Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford fusion energi
Occupation
Director
Country flag
Good morning CT friends. one of the downsides of the long wait is too much time to think :)

I was wondering if as production begins to roll out the CT and orders are filled in order of reservation slot what creative ways either through the consumer or the company will people be able to jump ahead and "steal" our slots?

IE: will people be able to walk into a tesla shop or online, order and jump ahead.

overthinking it? yes i am.
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
From what I understand the order is somewhat arbitrary and totally based on trim. Assuming they make the tri-motor variant at a reasonable pace and first, since it is the top end trim, they'd probably want to get through a good deal of those before shipping dual motors.

They also will likely prioritize Tesla/spaceX employees first, so who knows how many that will ultimately be.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
There is no guarantee that reservation slot is the order you will get your vehicle. I put in a reservation just in case it is a factor. Maybe they will contact all reservation holder and offer them to buy at once, if you have the financing/cash. Who knows. I won't be surprised by whatever path it takes.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This weekend my hubby and I went to the local (and by that i mean 2 hours away) Tesla dealer to test drive a Model Y (considering buying) The store advisor told us when you order a vehicle it will go into a queue and it may get produced sooner or later depending on what the factory is doing that particular week. He said they typically do "runs" of cars (IE all long range model Y with white paint and black interior) and full fill the orders that line up with that weeks run. Makes sense from a production standpoint as you can keep the paint booth flowing with the same color and not have to change it throughout the day.

Hence why they say 4-6 weeks for delivery, but you don't know when your car will fall into one of those runs.

I assume the CT will follow the same pattern, as it works for Tesla. So we may see a run of CT with white interior and tri motor then a week of dual motor with black interior etc.

oh and i asked him about any info on the CT, he said other than hes got one reserved they are in the dark about too.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So i'm not sure how Tesla will contact reservation holders. they didn't require an address when reserving. So it's either based on phone number or billing zipcode. I'm assuming they will probably go off of billing zip code. if you lie about your billing zip code, maybe you'll get contacted earlier. But it would probably go off reservation for whatever area they decide to go with first.

I'm in Canada so regardless of my reservating number, i doubt i'll see that beautiful truck before 2023

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Good morning CT friends. one of the downsides of the long wait is too much time to think :)

I was wondering if as production begins to roll out the CT and orders are filled in order of reservation slot what creative ways either through the consumer or the company will people be able to jump ahead and "steal" our slots?

IE: will people be able to walk into a tesla shop or online, order and jump ahead.

overthinking it? yes i am.
I love how you are asking how can I jump ahead of you guys? Mighty impressive. I learn something new everyday on this forum ;)

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I think Tesla will honor the reservations in whatever way makes best business and efficiency modes. You can always "jump ahead" by buying an early delivery at an astronomical secondary market cost. I think there's 100% chance of flippers happening early on.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With Model 3 they did:

Employees first. Then SpaceX. Then they started contacting reservation holders by number, and filled the ones that matched what parts (trim) they had on hand.

There are always some cars that get returned. Or the buyer wanted a different trim after all. Or their check bounced. Whatever. So that created a pool that later buyers could 'jump ahead' into - if they had a matching leftover car, you could get it on the spot. Sometimes that would even be at the show room, but usually just on the web page.

They'll contact using the email and phone you gave them. The configurator will be launched and it'll be on the news.

If they're battery constrained, the tri-motor may not come first. If they're motor constrained, the tri-motor definitely won't be, which is what their original plan called for.

When they start calling people, you'll be offered an up-sell. Or to fit to the parts and trims available to get it faster. And sometimes, if you're willing to pick it up at a service center further away, but usually not. They usually preferred to fill orders nearer to their service locations first.

-Crissa

OP
OP

cole hamer

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford fusion energi
Occupation
Director
Country flag
I love how you are asking how can I jump ahead of you guys? Mighty impressive. I learn something new everyday on this forum ;)
Haha - not all but funny.

OP
OP

cole hamer

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford fusion energi
Occupation
Director
Country flag
Thank you all.

I was just thinking there was a scenario where people could walk into the store and buy one on the spot while some of us were still sitting on our reservation.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
With Model 3 they did:

Employees first. Then SpaceX. Then they started contacting reservation holders by number, and filled the ones that matched what parts (trim) they had on hand.
As I've stated before, the reservation order for Model 3 only mattered while they ramped up. early reservers got early access. Then in June of 2018, they suddenly just sent out an email to EVERYONE and said "first come, first served".

I ordered that night, and got an estimate of an October delivery. We had the car by July 21.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
As I've stated before, the reservation order for Model 3 only mattered while they ramped up. early reservers got early access. Then in June of 2018, they suddenly just sent out an email to EVERYONE and said "first come, first served".

I ordered that night, and got an estimate of an October delivery. We had the car by July 21.
That sounds like a mess but could workout nicely for some of us. Too bad I don’t check my email that often. Did you get a warning the email was coming or the whole thing was a surprise?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
That sounds like a mess but could workout nicely for some of us. Too bad I don’t check my email that often. Did you get a warning the email was coming or the whole thing was a surprise?
Total surprise, was just about to go to bed and happened to look. Told the wife. She said “have fun, I’m too tired” (it was her 30th anniversary present even). ?
Sponsored

Last edited: