Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's because most consumers don't quite understand just how ahead Tesla is in EV tech. It's not just the batteries either, like most assume. For some reason Ford did not change the F-150 to an effective EV design. For example, drag coefficient is extremely important to EVs because they don't have the energy density that ICE vehicles have, but Ford appears to have ignored this fact and just converted an existing design to electric. This alone is going to be a significant range killer, especially at 60+mph
Ford’s strategy is short term. They wanted to get their truck on the market as soon as possible so Tesla doesn’t do to the F150 what they did to the premium auto market (and increasingly downmarket).

Longer term, I can’t see how Ford can keep the F150 as it is. It’s too bulky and has too much drag which makes it extremely expensive to kit out with batteries. Just getting that 230 mile range they likely have a bigger battery than the dual motor Cybertruck.
Sponsored

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Ford’s strategy is short term. They wanted to get their truck on the market as soon as possible so Tesla doesn’t do to the F150 what they did to the premium auto market (and increasingly downmarket).

Longer term, I can’t see how Ford can keep the F150 as it is. It’s too bulky and has too much drag which makes it extremely expensive to kit out with batteries. Just getting that 230 mile range they likely have a bigger battery than the dual motor Cybertruck.
My thoughts exactly. I started getting in to the fluid dynamics with my internet math skills, haha. The best I can figure (since Ford doesn't tell you coefficient of drag), is that the traditional f-150 body will be around 20-30% less efficient at moving through the atmosphere. This is corroborated with this awesome video of a guy running sims, though I think the coefficients of all his models seem a tad high.