Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Via CNBC

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk wasn't sure anybody would buy the Cybertruck. That turned out well :) Musk Cybertruck

Elon Musk on Tesla’s Cybertruck: ‘I wasn’t sure if nobody would buy it’

February 5, 2020

Tesla CEO Elon Musk personally thinks the company’s Cybertruck is Tesla’s “best product ever,” but he wasn’t sure many other people would like its futuristic design.

“I wasn’t sure if nobody would buy it or if a lot of people would buy it,” Musk said of the truck’s November debut on a recent Third Row Tesla podcast.

The electric truck’s angular body is based in part on a 1976 Lotus Esprit sports car Musk bought in 2013 for nearly $1 million. The car was used in the 1977 James Bond movie, “The Spy Who Loved Me.”

“I told the team, ‘Listen, if nobody wants to buy this, we could always make one that looks like the other trucks.’ Like ‘OK, that was a weird failure, but now we’ll make one that looks like the others,’” he said on the podcast.

But Musk said there was method behind his design madness.

“A lot of reasons why people buy pickup trucks in the U.S. is because it’s the most bad-ass truck. Which one’s the toughest truck?” he said on the podcast. So “what’s tougher than a truck? A tank. A tank from the future.

“How do you out-tough a truck? You make a futuristic armored personnel carrier. It’s gonna be pretty special and not like other things,” he said.

Musk said his “inspiration board” for the pickup also included the movies ”‘Blade Runner,’ ‘Mad Max,’ ‘Back to the Future,’ ‘Aliens’ – that’s why it looks like that.”

“You want to have these things that inspire people and feels different,” Musk said on the podcast. “Everything else is the same, like variations on the same theme.”

Still, the truck did initially receive a mixed response.

At the Cybertruck’s unveiling, Tesla’s chief designer, Franz Von Holzhausen, threw a metal ball at one the Cybertruck’s “bulletproof” windows to prove its durability. The window cracked. A second attempt cracked too.

Tesla stock tanked 6% that day and the truck was “met with mixed reactions on Wall Street as some balked at its unusual design,” CNBC reported at the time.

But according to Musk, the broken window didn’t impact the number of Cybertruck pre-orders – on Nov. 26, the Tesla CEO tweeted that the company received 250,000 pre-orders.
Sponsored

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I am glad the window glass broke at the unveil, no disrespect. Because of it, Elon Musk will make the glass even tougher when CT released.

CT= "futuristic armored personnel carrier."

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I am glad the window glass broke at the unveil, no disrespect. Because of it, Elon Musk will make the glass even tougher when CT released.

CT= "futuristic armored personnel carrier."
I agree with you and it breaking had zero impact on my reservation. Even though it broke I’m assuming that the glass is an improvement on existing OEM glass from others.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I agree with you and it breaking had zero impact on my reservation. Even though it broke I’m assuming that the glass is an improvement on existing OEM glass from others.
Same for me. I placed my reservation as soon as Elon Musk said "you could order now if you would like", I ordered my CT and I am still about 10k th in line. What sold for me is an EV (CT) with 500+ range, stainless steel, reasonable price (tri-motor for me), unique, from Tesla, Made In The USA.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
I'm with you Sunny! 500 mile range, SS, reasonably priced, Tri motor! Ya. I placed my order. I only wish I had kept trying the first day when the lines were all jammed up. I ordered it two days later and I'm about 200K. I'll wait patiently. In the mean time I'll be driving my newly acquired MS! I love it and I think we will loving our CT when they arrive.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I always think it's funny when people bring that up when any other truck window would have just shattered.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I always think it's funny when people bring that up when any other truck window would have just shattered.
I tried to point that out to skeptical friends; they did not get it. Also, they have never had a side window broken. I lost the passenger window after it was shot by a pellet gun. In that instance the window shattered in glass bits on the inside of the truck. It was a mess to clean up. Also, the demo prior to them throwing the metal ball showed just how tough the glass is. I was really impressed with the metal ball drop. If you tried that with any other OEM glass it would be destroyed.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I have never lost a side window however the back window on trucks and SUVs 4 times. I am really excited about stronger glass in the back window.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
And it is common to see people driving with plastic over a side or back window because it has been smashed. It is not fun to loose a window in the winter. Makes for a cold drive.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I drive upwards of 35000 miles a year in my work truck, I've already had to replace two windshields due to cracks from debris and I can't wait to have the peace of mind knowing that I have that tough of glass in front it me.

Last edited:

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
All my cars and trucks have windows ( I am trying to show all of you how silly you have taken a thread.....)

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I was happy as shitt that he referred to as something other than a truck.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I was happy as shitt that he referred to as something other than a truck.
I've always been a big sci-fi guy, so I'm glad I'll finally have a daily driver that looks the part. My big white work trucks are practical, but I'm excited for driving an IRL apc from cyberpunk games and movies.