to fear the horrible thought, whether all your foodstuffs are secured and tree-hung away off-camp. A tent rooftop is not anymore secure from bear who climb, either.

God forbid there would be any inside a Cybertruck. I choose to practice to never carry or leave food traces, tranches or so much as a garbage bag inside a car. I have rolltop, dry bags and eat hermetically sealed dehydrated food pouches in bear country. I bury both my food waste and dishwash water away, deeply off-camp.

My Dad parked our camper across from garbage containers in Yellowstone where bear feasted at nite. That next morning was all the lesson needed to take what a bear can do to steel enclosures holding food.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
On the plus side, the viral video of "Bear vs. Cybertruck" will make you a fortune :LOL:
More importantly, if the CT thwarts the bear, you will be fortunate to own a super truck CT. Bears know how to get into pretty much any other vehicle if they are motivated to do so.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
This is what cracks me up about people being so terrified of Australia. I camped all the time as a kid, teen and adult. I never, ever had to worry about being eaten by something. I'll take spiders and snakes over a bear any day. A few simple precautions like checking your sleeping bag and shoes takes care of spiders. Snakes are just not an issue.

In other countries you aren't safe from the wildlife even inside a bullet proof stainless steel quasi-tank!
Sponsored