List of features that I would like to opt out

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
In an event of a crash or water entry, large steel bearings deploy with message to use to break glass. One out of the yoke, two, one east side of the sail compartments.

No need to worry about the airbag behind the bearing.
OMG! I’m going to steal your idea. I’m going to sell giant ball bearings with “Use to break glass in case of emergency” etched into them. Brilliant!
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
OMG! I’m going to steal your idea. I’m going to sell giant ball bearings with “Use to break glass in case of emergency” etched into them. Brilliant!
I had the same thought but decided against. Have at it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What year Nova? I had a '79 Oldmobile Omega which was the same body as that years Nova. It had bucket seats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevy_II_/_Nova#Fourth_Generation_(1973-1974)
Two-door, '73, lemon yellow blacked out with matte black to match the SS grill. The remaining yellow was just as two longitudinal stripes over the top. We called it Bumble Bee Zoomer because it rumbled and could set off all the car alarms in the downtown garage - tho at least not unintentionally after we got the muffler fixed.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
If you want the bearings to break the glass so you can get out in an emergency, they had better be giga-bearings. Because the regular baseball sized bearing Franz used failed to break the window open. It just cracked it and bounced off!

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
-glass roof. I don’t like sunroofs or glass roofs of any kind. Operational ones fail and they all eventually leak. I see zero benefits to not having a steel roof. An insulated roof will have a higher R value and more structural integrity. Glass expands and contracts at different rates and is not as safe in a crash. I don’t see any benefits to passing UV to occupants or the interior components. I want a stainless roof with imbedded Solar panels to help with hvac and maintain batteries when parked.

-Aircraft style control yoke. They work fine in an aircraft because they typically only rotate about 90 degrees and they don’t block the flight instruments. Most vehicles have much more travel and I think it would be awkward to turn the yoke upside down. When an aircraft is trimmed you don’t have to have a hand on it all of the time either. I sometimes like to hold the steering wheel with my leg in a car to momentarily free up my hands. Not possible with an aircraft type yoke. I also like to lay my hands on top of the wheel sometimes. I would rather have a wheel with a center hub that did not rotate so thumb switches don’t invert.

-Carpet. Carpet stains and retains dirt and odors. I only want removable floor Matt’s and drain plugs in the low points of the foot wells. My carpet would be completely ruined in less than a year.

-Integral tail gate ramp. I have no use for that. In the rare event that I need a ramp I am fine with a portable folding one. The one being offered is just weight, complexity and expense to me. I work my trucks and a tailgate typically lasts me about 50,000 miles before I wear it out or ruin it in some manner. I like being able to obtain a good replacement from a junkyard for a hundred bucks or so. I also like that they are light weight and removable by one person when loading a heavy pallet with a fork lift.

-Over the windscreen light bar. Unnecessary gimmick. Causes glare. Lights belong in the front.

-Middle front folding seat. Don’t want it or need it. I would prefer storage space below the arm rest console. Maybe even an insulated hot/cold hvac box.

-Bullet proof glass. Seems impractical and unsafe for being rescued. Never needed it and probably never will.
It might have saved you time and money if you watched the reveal for the Cybertruck, you could have seen all those features you don't have a use for before you dropped a deposit?

Bitmaster

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
-glass roof. I don’t like sunroofs or glass roofs of any kind. Operational ones fail and they all eventually leak. I see zero benefits to not having a steel roof. An insulated roof will have a higher R value and more structural integrity. Glass expands and contracts at different rates and is not as safe in a crash. I don’t see any benefits to passing UV to occupants or the interior components. I want a stainless roof with imbedded Solar panels to help with hvac and maintain batteries when parked.

-Aircraft style control yoke. They work fine in an aircraft because they typically only rotate about 90 degrees and they don’t block the flight instruments. Most vehicles have much more travel and I think it would be awkward to turn the yoke upside down. When an aircraft is trimmed you don’t have to have a hand on it all of the time either. I sometimes like to hold the steering wheel with my leg in a car to momentarily free up my hands. Not possible with an aircraft type yoke. I also like to lay my hands on top of the wheel sometimes. I would rather have a wheel with a center hub that did not rotate so thumb switches don’t invert.

-Carpet. Carpet stains and retains dirt and odors. I only want removable floor Matt’s and drain plugs in the low points of the foot wells. My carpet would be completely ruined in less than a year.

-Integral tail gate ramp. I have no use for that. In the rare event that I need a ramp I am fine with a portable folding one. The one being offered is just weight, complexity and expense to me. I work my trucks and a tailgate typically lasts me about 50,000 miles before I wear it out or ruin it in some manner. I like being able to obtain a good replacement from a junkyard for a hundred bucks or so. I also like that they are light weight and removable by one person when loading a heavy pallet with a fork lift.

