Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Haven't met any yet. But I'm sure it does mean the same thing as Elon is a university trained software engineer. Feature complete testing is all it means. Add whatever extra meanings you want, but it's purely assumption.
The problem is the concept doesn't quite translate super well to hardware.

Beta testing the build process? That makes a lot more sense arguably.

If they don't build the trucks on the final assembly line is it really a beta? It's all weird.
Sponsored

OP
OP
electricAK

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Somebody should just ask Elon on Twitter. I don't do the Twitter, so I can't. :)

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
The problem is the concept doesn't quite translate super well to hardware.

Beta testing the build process? That makes a lot more sense arguably.

If they don't build the trucks on the final assembly line is it really a beta? It's all weird.
Fair point! I know nothing about vehicle production lines

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Beta for cars is pre-production, where they shake out the assembly processes and figure out how to produce them. They're still hand-crafted one-off pieces. Aptera is also in Beta. This is where they finalize regulations and suppliers.

Alpha is the prototype, when they're refining the design. Beta is figuring out how to get the design into a production process.

Sometimes Beta ends up in people's hands, like for the Rivian trucks on Long Way Up. Or the Semis that Tesla has handed out to corporate clients.

After Beta comes production-intent, when they try to put it together as if it were coming from a factory. They make alot more of them, and these are used for final crash-testing by third-party. There's rumors that Tesla crash-tests Betas for validation of design. They have their own crash-test facility.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
This Tesla interview explains the Alpha, Beta and a release candidate stages before production starts. This video shows the Alpha stage of early Model S development that was finally released over the summer of 2012. Tesla built 20 copies during this stage of development.

Tesla leadership confirmed in its earnings call that Cybertruck is currently in this stage (Alpha). You’ll recognize some faces in the video. One is now the CEO of Lucid, Peter Rawlinson. The other is the Jerome Guillen, the former executive who was heading the Class 8 Semi program.

Last edited:
OP
OP
electricAK

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
This Tesla interview explains the Alpha, Beta and a release candidate stages before production starts. This video shows the Alpha stage of early Model S development that was finally released over the summer of 2012. Tesla built 20 copies during this stage of development.

Tesla leadership confirmed in its earnings call that Cybertruck is currently in this stage (Alpha). You’ll recognize some faces in the video. One is now the CEO of Lucid, Peter Rawlinson. The other is the Jerome Guillen, the former executive who was heading the Class 8 Semi program.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!
Sponsored