CT range be better than F150 Lightning owners' reports

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I read that but it doesn't match my experience. I find that, when kiteboarding, moist air is much more powerful for the same temperature and windspeed. I have to rig to smaller kites or be overpowered. If these are taken into consideration the only thing left is air density isn't it?
There’s also air pressure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Fun fact, humid air is LESS dense than dry air assuming temperature and pressure being held constant.
Seems counter-intuitive. But I don't know, I did not study it (lol).

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Anything uses more energy towing, it's nothing to do with EVs. But, as EVs use a fraction of the energy while producing exponentially more power, they will still be more efficient.

This youtube channel is always interesting with regard to towing efficiency, which showcases this.
https://tfltruck.com/tfltruck-hall-ike-gauntlet/

It all comes down to charging locations. If you have to do long hauls more than a few hundred miles, and get a full-sized diesel, the CT isn't for you.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
With kite and wind surfing everyone knows surf performance is directly proportional to what you had for lunch. Golf tends to be less impacted though. Thats been my experience at least.

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
With kite and wind surfing everyone knows surf performance is directly proportional to what you had for lunch. Golf tends to be less impacted though. Thats been my experience at least.
I did a lot of wind surfing and it's very true. Beans for lunch gives you strongesttail (or under the tail) wind propulsion than root crops like potato or yam.

As to golf, I'm not sure. Seems it more if your balls like to swim or just bask in beach sand.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
Range always decreases in towing or cold, even with Internal Combustion engines. The only benefit ICE has is it creates waste heat we use to keep us warm.

As far as Cybertruck goes, expect a towing/cold weather loss. How much it will be is unknown for now. Just don’t give up your dreams or your reservation.
Just to add on to what you said, the new heat pump being installed in the cybertruck would actually fight most of the energy loss from being cold. Knowing what we know about cars, cold loss, towing loss, etc…. I’m just putting 2 and 2 together and still hoping it will be better than most trucks and ice vehicles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Seems counter-intuitive. But I don't know, I did not study it (lol).
Water is actually a very small molecule. Oxygen is 15x heavier (more dense) than Hydrogen, and a water molecule has two hydrogen atoms instead of an additional oxygen atom so...

Anyhow, it basically fits between the other molecules in the air and pushes them apart - and more temperature means more pushing.

It's an interesting but usually irrelevant to range loss, since it barely varies at all at temps below 50F.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
It seems that Ford has not perfected the technology but rushed their Lightning to be first in the market.

Early adopters have discovered the shortcoming and some are in the rush to sell their unit. And thus I am currently on-holding pattern for my F150 Lightning Lariat although Ford corporate keeps on sending me emails and texts to do my order (first step on their fulfillment process).

Those of us who are waiting for our Cybertruck are cautiously optimistic that the final product will have remedied these issues. My specific concerns are cold weather range (like really heavy snow), loss or range in uphill climb, towing an RV or saddled with truck camper. This are the environment and my intended use of my Cybertruck.

SgtSweatySac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Silverado, 2021 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Filthy Network Admin
Country flag
Just to add on to what you said, the new heat pump being installed in the cybertruck would actually fight most of the energy loss from being cold. Knowing what we know about cars, cold loss, towing loss, etc…. I’m just putting 2 and 2 together and still hoping it will be better than most trucks and ice vehicles.
To add some anecdotal evidence, my brother has an '18 Model 3 LR with the radiant/superbottle, and will lose about 20-25% of his range in winter once it starts dropping into the 30's and below (-1C to 3C for those of you smart enough to use the metric system). My '21 SR+ with the heat pump/octovalve only seemed to lose about 5-10% last winter at its worst. Both cars are used as highway runners, though he runs more than me (180k miles in 4 years).

If anything, I'd estimate the Cybertruck would lose a lower percentage of it's battery as compared to my Model 3, since it's going to be less efficient overall (though obviously with a larger battery).

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
Wow, reading about these huge range drops in the winter really has me hoping Elon sticks to the original 500 mile estimate for at least one model of Cybertruck, or offer a 500 mile pack to those willing to pay for it as long as it can be engineered to fit in the vehicle.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Early adopters have discovered the shortcoming and some are in the rush to sell their unit.
Please don't spread FUD. Or repost liars. It's just not okay.

If this were true, we'd see a crash in the prices, as we haven't. We'd also see reviews where the reviewer wasn't dishonest about their speed and loads.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Please don't spread FUD. Or repost liars. It's just not okay.

If this were true, we"d see a crash in the prices, as we haven't. We'd also see reviews where the reviewer wasn't dishonest about their speed and loads.

-Crissa
These are posts in F150 Lightning forum of supposedly owners based on their experience. I would have no reason to think they are lying and if suspected, they would be hammered by the Ford fan boys which is very passionate and vocal in that forum.

Demand is still strong despite and even dealers' (near me) seems to be taking advantage and Ford corporate approach is a seller's market, nagging me to do my order and funneling the orders to higher end Lariat or Platinum.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These are posts in F150 Lightning forum of supposedly owners based on their experience. I would have no reason to think they are lying and if suspected, they would be hammered by the Ford fan boys which is very passionate and vocal in that forum.

Demand is still strong despite and even dealers' (near me) seems to be taking advantage and Ford corporate approach is a seller's market, nagging me to do my order and funneling the orders to higher end Lariat or Platinum.
You have no reason to think they're telling the truth, either. They're random anonymous posts on the internet.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
You have no reason to think they're telling the truth, either. They're random anonymous posts on the internet.

-Crissa
I don't lose sleep over those and won't split hair with you either way. ;)
Sponsored