Real range on Lightning better than CT dual motor!?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
we call our buddy Red to borrow their spare tire?
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Until that fateful night you need one, 100 miles from Nowheresville. BTW there are already some off the shelf hitch mounted spare tire mounts that lever down to pavement level with an extended cheater bar to handle the load and still allow you to pull a medium size 10K trailer to boot.
That is a terrible solution for mounting a spare tire "just in case". Really a bad idea. The bracket alone adds 44 lbs. to your hitch and you still have to add the weight of your wheel and tire to that. That's gonna bring you to 100 lbs. additional tongue weight to whatever your trailer adds. So, no, not good. That's going to severely reduce what you can tow. I also don't like the idea of towing through it because it's essentially a receiver within a receiver which is going to compound trailer sway and create new failure points in your receiver.

Even if I were not planning to tow anything I would avoid that like the plague because it's something I would have to drop every time I wanted to lower the tailgate. What a pain in the butt! Plus, it's almost as heavy as the wheel it carries!

I'm with those who realize most flats are due to low air pressure, cheap tires, bad driving or a combination of two or more. In other words, a competent motorist is very unlikely to have a flat that can't be easily repaired with an emergency plug using the Cybertruck's built-in air compressor to re-inflate.

I would only carry a spare if going on an expedition in areas more remote than anywhere in the lower 48. And if you are going in an area that remote you are probably not in an electric vehicle unless you are on an extended "roam" using fold-out solar panels and multi-day camps to re-charge.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
So what is "Plan B" for those "Anti-Spare drivers soon to be pedestrians" out there when you have that "not plug-able moment" and find yourself not in your driveway and 100 miles from anywhere on a weekend at night in the mountains and it's snowing and you did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night? Just wondering how that is gonna play out. What would of been a 15 minute break in the action is now possibly a few hours waiting for a flatbed tow to civilization then awaiting a few days for a spare tire pre-mounted on a rim to be shipped in because where you ended up has no 24 hour tire shop with attached warehouse for that monstrous tire. I don't
think FedEX or UPS has that airdrop delivery method perfected just yet nor able to fly in such a heavy object to your exact location with the drone thingy. I am listening.
What's the "Plan B" for those of you who only carry one spare tire when you have two non-reparable flats?

To put this in perspective, it's important to realize that any vehicle, ICE or EV, can become disabled by plenty of things other than a flat tire or two. The chances of it being a tire that can't be plugged when using a reasonable amount of care with regard to maintaining air pressure, avoiding road hazards, and purchasing good quality tires suitable for the application are very remote compared to other potential failures that could leave you stranded. There was a day when tire failures were, by far, the most common way for a vehicle to become disabled but those days are long gone. Yet, it is still necessary to have a plan to ensure you and any companions can survive a disabling event. having a spare tire doesn't solve this problem in the most likely ways that a vehicle can become disabled.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
EPA ranges are wildly inaccurate and overstated even on ICE vehicles. Par for the course within the industry.

My 2007 Ridgeline epa rated mileage is 15 city/20 highway. My real world equivalent is 8mpg city/16mpg highway. I dont know who doesn't take epa ratings with a grain of salt.

I look forward to when my city mileage far exceeds the rating.. and the highway driving is close enough. Given I am paying $70 to drive 180 miles in my home city currently.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The level of emergency spare gear carried is proportional to how far off grid you travel. The rule applies to human emergency supplies too.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
My spare will be a motorcycle ^-^

-Crissa

(And wow, unless hauling a bike rack I have always exceeded EPA...)
Well... you are driving a 4 cylinder tiny car. I'm talking about EPA ratings with a non aerodynamic truck, which is more analogous to the CT than a 4 cylinder bean.

Ive never had fuel economy issues with a 4 cylinder car. My best car was a geo metro that got insane fuel economy pre hybrid! I could drive that thing forever as fast as I could make it go and never took a hit on economy.

ps. the geo metro also had great traction in the snow. Not sure why people have issues driving in snow!

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I beat it in my Civic, my Sentra, and the 3. Mid-sized car, not tiny.

I got 17mpg in my Nova, above average, too.

And yet people say I go fast ^-^;

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I beat it in my Civic, my Sentra, and the 3. Mid-sized car, not tiny.

I got 17mpg in my Nova, above average, too.

And yet people say I go fast ^-^;

-Crissa
All 3 are 4 cylinder engines. All 3 more aerodynamic than a truck. I guess I should have qualified the discussion based around truck epa ratings.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
All 3 are 4 cylinder engines. All 3 more aerodynamic than a truck. I guess I should have qualified the discussion based around truck epa ratings.
I got both 30 mpg and 12 mpg in my Avalanche. Though it did reduce to 4 cylinders on highways with low demand on engine.