Camera based Side Mirrors - What's the user experience? Updates to the CT Interior with additional screens?

MakerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, future Cybertruck via reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I've been having this debate with my brother in-law about how Tesla is going to have to redesign the CT interior to support camera based side mirrors. The big question is "Where do you look" to see the view of your side mirrors. If you all say "Well the center screen on the dash" then that opens up the following questions and concerns:
  • Does the center screen always show both left and right mirror views?
  • Does it switch to the camera view automatically based upon if you put on the blinker?
  • Do I have to look right to go left when changing lanes
  • Overall based upon 25+ years of driving this is going to be hard to unlearn looking for the physical mirrors
Then same arguments above can be made if you think the side mirror views are going to be on the rearview mirror.

So what I've seen on the European cars that have camera side mirrors is that the manufactures have put in small LCD screens inside the car at the corners of the dash/door. Where you normally would look to some degree when looking for an outside mirror. This I think is what Tesla needs to do with the CT for the following reasons:
  • Addresses peoples natural instincts when looking to change lanes
  • Addresses emergency situations where people need to do a quick glance to change lanes in an emergency situation
  • More intuitive when wanting to change lanes versus looking at the screen in the middle of the dash or the rearview mirror.
I know this concern becomes mute when FSD becomes a reality but were not there yet and not everyone is going to use it.

I want my CT to have camera based side mirrors, but I don't want to have to look at the center screen to my right when wanting to change lanes to the left. I'm hoping Tesla updates the interior of the CT and adds these side mirror screens.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It varies wildly by implementation. The Cybertruck prototype was using a mix of these.

People don't seem to have 'natural instincts' to look when they change lanes.

I say this as a motorcyclist who has a pretty good view of the motorists I pass. I assume none of them can see me.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The center screen is bad for a lot of reasons. I’ve seen other implementations of these where they put displays on the front pillar. It’s almost the same place the existing mirrors are and that makes the most sense. Center mirror is also in the same place.

One nice thing about the mirrors is there is no adjusting position based on the driver.

Likely when the beta truck is on the road we’ll have a better idea on this.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I prefer the center screen. That puts the screen closest to your seat, so you get more out of the resolution of the screen, and it puts the multiple views together. It also means people who use bifocals won't be shifting into a less-good intermediate vision in between looking outside and looking inside the cabin.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I would like the screens for side mirrors be put where gauges normally go.

My understanding is the image is stItched into the rear view mirror.

I am also NOT in the know so no quotes

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I prefer the center screen. That puts the screen closest to your seat, so you get more out of the resolution of the screen, and it puts the multiple views together. It also means people who use bifocals won't be shifting into a less-good intermediate vision in between looking outside and looking inside the cabin.

-Crissa
The big two problems with the center screen as I see it.

#1 Looking at the center console means you are looking away from the actual visual input right out your window.

#2 The center console is already doing a lot of things and adding 2-3 always on panels would take away from that useful display space.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can't see the mirror at the same time as looking into the blind spot or behind as you should be.

And people are already bad at checking, I don't see it as being better or worse.

In the Cybertruck, we also have a display in the position of the rear-view mirror.

-Crissa

S3av8r

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3500 / Cybertruck Tri-Motor on order
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
Seems like there would be plenty of room to put a small screen in each A-pillar. Could set it to always on or on with turn signal. Or maybe full time BSM indications only and then the camera on only with turn signal.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Seems like some one, in another thread somewhere about the side mirrors , indicated some small area on the doors fwd edge where it looked like a nice scene could be implemented if needed… had a nice screen grab picture and everything !

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Why not put it all on the rear view screen?

I like the idea of placing a screen directly in front of the driver with all angles displayed, then getting rid of the rear view mirror position, opening up the wind shield. This screen isn't for speed or to replicate traditional dash displays, but just for external views.

I'm a huge fan of the central big screen for everything that is "automated", like speed, temp, directions, and in my case, lane changing. I don't really check mirrors at all with fsd when freeway driving... It's never put me or other drivers at risk yet.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Why not put it all on the rear view screen?

I like the idea of placing a screen directly in front of the driver with all angles displayed, then getting rid of the rear view mirror position, opening up the wind shield. This screen isn't for speed or to replicate traditional dash displays, but just for external views.

I'm a huge fan of the central big screen for everything that is "automated", like speed, temp, directions, and in my case, lane changing. I don't really check mirrors at all with fsd when freeway driving... It's never put me or other drivers at risk yet.
I’d be up for trying HUD for outside rear views L+R…your suggestion is better than anything I have seen, heard or used camera-based.

That beta FSD coaxing your inner Italian driving style, eh? I’m in my mirrors 60% time. I doubt I can drop the old habits as fast as FSD removes the mirrors entirely.

Your driver outside rearview display might be the pacifier needed between physical mirrors and mirrorless cameras.

S3av8r

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3500 / Cybertruck Tri-Motor on order
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
If the suggestion is to add side view displays to the rear view “mirror” display, I see problems with this:
1) it will crowd the already small screen decreasing detail. There are SUVs (Armada) that have a rear view display option in the mirror and it sucks. To split that display into three images would be horrendous!
2) When a person changes lanes, generally it would be a good idea to be looking in that same direction. A left hand turn in the above suggestion would have the driver looking right and turning left. ?‍♂
3) Finally, as a Pilot, I define HUD as Heads Up Display, meaning an image projected out to infinity on a transparent material (the windshield or side windows). Problem with the side windows is if you drive with the windows down. The problem with the front windows is the image brightness in your face at night. Traditional HUDs are usually single color (green) images with simple detail, numbers, letters and lines that are easy to focus thru and reflect minimal lighting. A HUD video would not be transparent.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
While some people may think drivers don't look based on being nearly killed on a motorcycle, I do the traditional SMOG when changing lanes - Signal, Mirror, Over the Shoulder, Go. I am currently teaching my 15 year old daughter the same. I've been doing this for 34 years so I would have a hard time looking anywhere but the direction I intend to go. In other words, a central display would be a no-go for a left lane change (faster/changing lanes) and for right turns (merging/slowing) would be a weird, significant, doable adjustment.

Are we confirmed for no side mirrors??!? I thought the issue was dependent on sign-off from NTSB.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Seems like some one, in another thread somewhere about the side mirrors , indicated some small area on the doors fwd edge where it looked like a nice scene could be implemented if needed… had a nice screen grab picture and everything !
Yes, I couldn't find the previous image. So I went and did a screen grab from Ben Sullins video shot at the reveal night. Look at the size of the rearview monitor in the center of the windshield to give you a sense of scale. It sure looks like Tesla is planning to put a monitor on that huge pillar to me. When this was shown on this forum last year, some people thought this was an audio speaker. It just looks like an obvious choice of where to have a monitor for the side mirror.

Tesla Cybertruck Camera based Side Mirrors - What's the user experience?  Updates to the CT Interior with additional screens? sidemirror

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It varies wildly by implementation. The Cybertruck prototype was using a mix of these.

People don't seem to have 'natural instincts' to look when they change lanes.

I say this as a motorcyclist who has a pretty good view of the motorists I pass. I assume none of them can see me.

-Crissa
yep...been riding for over 250k miles on BMW Motorcycles....when I pass, hardly anyone looks at me....its terrible next to the carpool lanes.....never can tell when some guy/gal is just going to pull in there....99% time they dont look because they assume the carpool lane is empty, never expecting to see a bike
Sponsored