John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
There are more than a couple "Ifs" on Tesla's side too.

If 4680 ever comes out of beta being the biggie right now.
Absolutely right…..but if I was a betting man, I think I would bet on the guy working on battery manufacturing issues now….rather than guy that says he may have a new battery in another 4 or 5 years.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Absolutely right…..but if I was a betting man, I think I would bet on the guy working on battery manufacturing issues now….rather than guy that says he may have a new battery in another 4 or 5 years.
GM has been making EVs for how many years?

Seems to me there is a working smarter component to this in addition to amount of time in the game. Ford is a much more interesting competitor than GM. Still well behind Tesla at this point, but they seem to be making a lot more effective use of the time than GM.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
If you see a Cyrbertruck owner.... let me know so I can shake their hand.
so we are all frauds…….?

I vote on changing the name…..” Hoping to be Cybertruck Owners Club”

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
IMO There is room for both companies in the post 2021 EV era. Tesla is ahead on commitment and focus to EVs, but Ford has a lot of plants, engineers, and logistics to throw at EVs - over time. It's true Ford can't turn their ship fast so they will lose market share to Tesla (and probably Chinese EVs) between now and 2024, but if Ford can improve on the Mach e and the Lightning, add some more models, and figure out the battery supply, they might be able to compete. Plus if they need financial aid, I think the US Government will stuff their pockets with loans/cash.
Yes, there is plenty of room in the auto market for others to compete with Tesla, the question is, will others be able to compete on price?

Here's the problem for Ford and GM: Tesla is rapidly innovating to reduce the cost of making vehicles, from the batteries to the motors to the chassis. Ford and GM are always trying to do this as well but Tesla is innovating faster. Every new factory Tesla builds contains their learnings from the previous generation factory. Elon has said the real product is not the vehicle, it's the factory. This is where Ford and GM's factories, management structure and logistics are not an advantage, they are an anchor.

You seem to admit that Ford can't "turn their ship" as quickly but you don't address how they will ever catch up once they manage to turn their ship around. Because they will need to travel faster than the fast, narrow destroyer that is Tesla. Because Tesla is constantly bringing new innovations to their factories to make better cars for less money. Ford and GM have been making the cost of their products go up with each new generation.

Remember, a primary component of being competitive is cost to produce and that gap continues to widen, not narrow. This means Ford and GM will only be able to sell their over-priced wares as long as Tesla cannot supply the entire market. Tesla's business plan is to continue to expand production by 50%-80% every year and to constantly reduce the cost to manufacture to ensure they can sell every vehicle they make. Something tells me Ford and GM don't stand an ice cubes chance in hell unless the American people are willing to do more auto bailouts.

I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of my tax money going to support inefficient and uncompetitive corporations that have huge debt loads and can only make a profit during good times and need government assistance during bad times. This perverts capitalism and removes all that is good about real competition.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Buttigieg said electric cars don't have tailpipe emissions.

Oh, wrong, that is exactly why Tesla & other full electric cars should have been there. We do not need to settle for more insignificant reductions, with BEVs we can eliminate tailpipe emissions entirely !!! Shouldn't that be the ultimate reduction goal !!

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Our plan was always to get a Model Y and then when the CT comes my wife would get the Model Y and trade in her Model 3 toward my CT. In the meantime she drives the Model 3 and I drive the Model Y. The only problem is that now I want to wait until the GigaAustin Model Ys start rolling off the line (because of the front casting and maybe better/more awesome paint).
yea, my wife has a 2019 M3 and I have 2020 MS.....ordered CT3.......I want to get CT, give my wife there MS and sell or trade the M3........BUT, as usual, she does not like that and does not want to give up her M3.....my MS has free charging but she still say no....so I guess I will trade or sell my MS with 11k miles to get there CT.......or maybe sell to trade my wife after 51 yrs......hehehehe

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the CT isn't built yet because:
1) the factory isn't built