-Over the windscreen light bar. Unnecessary gimmick. Causes glare. Lights belong in the front.

-Middle front folding seat. Don’t want it or need it. I would prefer storage space below the arm rest console. Maybe even an insulated hot/cold hvac box.

-Bullet proof glass. Seems impractical and unsafe for being rescued. Never needed it and probably never will.
I agree with most of those, especially the yoke. I am also not sure I am a fan of the minimalist approach Tesla is taking with the CT.

OP
OP
Hydrocharging

Hydrocharging

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, 65 VW bus, TDI Passat, TDI Rabbit truck, BE33, C152A, NAOV10A, PA23
Occupation
Retired Aircraft and parts dealer
Country flag
It might have saved you time and money if you watched the reveal for the Cybertruck, you could have seen all those features you don't have a use for before you dropped a deposit?

Geez-never said any of those items were deal breakers. They are just features that I would prefer to have as options that I would not choose.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I mostly agree.
I wouldn't pay extra for a glass roof and would rather pay less for a vehicle without it. Plus it seems like it would be very heavy. I know the 3mm SS is also heavy but is it as heavy as the glass?

I worry about road trips with the yoke. Finding a long-range comfortable hand position could be a problem. But I'm also curious about trying it out. So I don't really care.

Also not a fan of carpet in trucks, but I think it does help cut down on some road noise.

I have an ATV and I would on occasion use the integrated ramp. I hate using removable ramps. I like this integrated feature, but I would like to know how much I'm paying for it. I might not like it as much after I learn that answer.

I've never had a light bar but I've always thought the orangish/yellow cab lights on 3/4 ton trucks were cool and I think this CT light bar provides that option. Not sure about the glare. I would like to know the cost.

I like the middle front folding seat. I've had this in every truck I've owned. I don't use it often but I'm glad the option is there when I need it.

How much weight are these options? Is the roof 25lbs heavier than a steel roof, the carpet 25lbs of added weight, the ramp 50lbs, the light bar 15lbs? How much more range do I get with 115 fewer lbs of weight and how much less could I buy the truck for without these items?

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
The glare that people tend to have with roof mounted lights, is glare off of the hood. With the hood dropping away, it likely won't be a problem in the CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
ALON has about the same weight per thickness as polylaminate glass, but it is far, far stronger so you need much less.

The glass roof doesn't need additional insulation or structure, unlike the sheet steel, nor does the structure need to be designed to deal with the extra load-transfer in collision testing of the steel vs the glass which will have a break point.

The glass also tends to cost less per sqft so it may be overall a cost savings for Tesla.

I've never had a light bar but I've always thought the orangish/yellow cab lights on 3/4 ton trucks were cool and I think this CT light bar provides that option. Not sure about the glare. I would like to know the cost.
They are required by law for large trucks. If you watch the release night video, it does this.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Tesla is like Apple; they've realized that fewer choices translate into a better delivery model and overall experience. Particularly when it comes to peoples' weird attachments to anachronisms and assumptions on what they "need" before they even try to do something a new way. Remember when all the Pocket PC phones "needed" 57 buttons on them to do everything possible? Apple said "no" and now we have a Tesla that takes the same design cues for a car. Nah, you don't need a dash with 57 buttons, or to be able to order one of 213 possible options (seriously, that's how many were available for my Jeep). I've always hated how busy the Jeep dash was, and it got worse, not better, going from a 2015 to a 2020. And Chevy dashes are even worse than that.

"Here are your three options, in four colors." Choose wisely, move on.

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
-glass roof....
-Aircraft style control yoke...
-Carpet..
-Integral tail gate ramp...
-Over the windscreen light bar...
-Middle front folding seat...
-Bullet proof glass...
I agree with some of those (yoke / carpet / light bar / front seat storage / bullet proof glass)...

But, I like the idea of the glass roof... and would love to be able to remove it and have the open air.

The ramp is definitely something I want. I always had a hard time putting bikes and other large items in the truck bed. I would love to drag up a hand truck or dolly instead of lifting.

I would add that I don't want to get rid of the side mirrors, unless they place a small video screen in the corners, where my instincts tell me to look. Glancing right... to the center when pulling a left out of a parking space is not intuitive.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i would keep the glass roof, tailgate ramp and adjustable air suspension. everything else is just fluff to me

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Lose the rear steering but keep all the others including the light bar. Love the no frills lean design, minimalism is my thing, hence the name. That tailgate will be perfect for loading the Super Duke.